• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Natural Mood Enhancers?

The most natural and absolutely most effective option is personal spiritual exploration. Everybody can do it and it'll make your life joyous and free! :)

joystick said:
A healthy source of moderate duration and intensity of natural--or artificial uv rays if your climate dictates--sunlight while closing your eyes and meditating is a great lifter of spirits. Moderate excercise is good for the body and mind as well; I find that dancing is the most fun form of excercise, as it involves music, with swimming being the second most relaxing way to excercise. Also, get plenty of sleep if possible (about 8 hours per night) and avoid junk food. Find a new hobby if possible.

Omega fish oils, I must agree, are completely foul tasting in every way. I do not recommend them at all, but then again I don't even like the taste of fish so I may be biased on that point. B vitamins have been rumored to relieve anxiety, but I have seen absolutely no evidence to support that assertion.

As for mood improvement, I would suggest smoking pot, though I realize that answer may not be what you had in mind by using the word "natural." MJ obviously has the drawback of being illegal and rather expensive and also hard to conceal from those with whom you may reside and who do not approve of your usage.

Kava-kava is a mild mood uplifter/antianxiety agent, as is Valerian root, though Valerian root smells bad (though still not nearly as bad as fish oils). You might try St. John's Wort as well. A multivitamin every day probably wouldn't hurt anything, either.

Be sure to eat healthy foods and think positive thoughts, such as what you are grateful for each day. Remember, life can always get worse, sometimes much worse.

Also, find a friend/confidant to help carry your burdens. Feel free to PM me if you want. Good luck. Hope this helps.

I'd have to recommend against cannabis, I think it makes peoples moods worse in the long-term. Demotivation especially. Constant use cannot be good either.

Syrian Rue (Paganum harmala) is natural, and it is the only thing that worked for my depression/anxiety - and I am majorly depressive. Its a MAOi though, so I know I'm playing with fire - especially that I use small ammounts of 5-HTP. However, I find that large ammounts are not needed for its anti-depressant effect.

Sex, lots and lots of sex. Its true. Absolute 100% best mood lifter ever. It is actually a chemical thing. also a great cure for a head ache.

Otherwise look into using Bach flower Remedies. Just a drop on the tounge and an instant calm down and mood lift. I always take it to parties for myself and my over dramatic friends. The mood lifter version can be purchased at any chemist or if you go your natural heath store or clinic they have lots of different flower essences to suit your problem.

Also, essential oils such as Bergamont and lavender are great for making you feel good all the time. I like one by the brand Sunspirit called "nurture", it great, i used to wear it when i had exams.

geishaa said:
Sex, lots and lots of sex. Its true. Absolute 100% best mood lifter ever. It is actually a chemical thing. also a great cure for a head ache.

^^^^ yeppers =D :\

Great site link.....however I would venture that they are a bit over-cautious in their supplement warnings. For example check out their thoughts on Creatine....I respectfully disagree...

I found this at the GNC web-site.... YAY or NAY???

Omega Complex
Contains: Omega 3, Omega 6, Omega 9, Flax Seed Oil, Borage Oil

Details:

Omega 3 Ingredients
ALA (alpha-Linoleic Acid)(omega-3) --- 378 mg
EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) (omega-3) --- 180 mg
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)(omega-3) --- 120 mg
Omega 9 Ingredients
Oleic Acid (omega-9) --- 455 mg
Omega 6 Ingredients
LA (Linoleic Acid)(omega-6) --- 463 mg
GLA (gamma Linolenic Acid)(omega-6) --- 180 mg
Other Ingredients
Vitamin E (as d-alpha Tocopherol) --- 30 IU 100%
Lipase --- 1200 units

???? Looks damn good to me. Says to take 3 a day, 1 per meal.

^^ that will probably help you.

also, try making a tea any combination of the following herbs: chamomile, scullcap, catnip, and valerian.

also, about the suggestion to have lots of sex. i'm guessing the posters who made that suggestion are females. from a male health perspective, too many ejaculations will drain your energy and can leave you feeling lethargic and moody. lots of sex is wonderful, just make sure not to ejaculate more than 2 or 3 times a week.

jubzie said:
^^ that will probably help you.

also, try making a tea any combination of the following herbs: chamomile, scullcap, catnip, and valerian.

also, about the suggestion to have lots of sex. i'm guessing the posters who made that suggestion are females. from a male health perspective, too many ejaculations will drain your energy and can leave you feeling lethargic and moody. lots of sex is wonderful, just make sure not to ejaculate more than 2 or 3 times a week.

I don't really want anything that will make me feel too lethargic like Chamomile and Valerian can cause. And as for sex...I only get some about 1-3 times a week and my partener is myself, lol. Single life, eh.

I have looked upon alot of what people have mentioned and found 3 different supplements at GNC that look like they will do wonders :)

Omega Complex: Omega-3, 6, 9 Fatty Acids; Flax Seed Oil, Borage Oil
Suntheanine: L-Theanine
B-12 1000: Folic Acid, B-12

Roger&Me said:
I disagree, they only contain omega-3 and not omega-6 or omega-9. I think that Udo's choice oil blend is the best source of EFAs.

In the book I mentioned, he says omega-6s are bad for you. He says they are necessary, but you most liekly get enough from your diet so that supplementation isn't necessay. Most people probably don't follow a strict enough diet to need to supplement with the omega-6s.

^^report back and tell us how it works.

while i don't have depression or bi-polar, flax seed and DHA pills have improved my mood a bit, made me see more clearly, and enhanced other mental functions a very noticable amount.

good luck to everyone :)

i recommend 5-HTP, it's a good mood enhancer. it works naturally by making your brain produce serintona.

5htp IMO definitely works. I havent noticed anything with St Johns wort but perhaps i never took it for long enough

KANNA-

ths stuff is awesome way stronger ssri then st johns wort. sniffing the powder puts u in a nice happy mood :) :)