• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need a dosage plan for oxycodone taper

sadmachine

Bluelighter
Currently using about 70-80mg of oxycodone a day. Usually 50mg-60mg in the afternoon then 20-30mg before bed. Started using 3-4 months ago, have taken weeks off here and there but only recently started getting WD symptons. Sometimes I escape pretty much symptom free but this time around it's been a 2-3 week binge and I'm getting really bad headaches, dizziness, muscle aches and enormous pupils. I'm hoping to taper off almost symptom free since it's still a pretty light habit, I would cold turkey it but i've just moved in with my partner and the massive pupils are a bit too suspicious.

I have roughly 150mg left, what's my best plan of action from here to taper off smoothly? I'm concerned about accidentally prolonging/increasing my withdrawal by continuing taking it everyday if I don't get the taper dosages right. Also have clonazepam and clonidine on hand for after the oxy is out of my system.

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe wait until the wd symptons kick in, take a dose not large enough to really do anything fun (say 10-20mg) then the next day take half that and so on? Would that help or would I just be increasing the eventual withdrawal? I really have no knowledge in this area so anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think most ppl agree u can drop your dosage to half straight away without going into wds. From then on out its just steady small reductions. Tbh if you're taking 80mg a day .the 150 isn't going to be enough to get you out painlessly. Maybe summit like 40,30,20,20,10,10,10,5,5. It won't be painless but will help.

Ppl also use kratom and benzos as the dosing reduces.

Can u buy more?. I mean if u can just stabilize yourself around 30 then just drop 5 each week/fortnight until you feel ok. Prob the most painless way. u won't get any enjoyment from them in reduction but it'll get u where u wan't to be

Probably should have mentioned have only been dosing 70-80mg the last 3-4 days, before that it was mostly 30-40mg a day.

Probably should have mentioned have only been dosing 70-80mg the last 3-4 days, before that it was mostly 30-40mg a day.
I would suggest going back to normal dosing asap. The longer you wait....
What's the endgame?
Is it a necessity med for legitimate use and a need for quality of life or is it just a habit?

Hi, how is it going for you?
Im pretty much in the same situation, and looking for a way to tapper with a limited number of oxy pills.

The difference is that I consume much less, just 10mg per day for the past five weeks. I tried to reduce slightly, and I realized it was going to hurt. This isn't my first experience with opioid withdrawal. I took tramadol for 4 years and stopped a year and a half ago, cold Turkey and it was very hard.
I have 10 10mg oxys left and want to tapper it without feeling like hell cuz I have too many responsibilities right now.

I have one pregabaline 300, and 4 gabapentine 300
impossible to find kratom in my country

Do you think five weeks of 10mg oral oxy will hurt a lot when stopping with a taper ?
That's quite a low dose and duration of use. I wouldn't expect severe withdrawals even with immediate cessation. You might feel a little rough for 4-7 days. You could drop to 5mg a day for a week, then 2.5mg for a week and experience v. minimal withdrawals after that if you're worried. Personally I'd just stop taking them cold turkey at that dosage level and ride out the mild discomfort for 4 days - week.

Last edited:
Currently using about 70-80mg of oxycodone a day. Usually 50mg-60mg in the afternoon then 20-30mg before bed. Started using 3-4 months ago, have taken weeks off here and there but only recently started getting WD symptons. Sometimes I escape pretty much symptom free but this time around it's been a 2-3 week binge and I'm getting really bad headaches, dizziness, muscle aches and enormous pupils. I'm hoping to taper off almost symptom free since it's still a pretty light habit, I would cold turkey it but i've just moved in with my partner and the massive pupils are a bit too suspicious.

I have roughly 150mg left, what's my best plan of action from here to taper off smoothly? I'm concerned about accidentally prolonging/increasing my withdrawal by continuing taking it everyday if I don't get the taper dosages right. Also have clonazepam and clonidine on hand for after the oxy is out of my system.

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe wait until the wd symptons kick in, take a dose not large enough to really do anything fun (say 10-20mg) then the next day take half that and so on? Would that help or would I just be increasing the eventual withdrawal? I really have no knowledge in this area so anyone who could help would be greatly appreciated.
Purposeful hitting withdrawal, then after a day or maybe 2 (if you can), take half your normal. I sometime use to do that to cut back quickly. And I would do that when I didn't have nothing to do so I wouldn't look like a fucking wreck. The thing that made it easyer for me was knowing I was going to get some while feeling like shit.... Will power was important though...

That's quite a low dose and duration of use. I wouldn't expect severe withdrawals even with immediate cessation. You might feel a little rough for 4-7 days. You could drop to 5mg a day for a week, then 2.5mg for a week and experience v. minimal withdrawals after that if you're worried. Personally I'd just stop taking them cold turkey at that dosage level and ride out the mild discomfort for 4 days - week.
Thank you for your response. A few days ago, I slightly reduced the dosage, and the next day, I really felt the withdrawal effects – diarrhea, muscle pain, a terrible sensation. I hope pregabalin and gabapentin will alleviate these unpleasant sensations when im done tapering. I know I’m stressing myself more then necessary that’s my problem always stressing myself fort everything it’s exhausting

Thank you for your response. A few days ago, I slightly reduced the dosage, and the next day, I really felt the withdrawal effects – diarrhea, muscle pain, a terrible sensation. I hope pregabalin and gabapentin will alleviate these unpleasant sensations when im done tapering. I know I’m stressing myself more then necessary that’s my problem always stressing myself fort everything it’s exhausting
Yes, try not to overthink things. Comfort medications like pregabalin will definitely help, as well as the gabapentin. If you take some loperamide that may help with some of the diarrhea and other ill effects; it binds to opiate receptors but won't get you high. Low doses of benzos like valium will help with muscle pain and sleep if that is an issue. You may also want to look into clonidine if that is available to you. Remember, the worst will be over in a week or so at those doses and your duration of use. Don't use the benzos at high doses and for more than a week, benzo withdrawal and addicition is much worse ime. Best of luck!