• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Natural opiate potentiation

Ray86

Greenlighter
I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm still pretty new to the site. I am working with a pain clinic to manage my severe pain in my feet and legs due to my MS. For the next month, my prescription is oxycodone 10mg 4× a day. This is really not enough to make a helpful difference in my pain levels. I've ended up having to choose between taking enough in the morning to make it possible to help my kids get ready for school and then being in so much pain by the end of the day that I sometimes can't even sleep through it which results in my sleep schedule to be completely screwed. My other choice is to wait until late evening to take enough to be able to actually sleep without pain which results in not being able to be a mother to my kids. Either option still results in me spending the majority of my day withering away on the couch in order to stay off my feet to keep from worsening the pain.
I found a recipe for opiate potentiation that actually works pretty well but it worries me to use this everyday since it consists of many other medications. I need as much info as possible on natural potentiators like foods, drinks, supplements. Dumping all these chemicals on my stomach on a daily basis is causing me a load of anxiety. Any info will be so greatly appreciated. Thanx ?

Best potentiator and really the only ive noticed helping is white grapefruit juice. I drink 8-12 oz. about 45 mins after my dose of whatever. Really helps it last longer. It's a liver enzyme inhibitor cyp 3A4. I've tried and tried cimetidine and it not only never has worked, it usually leads to a weaker high for me. Possibly the reduction in acid that your pill is buffered and tailored to dissolve in natural stomach ph acidity.

This really sucks. I feel for you. I think getting my life together every day is difficult, but I'm not having to deal with rugrats in the process. Pain management, as you're probably aware, is undergoing a major reining in in regards to total prescribed dosage. In my opinion, we're going from over-prescribing to under-prescribing.

Are you using NSAID's to mediate your pain? What else do you have in your arsenal? Your best be could be to acquire some different medications, like Gabapentin (Neurontin), which has been shown to reduce the need for Opioid medication.

Keif, i am taking naproxen and ibuprofen. I also use tonic water, white grape fruit juice, cimetidine, tums, and benadryl. I might try to take out the cimetidine and see if it has been weakening my meds like 123bupe said. I'd like to find more natural potentiators so that I can drop the benadryl as well. Oh and I also take Tylenol because my scrip doesn't have Tylenol in it and for some reason opiates have zero affect on me without Tylenol.
I have been on gabapentin and Lyrica and they both worsen my pain.
And I agree, doctor's under prescribe like crazy now to the point that some of the prescriptions I've received in the past were completely pointless but my pain clinic doctor seems like he actually gets my pain. I can see on his face that he feels totally guilty for the low prescription and he does reassure me that we will raise it to something that will actually help me to be able to function. I think he's just afraid to bump me up so quickly due to the DEA having crawled up every doctors ass lately. I just need to figure out a way to make the scrip I have right now actually help me be a better involved mom. I know it's not my fault that I'm not doing everything a mother should do but I still feel guilty and it really eats at me.

Actually I just found out that it's not white grapefruit juice that I've been drinking. It's just plain grapefruit juice because I guess that's all they carry at the store by my house so my boyfriend just bought it anyways thinking it would still work. Am I wasting my time drinking that?

I mean why not ask your doctor for a higher dose or a different drug that lasts longer and may work better? I've never got potentiation to work aside from making a dose last a tiny bit longer.

Falsified, I did ask him specifically if I could get a time release prescription plus a break through pain prescription. He said we have to gradually work up to that. I don't know if you have any experience with a chronic pain condition, but that's where you start hitting walls. The DEA and CDC look very closely at doctor's that write high prescriptions to patients now. He has to tread water in prescribing to patients like me. Patients with life long chronic pain because it looks suspicious because of the addicts that fucked it up for people like me. I'm not trash talking addicts either. I was an alcoholic for 14 years. I get it but it doesn't change my situation. Not only do I not want to put my doctor, who is the first doctor that actually gets my pain in jeapordy , but I've been treated like a drug seeker by one too many doctors. So I need to tread water too or I might end up getting cut off. I can't afford to do that. I have two little girls to care for and I spend the majority of my day just trying to keep me feet elevated to avoid being completely bedridden for days. I need to play it as safe as I can and in the mean time try to make the prescription I have work to the best of my benefit.

For your own sake, I think you should do some more research on enzyme activity and the potentiation of drugs through their augmentation. There are many drugs that require a metabolic process to convert them into the actual "active" chemical. For instance, 3-Methylmorphine (Codeine), is inactive and must be converted to Morphine by CYP2D6 primarily. Morphine, on the other hand, is active in its own right and doesn't require a metabolic process to produce an active chemical.

Oxycodone is a lot like Morphine in this way. Although a very small portion of the drug is metabolized by CYP3A into Oxymorphone, this amount is generally considered to be insignificant. It's often quoted at 5%. So, essentially, all of the supplements that you're taking probably won't do you much good in truly making your medication more effective. There are other Opioids, like Methadone for instance, that can be heavily mediated by altering enzyme activity. I've used the SSRI Fluvoxamine (Luvox), which is a notoriously potent inhibitor of several enymes, to practically double the efficacy of my Methadone.

There's just not a lot of room for potentiation with Oxycodone like there would be for other Opioids.

I get what you are saying ray, I've never had chronic pain experience but I know the DEA is watching doctors very closely. It's unfortunate you have to remain in pain because your doc has to tiptoe around the DEA bullshit.

Keif, I really appreciate the in depth explanation you provided. On the one hand, it's a little bit of a let down knowing that I can't actually make this drug work enough to make a difference but I am also relieved in the sense that at least I won't be stressing myself out trying to potentiate without any real reason. I've waited damn near a year now to find a doctor who actually hears me, I guess I can wait a little longer for him to slowly get me to a decent state without risking his own ass. Thanks keif. That actually helps a lot.

Falsified, I appreciate your response. It's not everyday that I feel heard and validated and you made me feel both in one simple response. Thanx:)

I apologise in advance if I'm posting in the wrong place. I'm still pretty new to the site. I am working with a pain clinic to manage my severe pain in my feet and legs due to my MS. For the next month, my prescription is oxycodone 10mg 4× a day. This is really not enough to make a helpful difference in my pain levels. I've ended up having to choose between taking enough in the morning to make it possible to help my kids get ready for school and then being in so much pain by the end of the day that I sometimes can't even sleep through it which results in my sleep schedule to be completely screwed. My other choice is to wait until late evening to take enough to be able to actually sleep without pain which results in not being able to be a mother to my kids. Either option still results in me spending the majority of my day withering away on the couch in order to stay off my feet to keep from worsening the pain.
I found a recipe for opiate potentiation that actually works pretty well but it worries me to use this everyday since it consists of many other medications. I need as much info as possible on natural potentiators like foods, drinks, supplements. Dumping all these chemicals on my stomach on a daily basis is causing me a load of anxiety. Any info will be so greatly appreciated. Thanx
It's not a potentiator, and I'm not sure if it's legally available where you live?
But Cannabis has a well known history of helping MS patients...

http://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/guide/medical-marijuana-multiple-sclerosis#1