• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Natural source psychedelic phenethylamines?

PepperSocks

Bluelight Crew
Hey guys, I'm on the hunt to find psychedelic phenethylamines from an organic source besides the obvious mescaline from trichocereus/lophophora and some other cacti species.

I know there's stimulating phenethylamines available from ephedra, khat, cocoa beans and lots of psychedelic amphetamine precursors from essential oils, but what about active psychedelic phenethylamines available from organic sources?

The only one I've been able to find is mescaline and its analogues from various species of cacti, which I find strange because there's a plethora of active psychedelic tryptamines available from many organic sources. Any ideas would be great, thanks all :)

Naw, they're closer to tryptamines. A lot fo people say they have both tryptamine ans phenethylamine portions in they're structure but technically they're "ergolines". Thanks anyways though

EDIT: I dunno mods, would this get better hits if it was moved to ADD?

Last edited:
This was the only thing I could come up with, Macromerine

Little is known about the psychedelic effects of macromerine. K. Trout states that a bioassay of macromerine-containing cactus, Doñana, "had been very mild and very strange, with many waves of intense nausea and extremely persistent after effects, such as distorted vision and a very weird feeling of unreality lasting for weeks after its use."

However, considering Doñana is usually no more than 0.1 percent macromerine, several pounds of the dried cactus would be required to consume a psychedelic dosage of macromerine. What is more likely is that the combination of all alkaloids present in the cactus produce the effects of Doñana.

Looked interesting.

Edit:

Just pulled up this long list of natural phen precursors:

Last edited:
Ya, I was reading up on that one too, it also has lots of other mescaline analogues. It only has 0.1% macromerine so for one to get an active dose they would have to extract a minimum of a kilo dried material. 8)

I was hoping to find some kind of non-cacti source, all phenethylamine containing cacti have the same basic constituents, but in varying amounts. Why can't phenethylamines have the same variety and presence as tryptamines do in organisms? This is so strange and unfair :( I can't find a logical explanation for this.

^^ Ya, that's the thing, lots of natural phenethylamines but few active psychedelics. Ephedra is loaded with phenethylamine stimulants, same with cocoa beans. Cacti have a plethora of inactive phenethylamines, but the only truly psychedelic natural phenethylamine i can think of is mescaline and any other quasi-psychedelic phenethylamines are all cactus related.

FYI serotonin is a tryptamine and 5-htp is an indole amino acid :)

I'm looking for something other than mescaline analogues that's a natural psychedelic phenethylamine, but I think I might be looking for a needle in a haystack.

*goes to question God about this matter* 8)

well, cacti do have other active psychedelic phenethylamines, but they're in small concentrations compared to mescaline. There was actually an article recently that I remember reading on how they found ecstasy analogues in the cacti that also contain mescaline.

But, they're in very low concentrations, and would be impossible to separate out from mescaline without extremely sophisticated lab equipment. I assume you're looking for plants where the main psychoactive component is a psychedelic phenethylamine?

Overall, I'm not sure you'll find a non-mescaline analogue that's still a natural psychedelic phenethylamine. You'll probably be better off looking for novel psychoactives. Nature seems to have a way of just making random molecules rather than following any pattern (in this case the phenethylamine pattern).

lophophora species cacti have a number of unexplored phenethylamines, but like stated above, they're in very small concentrations compared to mescaline. One might be able to "dope" a cactus with certain chemicals so that it would yield different psychoactive compounds, but I'm not sure if this is even possible, let alone if its been done before.

^if you look at the structure of many aromatic hydrocarbons found in essential oils you could, in theory, replace the benzene ring with a phenethylamine ring and have an amphetamine or psychedelic. I think this is what is done with safrole to make MDMA.

Overdoses of essential oils like fennel and parsley have hallucinogenic properties, I've read, but are also rather toxic.

I've researched the essential oils very much and their respective (and super cool) amphetamine counterparts. Some people say the oils themselves are active, but they're also known to be quite toxic and carcinogenic.

search for it on wikipedia u will find some plants even got nicotene, amphets and phens in them.
i shows u big list of plants and whats in them. Shows u all the plants with DMT in them and stuff i think u can find a link from wiki's acacia plant akaloids

I'm interested in Acadia, might get one for myself :)

Hey mods, can you move this to ADD? please and thank you :)

You could maybe try sweet flag, although its not exactly a psychedelic in most peoples eyes. Maybe you should look for some online herb vendors.

Have you ever heard of Mandrake root? My dad was telling me about one of his friends who use to trip on it a lot back in India. I have been trying to find a legitimate vendor to acquire some.

Mandrake root contains deleriant tropanes, not psychedelic phethylamines, and is pretty toxic and also scary as hell I would imagine, as most tropanes tend to be. I would be careful. And by careful, I mean I wouldn't use it.

search for it on wikipedia u will find some plants even got nicotene, amphets and phens in them.
i shows u big list of plants and whats in them. Shows u all the plants with DMT in them and stuff i think u can find a link from wiki's acacia plant akaloids

I think that the reports of amphetamines in those two species of acacia are fairly dubious, honestly. Until I see another study showing the presence of amphetamines in a. berlandieri and a. rigidula, I won't be convinced.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/shulgin/adsarchive/acacia.htm

^What Shulgin had to say about it.

Nicotine is found in horsetail, along with some other alkaloids and glycosiodes.

^^ that was a nice read by Shulgin. I found it quite unlikely that natural amphetamine was found in Acacia. I'm really starting to think that mescaline is the one and only truly active natural psychedelic phenethylamine, and if it is.... What an oddly unique and isolated case.

^Kind of off topic, but some people say that hordenine has stimulant properties, and peyote and trichocereus both have a lot of it. But I think it's most interesting property is as a powerful topical antiseptic. Peruvian torch and San Pedro apparently have been used to treat foot and mouth in animals due to this property.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure too (but not completely!) that a powerful psychedelic phenethylamine is not likely to be found in genuinely psychedelic quantity outside of what's been discovered, but the existing info out on some of the minor alkaloids in peyote and stuff like macromerine in coryphanta is definitely intriguing.