• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

my life story-- where drugs took me & how i got help

Tyler650r

Greenlighter
Throughout my life I had always considered myself to be very responsible. I did what I was told; I tried my best to help others, and had a good job that I was good at.
One day I wrecked a motorcycle which in turn caused me to be prescribed multiple pain pills. I took these for over a month before I noticed I was beginning to rely on them for relief from pain. I then decided to talk to my doctor about this. He immediately decided to take me off of them. Instead of dealing with the pain of withdrawal I decided to start purchasing oxycodone 30s from some people I worked with.
Throughout the course of about a year I was still the same person and contributing to society. I thought I was responsible even though I was spending hundreds of dollars a day on my drug problem. But I was still responsible right? Unfortunately I had a large savings account with almost $30,000 in it. Before I knew it, it was almost gone.
Once I realized I could not afford to keep this habit up I started using heroin. I began stressing out about drugs and money to continue my nasty habit. It was turning into more problems than I knew it was worth. I was so stressed out I began turning myself into a liability to myself and those around me I started justifying my actions with the fact I was using drugs. But doesn’t that mean that by using drugs I was irresponsible? I began showing up late to work and many other things that I wouldn’t have done sober. I did so many petty things like this I started feeling worthless and unproductive. I started to cause my family and girlfriend great worry and disappointment by secluding myself and becoming very depressed.
It took a long time to get back to the way things were before, but it all started by losing the drugs. I decided to check myself into a rehab and confront my problems. I dealt with the paws symptoms for many months. But today it’s been over 10 months since I last did an opiate and didn’t know I could ever feel this good again!

Good for you! One of the particular problems with drugs that I really think goes understated by both addicts and psychiatric/addiction medicine personnel is that if you were to completely quit drugs, and get all of the benefits of quitting drugs and living a fulfilled life where your potential is realized, is that you will never feel as good as you did when you did drugs. The best feelings in your life are gone, never to return. That's a very difficult idea for me to accept. Im glad you have returned to feeling good again!