View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My first "less than good" trip

EphemeralOutlet141

Bluelight Crew
I apologize for the length, to describe an experience like this I feel like I can't leave anything out. Also, I'm not sure if this belongs in Trip Reports or not, but I am looking for discussion so I put it here.

First off, I'm semi-experienced with LSD and LSA. I've tripped a decent amount of times before and I had always smoked weed with them. Last night I got ahold of 5 tabs of LSD, that coupled with no work the next morning made me wanna trip all night long.

My initial drop was at about midnight, I took two. When it first started out (1-3 hours in) I was having the usual visuals and really enjoying myself. Sometime around the second hour I packed a small one-hitter and went outside (I smoked bong after bong when I had tripped before, for some perspective). It was a beautiful night and I was seeing everything so vibrantly, everything was breathtakingly beautiful.

I went back inside and sat on my couch to watch TV and I noticed that not only were the vibrancy of the visuals getting stronger, but everything began to lose form and run fluidly through space. I could find no solid ground so eventually I felt the same thing happen to me. It was extremely frightening, I began to question my own existence and for lack of a better term, "lose it". My body looked and felt foreign to me. If I had to try and put it into words it felt as if my mind itself was beginning to try to separate from my body and reality as a whole. My entire sense of self was completely obliterated. This must be what people describe as ego death.

I basically just wandered my house the rest of the night trying to find something that would give me some sort of grounding, but everything still felt so foreign and nothing made any sense to me. Time was irrelevant, everytime I looked at a clock it displayed a different time. I think I began to put the pieces back together when the sun came up. I grabbed a piece of paper and decided to just write down what I was experiencing until I tired out and eventually woke up in my bed (still don't know how I got there).

To be completely honest I'm more intrigued than frightened by the experience. I understand that I was under the influence of a drug, and I am still very real haha. I feel like complete shit and my brain is very upset with me, but that's usual for me after I trip. So far, my senses and thoughts have returned to me and I don't feel as if I've suffered any permanent damage, but I've heard that it is possible. Just for background, I used to be a very anxious and depressed person, but I've made good progress treating both without drugs. Was it possible that I experienced a panic attack at the height of my trip, after I had smoked? Could anyone share any similar experiences?

That's ego death for you. It's terrifying for most people's first time, but once you learn to ride it, it's probably the best part about psychedelics.

That's ego death for you. It's terrifying for most people's first time, but once you learn to ride it, it's probably the best part about psychedelics.

I stumbled into the megathread about ego death and related a lot to it. I guess it's best that I accept what happened and not try to dwell on the specifics, that seems to be the general consensus. I have noticed that I'm not nearly as judgmental or analytic as I was before I went into the trip. Everything is up to interpretation now.

In a way I feel like I left a part of me with the trip, but I might be better off without it.

Last edited:
I stumbled into the megathread about ego death and related a lot to it. I guess it's best that I accept what happened and not try to dwell on the specifics, that seems to be the general consensus. I have noticed that I'm not nearly as judgmental or analytic as I was before I went into the trip. Everything is up to interpretation now.

In a way I feel like I left a part of me with the trip, but I might be better off without it.

Yaa, that definitely sounds like an ego loss to me. That primal fear in the beginning of its onset is something that isn't forgotten easily. If any come up is the most uncomfortable, it's an ego loss trip. Were you regularly smoking weed at the time? Either way, it's such a powerful potentiator that I feel is overlooked when doing combos with psychs/stims.

These particular substances are known to disconnect your mind from your sense of self, leading to a greater understanding and awareness of everything. It shows us that through our ways of living and the structure of all these different systems in play everyday, we had forgotten the basics. Without the inherent bias that comes from one's own consciously judgmental perspective, we are opened up to our true nature and everything/everyone around us. All of us are just one and only one. But one can make all the difference, and when one looks around the world, we are all judged positively for the differences we make for others.

I think these ego loss trips can be very valuable as long as the lessons learned are applied after the trip. And for a lot of people, that's exactly what happens too. So welcome aboard. :)

I had not smoked a lot during my trip, but I had smoked a lot earlier in the day. If you're asking if I smoke regularly, then yeah normally every day.

i have gotten this feeling of looking for something to ground yourself on, and finding nothing to do so, not even my 'sense of self'. it can be uncomfortable.

on one of my last trips i noticed this and i started to think about it. why is this uncomfortable? what am i/are you afraid of? is there something to be afraid of? what is 'grounding' on something? these are some intriguing questions.

i bet our egos dislike when things stop making sense, because it uses reason and meaning to exist... well, whatever. i don't really know how to word what i am trying to say, but i think i know and have experienced exactly what you mean. now, don't mistake me for a 'spiritual' guy - i am not by any means -, but 'the Power of Now' is an interesting book that can help you on this subject of letting go of the ego.

again, why is this uncomfortable? what are you afraid of?

in the book, the author says the ego is always afraid of being proven wrong... well, i hope you get what i mean, i'm really bad at wording it lol

For me, an ego loss trip can be freaky because there isn't anything out there like it. That and with the way I perceive it, it feels like I'm dying in the first few moments/minutes. Plus each time it happened, I wasn't expecting that level of a trip.

I personally don't mind being wrong, lol. Everyone is wrong at some point (or there is at least a better answer), no matter how smart someone supposedly is. I think Stephen Hawking would agree with this too, and he seems to be the smartest person alive today. I actually think it's smarter to acknowledge that it is all relative and compared to the amount of knowledge out there, no human is actually that smart. Eg. artificial intelligence can easily be "smarter" than humans.

I think there are two types of smarts anyways; knowing and doing. I've met some people who others would consider to be "dumb," but they are actually smarter than them with their actions. On the other side, I've known people who are sort of smart, but then they barely know how to do common sense things. Knowing, and acting upon what they know, can be worlds apart. Also, intelligence comes from our memories and cognitive skills; anyone can pretend to know by typing into a Google search box and all that. Some of those people forget that the mere act of searching out the info means they didn't know it in the first place.

This isn't to say people shouldn't do some amateur research though. It's great that technology has come so far to allow everyone easy access to lots of information. But I just feel like it's dumb to act like an expert when one has to search for the main body of info. It should already have been in a person's mind and memories. I abide by this to have a sense of dignity and honesty.

But anyway, I have digressed. =D I myself did smoke weed pretty often, but for about the past couple weeks I've stayed clean from that too. Combining it with a psych can definitely take trips to the next level.

weed+psychedelics is always a good combo for an overwhelming experience. whenever get overwhelmed i focus on my breathing, psychedelic panic starts from the physical/muscular tension of being mentally uncomfortable. focus on deep breathing and relaxing your muscles, let the experience wash over you :)

Or if worse comes to worse have some jack daniels handy and focus on getting drunk instead!

i have gotten this feeling of looking for something to ground yourself on, and finding nothing to do so, not even my 'sense of self'. it can be uncomfortable.

on one of my last trips i noticed this and i started to think about it. why is this uncomfortable? what am i/are you afraid of? is there something to be afraid of? what is 'grounding' on something? these are some intriguing questions.

i bet our egos dislike when things stop making sense, because it uses reason and meaning to exist... well, whatever. i don't really know how to word what i am trying to say, but i think i know and have experienced exactly what you mean. now, don't mistake me for a 'spiritual' guy - i am not by any means -, but 'the Power of Now' is an interesting book that can help you on this subject of letting go of the ego.

again, why is this uncomfortable? what are you afraid of?

in the book, the author says the ego is always afraid of being proven wrong... well, i hope you get what i mean, i'm really bad at wording it lol

You hit the nail right on the head with this, I think you found the perfect wording for my experience.

Thanks a lot for all the input everyone, definitely helping me to understand this. I had heard of ego loss before but I never really looked into it.