• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Natural source psychedelic phenethylamines?

^^ Ya, not very much but it's there. Which is cool because it's the only species of cactus that will survive in my climate, all the others I have to bring in during the winter. Never actually extracted Opuntia for a bioassay though, an idea for a future experiment.

yep they are pretty hardy, although a recent 9 degree night a few weeks ago took down a few of ours

Really? I live in southern Ontario and nighttime in January goes down easily to -30C, 0F is -18C, just so you can get a ballpark of how cold that is.

Our Opuntias seem to survive it, maybe we have a specific species that can tolerate colder temps, I just hope it's active enough for bioassay :)

There are three opuntias in Canada. I live in the southern interior of BC where there is one of them (opuntia polycantha), another one lives on the prairies (opuntia fragilis) and the third is opuntia humifusa, which I am somewhat envious that you have seen, because they are endangered and beautiful with a quite limited range, and Southern Ontario is one of the parts of this country I would like to see. The only other cactus native to Canada is escobaria vivipara, which is a small, round plant with really nice flowers that grows on the prairies, mostly in Saskatchewan.

Having eaten a bunch of the local prickly pears as vegetables, I can say that these ones aren't very active, and although I don't know what mescaline feels like enough to know what a threshold dose would do, given the fact that there are a number of opuntias used as food, I think that the possibility of any one of them causing any kind of psychoactivity distinguishable from placebo to be fairly unlikely. The presence of mescaline in most opuntias that have had it show up in them is pretty trace to my knowledge.

I read in Jonathan Ott's Ayahuasca Analogues that shamans in South America have added certain opuntias to caapi containing brews. But in reading that book, one realizes that many, many medicinal and psychoactive plants are added to ayahuasca/yage from region to region, and a lot of things seem to be added for more medicinal purposes than psychedelic purposes.

The fact that you say Opuntias are used for food indicates a very low alkaloid content. Alkaloids taste like shit. They're actually a defensive mechanism to deter animals from eating the cactus because of the awful taste. Drinking a tea made from a trichocereus cactus with enough alkaloids to give you a mescaline dose is one of the most revolting taste experiences I've ever had.

I kinda figured Opuntias had negligible alkaloid content, if they were active a lot more people would talking about them.

And the BC interior is one of the parts of the country I would like to see, we'll have to trade places sometime.

Why is noone else looking for aquatic entheogens? After learning that several sea sponges contain the interesting (at least to me) 5-bromo-dmt and 5,6 dibromo-dmt, I've been looking into aquatic entheogens, but theres just info to go through...

I've read about those seas sponges. Interesting indeed. Aquatic entheogens are a whole new psychedelic frontier, the main problem with them is aquisition. Unless you live somewhere that they grow and can go scuba diving to harvest them, where are you going to get it?

Ah! It was a species of fish (kyphosus fuscus)reported by the Norfolk Islanders to be hallucinogenic, but really, no research has been done and the assumptions that have been made to it containing DMT or 5-MeO-DMT are pretty much conjecture.

I think the possibility of undiscovered psychoactive compounds in undersea life is pretty high though,considering the fact that we have had way more contact with terrestrial life, and the fact that indoles and phenethylamines are so enormously widespread in all sorts of lifeforms.

I think the possibility of undiscovered psychoactive compounds in undersea life is pretty high though,considering the fact that we have had way more contact with terrestrial life, and the fact that indoles and phenethylamines are so enormously widespread in all sorts of lifeforms.

Indeedily-doodily, It's a whole other half of the biosphere that we haven't even really looked at yet when it comes to entheogens. If they are present in terrstrial life you can bet your bottom dollar they're present in aquatic life also.

Hahaha.

I'm a vegan, so no trip-fish for me! Or toad venom *shivers*

Some amount research has actually been conducted on aquatic species looking for potential pharmaceuticals. You've got some things down there like unicellular algaes which can be outrageously rich in all sorts of chemicals. Fairly recently, a species of (really trippy looking) cuttlefish called the flamboyant cuttlefish has been found to have a toxin present, which was unheard of before in cephalopods.