• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc My phenibut taper

I've been taking if for about 5 months, daily.

A -250 every 3 days sounds like pretty big jumps, but I could try it. I want to be over this stuff.

But for now I might try what Ziiirp says and go to 500mg, then taper down from there.

I'm not that knowledgeable. Just experienced with both substances and IMHO, if you are continuing to take 1g of Phenibut and dose down too slowly, the withdrawal should be more draining in the end than reducing more quickly and cycling off with L-Theanine, because IME L-Theanine is pretty harmless and unaddictive and more sedating than Phenibut.

To be on the safe side perhaps reduce to 800mg first and if you feel anxious, take L-Theanine capsule(s) accordingly. Then you can feel for yourself, how much the L-Theanine is releaving the symptoms. Maybe you can even dose down more quickly thanks to it. Please report back.

Listen to your body and try to differentiate between anxiety that is fueled by a negative feedback loop in the mind and real physical adrenergic rebound anxiety from the Phenibut wd.

Easier said than done, but the best base would be to be free from any duty for a few days in the acute tapering phase. At work it is easier to slip into old habits (for some of us).

I've been taking if for about 5 months, daily.

A -250 every 3 days sounds like pretty big jumps, but I could try it. I want to be over this stuff.

But for now I might try what Ziiirp says and go to 500mg, then taper down from there.
I don't know what your daily responsibilities are but I understand some people just can't afford to feel bad. If you were a doctor or surgical nurse for example, I'd hate for you to be operatingon me while you're in withdrawals. If that's the case , take it as slow and comfortably opossible.

I had a stupid office job where I did nothing but sit there all day pretend to work. I ran out of phenibut after abusing it for a month to make work "funner" and I didn't realize I was having withdrawals because of it. Every day I was an anxiety ridden, delusional and paranoid mess and it never occurred to me that it was the phenibut till now.

I just thought "oh well, I'm a weirdo now" I was also on amphetamines , so it made the withdrawal 10x worse. The effects of amps can micmic benzo /phenibut withdrawal itself pretty much added "fuel to the fire". Panic attacks 5-10times a day

Last edited:
Interesting, I am on prescribed adderall. I'm not abusing it or anything, just within the prescription.

EDIT: As far as daily responsibilities, I'm a freelancer that works at home, so I luckily don't need to go into an office at the moment

So, I went down to 800mg yesterday, seems like everything is going decently w/r/t withdrawal effects. Wondering if I should just do -100mg per day from here on out?

If the L-Theanine works for you, then I'd do that. Just try to not to pop infinite amounts of theanine capsules, they won't cause a literal high anyways. ;)

Listen to your body and try to differentiate between anxiety that is fueled by a negative feedback loop in the mind and real physical adrenergic rebound anxiety from the Phenibut wd.

This is a pretty insightful message. I've been trying to focus on the anxiety, how it makes me physically feel, and how it makes me mentally feel.

"Anxiety fueled by a negative feedback loop in the mind" is the more traditional anxiety I've had in the past.

"real physical adrenergic rebound anxiety" feels almost more like a physical sensation I am getting in the gut.

I can sort of feel the difference between them, it helps to separate the sensations.

Another thing to mention, just to document it. Not sure if it's related to the phenibut, but the 'physical anxiety sensation' seems worst in the morning when I first wake up. After an hour, it is much improved. And I haven't even had any phenibut today yet.

p.s. yesterday was 700mg, today will be 600mg. I've been splitting doses a few hours apart (e.g. 350/350 yesterday, 300/300 today). Not sure if that even matters, but again want to document it

I wonder how quickly phenibut can be tapered... it's not like benzos which are among the longest to taper (been inpatient for 8 weeks), but more like pregabaline. And my psychiatrist told me that some psychiatrists have patients taper pregabalin over the course of a week, even from high dosages.
Still begs the question how different phenibut is from pregabalin and whether that is actually such a smart move to taper over just a week, but I'm saying that I am not certain if tapering phenibut relatively fast is actually as bad as we know it is to taper benzos fast.

Down to 500mg today. I think I can now feel the side effects of having less phenibut in my body more keenly. Kind of a persistent low level anxiety, and depression which I haven't talked too much about, but is there.

It's a little discouraging, but I keep reminding myself this is temporary and my brain just has to recover from the months of daily use. I have an irrational fear (anxiety?) that I've permanently damaged something, but all signs point to phenibut being something that one can completely get over, especially at the levels I've been taking. So I should just relax.

Debating between staying at 500 again tomorrow, or to just keep going down every day. Or something else (like staying at 500 for a few days then jumping to 250?).

EDIT: And I have to say, I feel noticeably better after posting here. Sharing my experience helps. If you are reading this and going through the same thing, start a thread, or talk to a friend, just don't be secretive about this. It's one of those "soft" fixes like exercising or meditation that at first might seem pointless, but it actually does help

Down to 300 today. Feeling a bit of anxiety and a bit of depression. Nothing like when I went cold turkey; more like background noise.

Continuing to take supplements including theanine and inositol.

Well done dude!!!!! I've been following your thread, you have tremendous inner strength in you, how are you feeling now? :) I was on phenibut for a while but couldn't hack the side effects, running to the loo a few hours after a dose lol, thank the stars that I had a lucky escape, it never done anything for my anxiety so I jumped off at 1000mg. the big H is next on my list to kick!!!! :)

Thanks! I'm at 200 today. Kind of the same as the last few days. I have some depression/anxiety when first waking up, then I'm usually fine. It's hard to describe how I'm feeling. Uneven but mostly good. I do feel a bit under-motivated w/r/t work and life, my mind wanders to some negative places sometimes. I'm intrigued to see what going from 100 -> 0 is going to be like Saturday. And how I feel as the days go on at 0.

100. I guess this is the last phenibut that will have entered my body.

As usual these last few weeks, woke up with that slight "ugh" feeling. I've been up for an hour or so and feel fine, even good, now.

I have a feeling I know how today is going to go. Like yesterday, I'm going to be slightly unproductive/unmotivated, but feeling okay throughout the day.

At night I might get more anxiety because I'll feel guilty that I didn't get enough done today (handing freelance consulting biz, along with my dad's estate).

This is nothing like going cold turkey from a 6-month long 1.5-2g/day habit!

I would have been a crying anxious mess if I only had 100mg a few months ago. It really makes me feel good that I can "train" my brain to get used to pre-phenibut levels.

Last edited:
100. I guess this is the last phenibut that will have entered my body.

As usual these last few weeks, woke up with that slight "ugh" feeling. I've been up for an hour or so and feel fine, even good, now.

I have a feeling I know how today is going to go. Like yesterday, I'm going to be slightly unproductive/unmotivated, but feeling okay throughout the day.

At night I might get more anxiety because I'll feel guilty that I didn't get enough done today (handing freelance consulting biz, along with my dad's estate).

This is nothing like going cold turkey from a 6-month long 1.5-2g/day habit!

I've been following your journey on this thread and just wanted to say how impressed I am! Great job on planning a taper and sticking to it!! This thread gives a lot of hope!

So, 0 today. :)

Looking forward to seeing how things go over the next few weeks