• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering My taper journal

Hey, Elle...I just wanted to say that I've been reading your journal and am super impressed with your energy and drive. You're doing awesome!

<3
Sim

I’ve only had one session so far. She’s cool as beans. But I would surely replace any other medical professional. In fact, I am consulting with a malpractice attorney to see if I have a case.

I found an an email that I sent to my surgeon three days before the procedure, detailing my high opioid tolerance and my need for a care plan. It’s a smoking gun that they knew all along and permitted me to get hooked. I call this Doctor Assisted Addiction.

It’s catchy, yes?

I’m so angry.

I am still on the two pills of 10 mg OxyContin for day. Since tapering the clonidine from .2 per day to .15, I have had breakthrough with drawls I alternate from hot to cold on the dime. Muscle spasms run up and down my body. I can’t eat. I haven’t had any other stomach issues yet. I found it interesting that with every dose dropping I’ve went through classic with drawl symptoms in classic order.

I take an additional clonidine to get me through the night. I just took two Advil p.m. . I have Valium and Ativan but I don’t wanna waste it on tapering I would save it for the jump. I can’t use marijuana because it just increases my anxiety.

Meeting with my doctor tomorrow at 11 this would be my family doctor. I am considering a malpractice suit against my pain doctor and surgeon so I will not be returning to them again.

I keep telling myself that I just need to push through this and then I could have my life back. I really want to continue to taper but if this is my response to 20 mg OxyContin how will I ever survive the taper ?

I’m using my sons iPad text to speech or speech to text so please forgive my grammar.

Hey, Elle...I just wanted to say that I've been reading your journal and am super impressed with your energy and drive. You're doing awesome!

I still haven’t figured out how to reply sometimes. Thank you very much for your encouragement I know I have been a wanker on and off but I blame the clonidine does that work? If not I apologize for being a stinker.

Clonidine can make you feel a little messed up. Unless I can sleep during the day or take a nap I just prefer to use it at bedtime if I’m using it to help detox.

I took a short hour long rest. The clonidine in the same dosage that I took last week has returned me to the state of being a zombie. I consider this a temporary agreement that I can get through withdrawals.

The clonidine in addition to affecting my blood pressure also affected my ability urinate.

If the clonidine is really hitting you hard and making you feel hung over you might want to try halving the dose. Especially if you have noticed serious effects on BP.

I really hope you can get something like gabapentin from your doctor. I guess you’re having your appointment as I write this. Super glad to hear you were able to see them to hopefully get some help with some of this.

I’m sorry, I’ve become a little confused with something - are you currently still tapering or have you jumped off?

I’d really encourage you to dip into your benzo supply Little so as you can lower your clonidine a tad and get more relief all around.

The biggest single thing that would help you right now is probably getting some good nutrition in you. That can be one of the hardest things to do in withdrawal, but the ondansetron should help a lot. Even if it is just sports drinks (better yet get “rehydrating salts” which are all the good stuff in sports drinks without any of the sugar and shit you don’t need - wilderness EMTs use this stuff to treat dehydration), meal replacement shakes, bananas a and crackers, believe me when I say you want to do whatever you can right now to get as much food in you as you can. It doesn’t even really matter right now if it is healthy or not - your body simply needs more calories.

What kind of food do you like? Maybe your son can help you cook something super simple?

Foods I find really useful in withdrawal:
  • Fruit
  • Ice cream (specifically run raisin, but I’ll stick to sherbert if I’m feeling nauseous)
  • Soup soup soup!
  • Spicy food (mixing some hot peppers and cream in hot cocoa is actually really tasty; the capsasin or however it is spelled actually helps with pain and your body working out a new state of equilibrium withou opioid use)
  • As many vegetables as you can manage (specifically green leafy veggies; making a smoothie out of fresh veggies and fruit juice or carrot juice is actually very easy to consume when in withdrawal; V8 is better than nothing but doesn’t count as a veggie, part of what you want from veggies is fiber and stuff that gets lost when processed veggie beverages are processed )
  • Ginger everything (ginger tea is great for nausea and stomach cramps; I find high potency ginger tea works a little better than ondansetron when it comes to stomach nausea, meaning it doesn’t just prevent the nausea but seems to prevent the nauseous feelings to begin with)
  • Kombucha is nice during detox
  • Crackers (classic detox food)
  • Bananas (another classic)
  • Canned soup (I find it gross, but another classic)
  • Rice (ideally rice and beans, but rice is better than nothing)
  • Cereal (I find fiber rich cereals to be really useful dealing with the shits)
  • If you eat meat try and stay with low fat content stuff, as too much fat can upset the stomach etc)

But really just eat whatever you can if it is hard to keep stuff down. You body needs plenty of hydration and nutrition to heal properly. Not getting enough nutrition will lead to more longer symptoms and a longer lingering symptoms.

Hope your doctors appointment went well. Do consider reducing you clonidine a tad more and taking some benzos at night. Hopefully you can get some gabapentin, because that will make a huge difference.

I feel like I’ve been over on the world in nine marvelous weeks .

Last week my pain management doctor, after insisting that I must have anxiety disorder and I am not really feeling any withdrawal symptoms, had me drop him 3 10 mg of Oxy er To two. I was stable for a few days but then the withdrawals hit. I considered going to the Coleman institute for a rapid detox. I was at the end of my rope.

Finally I left the situation at the feet of my surgeon and told him he was responsible for this foolishness. Now the pain management doctor is singing a different tune and he’s willing to put me on Bupe. At the same time my family Doctor who tried to put me on Bupe but did not have the authority has decided to try Lyrica or neurontin. So I have two doctors coming up with ideas to resolve my situation.

I returned to my original dosage of 30 mg per day to recover. Yesterday I began to substitute the middle dosage of 10 mg extended release for 5 mg immediate release pill and it is been successful so far . While they are working out the details of these plans I am under the impression that I am making life easier for myself by switching to the immediate release .

Tpd, you are a delightful human being and will respond after my tablet gets charged. thank you so much !

My pain management doc protested that Bupe isn’t used for quick tapers. However, the manufacturer’s literature specifically lists numerous plans for short term opioid withdrawal, even five day tapers. So I am going to print this out and bring it with me. To the doctor. Who doesn’t know about it. Who prescribes it (eye twitch).

I also found some good studies including one for putting teens on a 14 day taper to get them off opiates. So my research is finally helping me.

I have no energy. I can barely eat and to go to a store for a few minutes wipes me out. This is not okay.

Yesterday my substitution of a 5mg IR for my middle dose of 10mg ER resulted in discomfort and nausea at dinner. I get a knot in my stomach that feels like a fist. Had to take the next Oxy an hour early, and a Zofran, and sit for 30 minutes before it passed.

Hoping to go to the movies today to see Three Billboards. Hub said I should just use the wheelchair. I feel so sad but it’s the only way. The Oxy is stealing my life.

Glad do hear your doctor isn't a total douche.

Most doctors don't like prescribing buprenorphine just for tapering is because it is really meant to be used as a maintenance drug when prescribe by an outpatient doctor. Now, methadone is often used as part of the detoxification protocol when someone goes inpatient to detox, and that's the situation where doctors are more likely to prescribe because it's obvious you only want it to get clean (and they'd know you're using it to if you detox inpatient).