• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment NC Sub Doc Who Takes Insurance?

sodhaeisha

Greenlighter
Does anyone know of any practice within about a max of two hours away from Greensboro, NC that prescribes MAT that will not demand a huge up-front deposit and will bill my partner's insurance for med checks instead of insisting on cash only? He loves the practice he is at now, but they will not increase his dose of Zubsolv or let him stay on it for more than a year. I am not pleased because I paid over $1000 to get him established at this practice and can't afford to do that again on top of being required to cash pay for all visits (his current practice bills his insurance). He doesn't want to be chained to some clinic he has to visit every day or even every week. This MAT racket is ridiculous. My partner was on 135mgs of methadone for five years and then switched to Zubsolv last August. He is well aware that if he does not have MAT, he will likely start abusing opiates again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

1000 dollars is outrageous. I'm gonna have to close this until I consult the other mods as it could be considered sourcing. But your best bet is to do a Google search of sub providers in North carolina or whatever city your close too. I never paid more than 300 dollars for getting inducted on sub. And those other rules are bills hit too. Call around use the Internet call hospitals just get all the info you can from as many sources as possible.

OP, welcome to BL! We have a strict no drug solicitation policy on BL per the terms you agreed to in the BLUA when you created you account. As long as your thread is about helping your partner find equitable treatments and not just drugs, I think we can leave this thread open for now.

Please check out SAMSHA's buprenorphine treatment locator and methadone locators:
Use those links to find a buprenorphine or methadone treatment provider for your partner in your area. You will have to call around specific places to see if they have any openings and if the doctors take your insurance.

I for one found the structure of the methadone program to be much more conducive to my long term sobriety than getting buprenorphine from a doctor. It provided me with much more structure and therapeutic support. Perhaps it would be worthwhile looking into another methadone clinic as well? Some are much better than others.

I'd also suggest your partner look into taking generic suboxone/subutex as opposed to Zubsolv. It is a lot cheaper and exactly the same medication (albeit slightly different dosages, which he can adjust for himself; buprenorphine also has naloxone in it, which is an issue for some people, but subutex is generic and exactly the same as Zubsolv).

Good luck OP!

I second the vote for methadone. I floundered on suboxone for 5 years 2 years on methadone and I'm heroine free

If you're going to be on Suboxone, please don't pay such an outrageous price for treatment. The higher priced out-patient Suboxone services are possibly over-priced, and no better than an affordable doctor.

Hey Everyone! Thanks for your replies. Here is my/our dilemma--my partner's current doc bills his insurance for his med checks and he really appreciates the freedom that bupenorphrine vs. methadone gives him. While methadone kept him opiate-free for five years, he continued to misuse other drugs, so he moved 30 minutes away to get away from the places and people that were making it hard to stay off other stuff and has been able to return to work and resume a healthier lifestyle with his current meds/provider. His insurance also covers the Zubsolv. Our problem is that most practices I have consulted want a deposit to get the patient in and then expect cash payments on top of that for each visit and won't bill insurance. Right now, my partner's MAT costs us a grand total of $30/mo, plus his very affordable insurance premium. I have basically begged the practice he is at now to re-evaluate this one-year policy, as I have been a psychiatric patient there in very good standing since 2009--that is why I recommend that doc for him to begin with--and he has been extremely compliant with their program (not missing appointments, always passes drug tests, attends required therapy, etc.). Anyhow, I have tried everything suggested here, it's just that neither my partner nor I have the time to call every sub practice in NC trying to find a good/affordable match. I will wait and see what his current practice says next week and also check out the case management service we just found out our insurance company provides. I was told they could help with this issue. Will let you all know what I find out. Thanks!!

That's a terribley poor practice on there part that has no basis in science but that is how addiction medicine goes it seems. All the advice I would give would be to manipulate the situation however you can