View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! My dmt got moistened, what should I do

BratGypsy

Greenlighter
It turned into like a gel like form, did the change the molecule structure, and can it still be smoked?

DMT freebase is unaffected by water and also insoluble.
Store it in a sealed container with some silica gel drying packets for a few days?

Did you store it in plastic? Then the change could indicate microplastics contamination of your DMT.

If you know it's just moisture then dry it. No problem.

DMT freebase is unaffected by water and also insoluble.
Store it in a sealed container with some silica gel drying packets for a few days?

If you don't have dry packets on hand, sometimes a few grains of dried rice will do the trick, Comrades!

Did you store it in plastic? Then the change could indicate microplastics contamination of your DMT.
Plastic containers don't magically contaminate everything with microplastics: they usually occur in wear settings like wastewater and oceans (where plastic is abraded against concrete/stones over time).

It turned into like a gel like form, did the change the molecule structure, and can it still be smoked?
I'm not a chemist, but I can provide some general insights based on known information. If DMT (dimethyltryptamine) has become moist, several things could be happening:

1. Absorption of Moisture: Many substances, including certain drugs, can absorb moisture from the air and clump together or form a gel-like substance. This doesn't necessarily mean the molecular structure of the DMT has changed, but rather that it's absorbed water.
  2. Oxidation: Over time, DMT can oxidize, especially in the presence of air and light. The oxidation might change its color and possibly its consistency. Oxidation does change the chemical structure of the molecule, but the extent to which this affects the activity of the substance can vary.
  3. Usage: If you're considering using the DMT, there are several risks to consider. Moisture can introduce contaminants or bacteria, which may not be safe to consume. If the DMT has changed in appearance and consistency, there's no guarantee that its effects will be the same as before. There's also the possibility of harmful byproducts from the chemical changes that have occurred.
  4. Salvaging: Some individuals attempt to dry out substances that have become moist by placing them in a cool, dry place or using desiccants. However, the effectiveness of this method can vary, and it might not restore the substance to its original state.
  5. Safety First: If there's uncertainty about the state of any substance, especially one that's going to be consumed or inhaled, it's essential to err on the side of caution. Introducing an unknown or altered substance into your body can be hazardous.
In conclusion: While the moisture may not have changed the fundamental structure of the DMT, it can introduce other risks. It's essential to be cautious and prioritize safety over the potential benefits of using the substance.

Plastic containers don't magically contaminate everything with microplastics: they usually occur in wear settings like wastewater and oceans (where plastic is abraded against concrete/stones over time).

I'll also note for the benefit of the reader that if you are one of those people who believes that microplastics are harmful, you can serve drinks in a plastic cup. But don't store drinks in a plastic bottle. Store it in glass, serve in plastic (or whatever really).

But I just made that up on the spot so all I'm pointing out is that plastic degredation....takes time, I think? Eating off of a plastic fork wouldn't be as bad, I guess as having a plastic retainer in your mouth all night. Please fact check me on this, I'm attempting to help but I'm not allowed to run tests on humans.

I was referring to the notion that DMT can dissolve and absorb phtalates in plastics. I guess "microplastics" isn't the exact right term. I certainly wasn't referring to any "magical" or "everything".

According to my understanding, "moist" looking DMT in a plastic bag could mean it's contaminated.

I was referring to the notion that DMT can dissolve and absorb phtalates in plastics. I guess "microplastics" isn't the exact right term. I certainly wasn't referring to any "magical" or "everything".

According to my understanding, "moist" looking DMT in a plastic bag could mean it's contaminated.
I have never heard that before. Do you have a source for this? It sounds, um, far fetched.

I have never heard that before. Do you have a source for this? It sounds, um, far fetched.

It's been around the DMT community for a while and it seems generally agreed upon by overall credible posters. Can't find any proper source beyond anecdotal experience.

I recently transferred all my deemz from plastic bags to vials. It looked the exact same as before, but i stored it frozen so any reaction would've been slowed down.

It could well be an urban myth, but one that suggests a very simple precaution at no loss. So i'm going with that. Have seen claims of DMT being contaminated eventually in plastic at room temp.

Phthalates and DMT have similar polarities.

Bottom line, i offer this as a tentative harm reduction advice, not as a certain truth.

Last edited:
I would really like any evidence for it. Like even going further into their physical properties or defining if free pthalic acid is referred to or esters or something.

Honestly i kind of interpret this is people thinking dmt smells like plastic and therefore is plastic. Amines and caroboxylates are going to have different properties.

I don't disagree that vials are classy and the way to go, but drug culture has so many myths that propagate due to sounding right.

I would really like any evidence for it.

You're overthinking this. The largest determining factor should be according to potato/napkin math should be dipole-moment similarity between proposed solvent/solute pairs. For Msr. Mjäll's theory to be correct, pthalates would have to be present in the plastic at concerning levels, the pthalates would have to be improperly bound in the plastic, and the MDMA would have to have a dramaticly better pthalate affinity (e.g. closer dipole moment) moment than the plastic.
We would next need to accept that transpiration takes place so that the plastic sitting underneath your little deemcake drips it's pthalate UPWARDS into your deem.
Also it would be necessary that the pthalate, although improperly bound in your container does not leach out into the air, the lining of your freezer, or your hand (which contains a solute rich environment in the forms of saltwater AND various oils) has not already leached the pthalate out.
Meanwhile solids are not great at dissolving things.
Also pthalate would have to have significant mobility within the plastic in order to run like a pack of angry Mongols towards your DMT in an attempt to invade it.

Please don't microwave plastic.

Have you considered putting your deems into a paper bag, and putting that in the plastic? Or maybe you can pile them in a little shot glass in the plastic container so that they don't have to touch the plastic!

If you're worried about health, here is my toxins checklist:

• Red meat
  • Sun exposure
  • unprotected sex
  • alcohol
  • tobacco
  • stress
  • heavy metals
  • lethargy

Edit: I presume you're smoking your elf crystals? I'll just leave this here:

Last edited:
Polyester sheets/blankets/clothes/towels are also a source for those reading this thread that care about microplastics