• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

[Nashville] Mayor Megan Barry opens up about son's drug use and death

aihfl

Bluelight Crew
http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...y-returns-work-after-death-her-son/544699001/

Mayor Megan Barry, returning to her regular duties as Nashville's mayor Monday, opened up publicly about the death of her son, Max, from an apparent drug overdose and pivoted to a new role — a voice in the national opioid crisis.

At an emotional news conference from the desk of her office, Barry thanked Nashvillians for their outpouring of support, which she said provided a "counter-balance" to her grief after the death of her 22-year-old son on July 29.
She also addressed Max's past drug use, saying he had "occasional brushes" with drugs that prompted him last summer to enroll himself in a drug rehabilitation facility in Florida for a month.
"I don't want his death to define his life, but we have to have a frank conversation about how he died," said Barry, who last week temporarily stepped aside from work after Max's death. "We don't have the full autopsy yet, we don't have the final toxicology report, but the reality is that Max overdosed on drugs.

Sigh, FL rehab -> OD...

It's fascinating with how parents deal with this. I wonder what her role as a new "voice" in this debate will be like.

She also addressed Max's past drug use, saying he had "occasional brushes" with drugs that prompted him last summer to enroll himself in a drug rehabilitation facility in Florida for a month.

He just decided to enroll himself in an in-patient rehab in another state after "occasional brushes" with drugs? There's definitely more to this story.

He just decided to enroll himself in an in-patient rehab in another state after "occasional brushes" with drugs? There's definitely more to this story.

Yeah def more to it. Was prob along the lines of you're not going to ruin my career either you go to rehab in what has basically become the rehab state or be cut off and live on the street.

Sigh, FL rehab -> OD...

It's fascinating with how parents deal with this. I wonder what her role as a new "voice" in this debate will be like.

This. So this. Not that they have a monopoly on shit rehab programs though.