• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My quetiapine withdrawal thread (Serohell)

benion

Greenlighter
I am starting this to document quetiapine withdrawal.
I have been on 300 mg now for 7 years. Diagnoses bipolar and ASD.
What has prompted me to withdraw is getting to the stage I asked the doc to check my thyroid. I thought I was hypothyroid due to weight gain, fatigue, low moods, generally feeling crap. Thyroid came back as normal and then I did some research into quetiapine and these are all side effects of the meds.
I started the withdrawal 3 days ago. Am now at 250. Plan to get down to 200 and then stop there for a couple of months before dropping again.
So far main withdrawal effects are nausea, poor sleep and this weird tingling feeling in my toes and fingers.
Not lost any weight yet, but hoping to do.
This stuff is highly addictive and I am quite angry to have been prescribed it without this being explained to me.

Not sure if I am doing the right thing withdrawing to be honest. Incredibly depressed today :(

If you're feeling terrible do a slower taper - maybe drop the dose down once a week by 10% of the previous dose. You've been o. It for seven years - no need to rush to get off it as that only makes it harder on you mentally and physically.

Many AP's dramatically increase your appetite, though I do wonder how they affect metabolism as they are systemically hard. If you're wanting to lose weight get a food scale that weighs in both grams and ounces, that also has a tare function. Calculate you TDEE (many calculators available online) and create a calorie deficit. If you cut 250 calories a day you will lose half a pound a week which is a good rate of loss unless you are morbidly obese. A 500 calorie a day deficit will allow you to lose a pound a week, but it's difficult to maintain. Make sure you are getting enough protein so you don't lose muscle in the process, and consume a lot of healthy fats as they keep you fuller longer, and your body needs fat to synthesize hormones and for functioning.

I hope you start feeling better soon! Do consider a longer taper as that will lessen the withdrawal symptoms.

Take your time and take it slow. You have the rest of your life to look forward to, there is no rush. It will come when it comes. Best of luck to you OP, along with much love and blessings <3 :)

Thank you for the lovely messages.
First decent night's sleep last night and feeling a lot brighter.
Going to stay at 250 for a good few weeks before dropping down the dose again.

Smart idea. The slow but steady one always gets to the finish line, very often way more comfortably, in the end.

Strange thing that has happened today is my taste in food has changed and this tingling in fingers and toes. I seem to have more energy though. Not going to drop to 200 for a good few weeks though.

Good plan. You'll notice weird shit like that happening when coming on antipsychotic meds. Don't freak out if you start having a bit of other side effects. If necessary hit up an urgent care center or an ER if you feel it is too much for you to handle. We are always here to help of course, especially now as I'm outta the hospital :)

Take your sweet time. Seriously, you have your whole life to live. That one of the biggest lessons I learned getting off meds, and methadone was a bit of a bitch (well, it was and it wasn't, but then again I did it pretty smart until the clinic started fucking with me and I kinda just walked out and stopped answering their calls, them stuck up sons of bitches, well the new manager is at least, but lest I digress further. . .).

Point is, no rush.

well it has been a few days and I am feeling better than ever. More energy and my sleep seems more natural rather than being kicked in the head. Another few weeks and I am dropping to 200!

Bravo my friend!!! Keep up the great work. Keep kicking ass and taking names. You are so much more capable than you even know.

May you be well.

Yeah seroquel is fucking nasty shit last time I had blood drawn my triglycerides were sky high, I quess seroquel raises the amount of fat in your blood , I just stopped taking em last week , tapered a little then just switched to benadryl and melatonin at night, man seroquel is fucked

melatonin is a decent option when getting off of seroquel just keep your dose under 2 mg. benadryl didn't do much for me, think the histamine receptors were fried. too much melatonin is counter productive ime. insomnia is the hardest part. overall, i found seroquel to be one of the easier APs to quit. some anxiety, a little mania, itching skin, insomnia, nausea, were prob the most notable. nothing too bad with a smooth taper.

you should realize that recovery from these drugs will not be linear. you might be feeling good now, but you have to give it time. there are a lot of ups and downs. thats why its important to not rush. it can take a few weeks before you really 'feel' a drop. your cuts might need to go down a little. you can always use an oral syringe and dose volumetrically to make smaller cuts. once you get to below 200 or so, i would only drop by 25 mg every few weeks. it takes a while to upregulate the receptors APs affect. rushing only increases withdrawal symptoms and didn't ever save me any time. whenever symptoms get out of control, go back to the dose you were comfortable on. don't push it too hard.

no worries though, its not too bad, at least compared to others ive quit. i know how it is to want to be off of something badly but just take it nice and slow. youre doing good.

you should realize that recovery from these drugs will not be linear.

Nor experienced in exactly the same ways for everyone. This seems to be the case with the vast majority of drug dependencies I've encountered.

absolutely. i wasn't trying to imply otherwise, just speaking generally. :)

just don't want to make cuts too quickly bc you are feeling okay. Something i screwed up with more than once that set me back a few months.

Oh totally, I just wanted too be explicit as possible about that. You know your stuff my friend :)