My Best friend went to Jail

Drock

Bluelighter
He got arrested last night for possession of a cocaine like substance. There is no way there was coke in the car. He was driving his fathers car. I know the cops found syringes, but the coke charge is b.s. If they found anything, it was his parents, not his. The cops know who he is and they let everyone else in the car leave before they arrested him. And I walked for 45 freekin' minutes because I was supposed to pick up the car and drive it home, and when I show up they have my friend in the back seat and won't give me a ride home! Man I miss him already. His rents are broke too like I am, were trying to come up with $500 for bond. I have nothing worth pawning and I can't donate blood b/c I'm anemic. I'm racking my brain over this guys, I don't want him to sit there

hang strong bro , holding cells aren't end all,neither is jail. But keep your head up and you will figure something out , sleep on it bro. Talk to his fam.

Thanks, his family is family to me too were like brothers

Nah we can come up with the money, we always do some how. I'm going to try and do some odd jobs today. Not looking forward to it though.

Can he call you collect or do you only have a cell phone? It's very frustrating when you're in jail not being able to call anyone because a) Who memorizes numbers in these days of 'my contacts' lists? and b) unless a special account is set up by you for your cell to accept collect calls from the jail, the only numbers he'll be able to call collect immediately will be land line numbers.

What state is this? I ask because it can make a huge difference on the eventual outcome. If it were California, and this was his first 'possession' charge (or any using charge in general) he'd be out soon and required to attend classes/sessions. The first offense usually results in the person going to a joke-like 'educational' course for a few months called PC-1000, the second involves a more intense course requirement permissible after the approval of Proposition 36, the third...? Not sure.

If you can speak to him, tell him to call a bail bondsman (or you do it with his info) in order to find out exactly what he's been charged with and so forth. I'm pretty sure he'll be out soon. But yeah, it does suck to be there. I spent 11 months in county for multiple drug-related charges as well as DUI. I never took the first couple of 'get out of jail free' cards they handed me that I described above seriously. Never even went to a single class. So that ultimately didn't help me either.

Chin up, all will be well. If you want to look out for him as best you can in any way you can starting now, make sure he has some money on his books so he can order commissary (extra food, shampoo, razor, cookies, whatever). It's a pretty good feeling hearing them call out your name for an order you placed even though you doubted you had or would be getting any money. It says, "Somebody gives a shit. My friend!"

It's in Nebraska and It's not his first offense like this. How ever he has a way of making deals to work of his charges. Somehow he keeps managing to get free calls to my cell phone and I've talked to him several times.

@Blues runner: How is Goa India? I'm into Goa trance and it would be sick even just to visit. I've dreamed about going to BOOM fest there.

It always sucks getting lockup up. If it's not his first time he should know that if he gets a lawyer and shows the court he is trying to change he can get a good plea deal. Even if the blow wasn't his, he had syringes so he does dope, it sucks but we all know that dope is illegal so when we do it at some point you hav to expect the law will catch you.

I wish him luck, and know that it seems worse now than it will turn out to be.

There is a legal forum here..might get more answers there.

But if his parents own up to it..problem solved. Or maybe your friend has a secret coke prob..wouldn't be the first time someone hid drug use.

Umm "coke like"? Cops do field testing with their chemistry kits everytime they make a drug bust, its required. They would know if it was coke or not so I have no idea what "coke like" means. Nor have I ever even heard the charge in my entire life.

The active substance has to be identified in order to press charges, was is coke or not?

Umm "coke like"? Cops do field testing with their chemistry kits everytime they make a drug bust, its required. They would know if it was coke or not so I have no idea what "coke like" means. Nor have I ever even heard the charge in my entire life.

The active substance has to be identified in order to press charges, was is coke or not?

Most police don't carry field tests..... and they definitely don't have on hand, tests to identify all illegal substances. You can still be arrested and have to post bail and such on suspicion of possession if theres reasonable cause, but not formally charged pending the lab results which may take a day or so. And coke-like would mean in this case having properties resembling that of cocaine. ;)

Most police don't carry field tests, and how will does that does that field test discriminate cocaine from its derivative local anesthetics or other tropane alkaloids?

I dunno yo on the show cops I see it ALL the time, they pull someone over, and do this little test where they take a chunk or little peice of powder and put this solution on the end of a q-tip and see if it turns blue

or they use a little dropper and drop a droplet of the solution onto the coke/.whatever and wait for the color change

I think this is a very cheap basic test. On one episode the girl said it was sheetrock on her shirt and the cop whipped it RIGHT the fuck out. Another episode the cop swabbed the bottom of the dudes nose where powder had accumulated from his nose running.

They do not have a test kit for all substances, but crack/cocaine is a problem nationwide and apparently extremely easy to test for.

There's no need for them to be all prepared with a test kit in every car, there's a charge call "possession of a counterfeit controlled substance" so if they can't identify the substance, they'll just charge you with that.

My buddy is out of Jail! We bonded him out, but something smells fishy. Turns out the patrol car that pulled him over was out of his jurisdiction.

Unfortunately from your friend's standpoint, saying it wasn't his is about as useful in a US Court as saying it wasn't cocaine.

Once the GC/MS report comes back on the substance, if it wasn't cocaine -- and it wasn't a controlled substance...should be clear unless the drug was packaged for consumption/sale.

Otherwise, that's pretty serious felony charges. Good luck to your friend and keep us posted. If your friend is a nonviolent drug offender, perhaps a drug court in their jurisdiction will be able to keep the despair of a felony on the record at bay.

I wish your friend the best of luck and I hope that if anything he will learn a lesson from this, regardless of whose fault it may be.