My Mommy's experience with lung cancer

reggiee

Greenlighter
I apologize for not understanding which forum to post this in. It's simply a story of what I have experienced in the last year or so.

My poor Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer late 2010 (Stage 3). She also had COPD (emphysema) for many years without telling her family, including me and her husband. When diagnosed with cancer, she absolutely wanted to refuse chemo and radiation therapy and the tumors were inoperable. Everyone told her to take the doctors' advice, with hopes that we can cure it, or at least stop the growth. I went along with everyone else and told her I wanted her to go ahead with the treatment regimens the doctors recommended. She made it clear that she is only doing it because I told her to and she trusted my judgment. She put all her faith in me, her only son.

The "treatments" were god awful in terms of affecting her health. She couldn't eat and looked miserable. After the treatment protocol, she was in and out of the ER on a regular basis. She was constantly short of breath, sometimes dehydrated, getting infections, etc. It was honestly very hard and agonizing to even see her experience all of this. Her condition progressively got worse and her final 10 days were spent in the ICU, on 70 or so liters of oxygen, but her O2 saturation was 80% at best, but went down to ~40% whenever she coughed. 99% is normal for most people for those who don't know.

I (and her lung doctor) think the radiation exacerbated her condition severely. Her lungs were scarred so badly she simply couldn't absorb the oxygen. It was truly agonizing to even watch her go through this, not to mention how awful she must have felt. She died about 10 months after the initial diagnosis at 59 years old. She tried so hard to survive and I think was in denial still even though the doctors said she will die at any time. They were even perplexed that she made it as long as she did.

Before her death, she mentioned a few times that my advice is what led to this outcome. I still feel very guilty for this, even though everyone has told me it is not my fault, and that we can only do our best with current medical knowledge. I know she didn't want me to feel guilty or sad, but that is how I remember it. With all this in mind, and trying to be reasonable, I still feel directly responsible for shortening her life. The guilt and memories of her struggle are still tearing me apart. I can't remember the last time I cried prior to all this, but I now do so on a regular basis, including right now.

I try to look at the bright side and realize that I at least had the chance to spend 10-12 hours per day with her during her last 10 days of life in the hospital. Some people have to deal with sudden, unexpected death so I suppose I'm lucky in that sense. I also was her caregiver before that and did everything for her. For that, I feel very fortunate and privileged to have those memories. However, I think this grief will last a lifetime because she was truly the most important person in my life. I miss her so much.

Her final wish to me was that I succeed in life and be happy. Initially, I tried to numb the pain by abusing benzos 5+ mg Xanax or 150 mg Restoril daily, and drinking way too much on top of it. Luckily I never got into any trouble and was able to taper using Valium, and was fortunate enough to detox the alcohol using Librium, which is now complete. Now that is all finished, and I'll be in therapy with groups and counseling. I look forward to taking part in healthy grieving so it's hopefully not so painful in the future. One doctor told me to write a letter to her and express my feelings for her and myself. Save it and read it from time to time. I think this can be very therapeutic and intend to do so shortly. She was a wonderful mother and struggled to do the best for her children, and I really, really miss her dearly.

Please rest in peace, Mommy. And thank you all for lending an ear, bluelighters.

I'm terribly sorry for you're loss.

My mother passed away from lung cancer a little over a year ago, December 2010. She was diagnosed in late 2005, and ended up living much longer than any doctor expected her too. It was a long hard road, and I stood by her every step. It's a struggle, it really is. I abused alcohol when she started getting bad, then turned to other drugs. I got hooked up Vicodin and Oxycodone, eventually getting a very bad habit. I used them to numb the pain I felt. I was angry at the world, angry that she wasn't gonna be with me forever.

I miss her very much, and still think about her every day. I carry a picture of her with me, and I look at it from time to time to remember what she looked like. I swear, sometimes I can hear her voice calling me. I can sometimes still feel her hugs, her kisses. It's really sad to think I'll never hold her again.

Hang in there! Things get easier as time goes on.

I really appreciate the empathy, J.W. It means a lot to me.

We all have our ways of coping with such traumatic experiences, in spite of how unhealthy it can be. But sharing our stories hopefully leads to a more healthy recovery, even if the grief lingers for a lifetime.

I also carry my Mom's driver license and it always helps me release some of the grief through crying. I also have pictures all around my house and I hope that will help, too. I'm sorry you had a similar unfortunate experience and I wish you the best. I know it will get better for us both. Thanks so much.

I (and her lung doctor) think the radiation exacerbated her condition severely.

Maybe, but how would you feel if it could be conclusively proven that these treatments- apart from not helping your mom- also didn't significantly hurt her? I can tell you- with metaphysical certainty I might add- that neither you, her Dr, nor your mom could know how a treatment could have adversely affected an already seriously ill person. It's just as likely, if not more likely, that your mom would have progressed to her final withering state with no outside therapies acting on her. Lung Cancer moves fast and is famous for resisting intervention in the later stages of the disease. You were likely seeing the inexorable, natural progression of a serious illness.

Sometimes we blame ourselves for things because it gives us a feeling of control, a feeling we crave in the face of a decimating illness like lung cancer. We feel helpless, and feeling helpless is in some ways worse than being blamable.

Take it easy on yourself my friend. You're just a person like the rest of us- sometimes a victim of circumstance, operating in the same shade of uncertainty even the most knowledgeable must inhabit. You could do no more for your mom than holding back the hoover dam.

You've just had to watch your mom suffer and die and for that you must grieve- but don't pile anything else on top of that. That's more than enough than any person to deal with.

^^^ Thank you. And you are correct that the lung cancer itself could have metastasized and killed her just as quickly without medical intervention. After treatment, the oncologist reported that the tumor(s) were no longer growing. So I agree that there is no telling whether she would have lived longer either way.

I have a lot to think about and am coming to terms with what has happened. No one else is blaming me, so there is no reason for me to do so. You folks are very helpful in achieving this. Thank you all.

^^^ Thank you. And you are correct that the lung cancer itself could have metastasized and killed her just as quickly without medical intervention. After treatment, the oncologist reported that the tumor(s) were no longer growing. So I agree that there is no telling whether she would have lived longer either way.

I have a lot to think about and am coming to terms with what has happened. No one else is blaming me, so there is no reason for me to do so. You folks are very helpful in achieving this. Thank you all.

Dear Reggie,

My heart goes out to you sweetheart. I'm sad that you've had to go through this.. it must have been awful. It sounds like you have a great deal of medical knowledge, specifically in the area of the respiratory system, which suggests to me that you might be a medical professional yourself, or at least have done a great deal of research into your mother's condition! Clearly you're very smart, and so combined with your research, your discussion with doctors, and - most importantly - your first hand knowledge of your mother - I would bet that you ABSOLUTELY, unequivocally, with no doubt whatsoever, made the BEST decision possible for your mother. You had her best interests at heart, you made sure you knew as much information as possible, and you made a calculated decision. However I presume that your mother had the final say in her treatment and could have decided against whatever you and her doctors thought best - if she'd wanted to.

I really don't understand why she would have made the comment you mentioned.. I can't understand that. I do know though, that often times people struggle with the idea of their mortality, and when confronted with the facts might naturally feel angry with no place to direct all the feelings that overwhelm them at that point. I'm sure she wouldn't have meant to hurt you, and it's possible that all of the medications, if not the illness itself, would have her out of sorts, saying things that she wouldn't normally. You mustn't take it personally. What I'm trying to say is that you've done NOTHING wrong. You've done everything right, and your mother could not have had a more caring, involved, and concerned daughter. I bet she was proud of you! So please, lose the guilt - it has no place in your life. Be proud of what you did for your mum, and how you were there for her to the end.

I'm glad that you're addressing the issue of your grief in a healthy way, and are able to get the support you need. Your mother will still be around you - you'll probably sense her there sometimes and wonder if it's your imagination. I'd skip the letter and just plain talk to her. Out loud, when you're alone. Or just sit quietly with a photograph and light a candle. I really believe this.. especially after losing someone myself a few years ago. I could recommend some fantastic books that you might find very comforting, if you're open-minded.

I wish you all the best Reggie.. (((Big Hug)))

:)

x Rose

Reggie, I know how hard it is to deal with the grief of losing someone so important in your life. I lost my youngest child this year and though the circumstances were very different, many of the feelings that you are dealing with are very much the same. I have come to realize that dealing with guilt is a enormous part of the process of going on after losing someone that you both loved and took responsibility for (as you did with your mother). Taking responsibility is an act of love but it can also stray into an unhealthy presumption that we are somehow in control. We are not. Each one of us, your mother, my son, you and I, have our own paths. We each make our own decisions and even when we cede the decision-making to someone else, that is still our decision to do so. It's a slippery nuance to hang onto, that difference between responsibility and control, but I think it is where transformative thinking can come from. There is so much good that comes of loving a person: knowing the depth of love that is possible, learning to give love as it was given to us, gratitude that we got to experience such love no matter how briefly. Guilt can come in and obliterate all that goodness when left unchecked.

My latest attempt to deal with guilt is to see it as an annoying neighbor that just won't leave me alone. Instead of sneaking around and trying to pretend I'm not home, I invite her in for the shortest stay possible, listen to what she has to say with detachment and then politely showing her the door. If nothing else, it feels like I am less vulnerable to the surprise attacks.

Good luck with finding your way down this road. <3

I've been meaning to PM Rose Petal and herbavore to avoid bumping this thread but her box is full. I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help. Your posts really mean a lot to me and I've re-read them several times when feeling down. You are very kind, and I feel so fortunate that there are fine people like you to bring me up and help with my healing. I'm doing so much better now and feel fantastic in comparison to how I felt previously. <3<3

I hope to get myself together more fully and help contribute more to this generous community. Thank you all.