• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushrooms and Traumatic brain injury

try it once with a half dose of what you're thinking is a full trip, and then do the full thing later if you haven't noticed anything bad from the first one, psilocybin is one of those drugs that never seems to have long lasting effects, so i'm really certain you'll be fine, but still be careful man

Well its been 2 years since my accident and I finally feel sane enough to try them. Got 3.5g of some penis envy mush that are EXTREMELY potent. Definitely starting off really slow with these. Ill let you all know how it turns out

hi my name is ben and i had a similiar brain injury to my left temporal lobe internel bleeding, bruising, etc.. but i personally had done a 1L''x .25 wide stem of a mushroom about 4-5 weeks after having the accident, and from what i recollect it made my moods swing more then what i was used before hand, although combined with smoking pot and cigs after prob didnt help my moods either but really after that i really havent been the same not to mention prob 8 months after my accident i did a small amount of mushrooms and went on a small trip with a small amount of liqour at first... for the most part some minor bipolar and more just not being about to keep a straight mindset for more then a brief time period... so im not saying dont do them, or do them im simply putting the context out there... any one have questions im open for explanations.

ive not posted in a thread ever before. apologies for fuckups

intensive recovery for tbi is 2 years they say. my 2 years will end in october this year. if i remeber correctly someone had mentioned using some psychedelics that resulted in some additional problems, as though these drug had impacted them negatively. i think their experience may be what it is because the intensive recovery had just newly began for them. i look forward to reading your experience and i hope that this fungi can offer help, just as marijuana can.

I'm thinking of partaking in eating some mush on my B-day but am leery what of what they could possibly do to your brain?

Can somebody please help me out.
Thanks...

I'm thinking of partaking in eating some mush on my B-day but am leery what of what they could possibly do to your brain?

Can somebody please help me out.
Thanks...

If you're concerned about injury or damage, there's no evidence shrooms cause this. People have used them for thousands of years without getting hurt. You can't overdose on them and they're not addictive.

Mushrooms may trigger episodes of an existing mental illness. If you are mentally healthy they will generally not do this. It's best to wait two weeks to a few months between trips or else you might experience some negative mental effects and psychedelics will be weaker.

Mushrooms can be overwhelming at higher doses. They can trigger panic and other strong emotions. If you trip in a comfortable environment with people you trust and with a positive, calm attitude, the chances for this to happen are very slim. How much were you planning to take?

I'm thinking of taking 2 grams. I've taken mushrooms in the past, but wasn't sure as to how it would act with a ABI or TBI :).

If you're concerned about injury or damage, there's no evidence shrooms cause this. People have used them for thousands of years without getting hurt. You can't overdose on them and they're not addictive.

Mushrooms may trigger episodes of an existing mental illness. If you are mentally healthy they will generally not do this. It's best to wait two weeks to a few months between trips or else you might experience some negative mental effects and psychedelics will be weaker.

Mushrooms can be overwhelming at higher doses. They can trigger panic and other strong emotions. If you trip in a comfortable environment with people you trust and with a positive, calm attitude, the chances for this to happen are very slim. How much were you planning to take?

I would say, if you've experienced mushooms before sustaining brain injury, then you potentially have a unique opportunity to experience new mindstates which may be radically different to those you've experienced before. Of course if you have also suffered mental unless, you should proceed with great caution. But it is a well known fact that much of what we know about human psychology comes from the studying of abnormality - so in your situation, if I felt sound of mind, I would do it - and then write about your unique experience, and if I found the experience beneficial, I would use online-media to popularise my story.

Disclaimer: I have a pro-drugs agenda.

Just before coming across this thread, I was making a snack in my kitchen and asking myself to what extent can I blame
some current problems in my life on my being so physically banged-up and as "punch-drunk" as I am.
It seems to me that frequently, as of late, when I am engaged in thoughtful problem-solving, I will arrive at a solution only to
have my awareness of the solution quickly grow dim and disappear. It is very frustrating because having arrived at a solution, as the awareness slips from my mind I sense I don't have the mental energy necessary to grasp and regain such awareness because I just spent it arriving at the solution in the first place. In any event, I hope I can downplay what issues I have which stem from injuries I have received.

It would be great if taking mushrooms or something similar would help me with this apparent retention problem, and I am actively exploring such possibilities. My varied experience involving drugs and head-wounds leads me to think that if you got what you deemed a favorable response from your initial mushroom experience, you might find yourself developing a real affinity for the process. Simply put, what I am saying is you don't want to suddenly find yourself overdoing the mushrooms. Good-luck though. Drugs are to make us better.

Start extra low just to be see of you react any differently than normally / neurotypicals would.

Don't listen to people recommending diving in the deep end, this is a harm reduction forum ffs - and we are talking about someone's health here. @ those people: Choose your words more carefully or you're gonna have to answer to me.

edit: no dreamboat it is a coincidence that i posted this after your post

Last edited:
Like Cliffy78 said, "Be Careful."
Reading Solipsis' injuction above, I find myself wondering if something I said
was misconstrued and that my warning was somehow understood as advising
taking a lot of mushrooms. It is the case that I have had pretty serious injuries
before, during, and after tripping. This being the case, if an instance arises wherein
I might be included amongst those who should "Choose your words more carefully. . . ", wrong or right, I
have to consider myself as a possible candidate. -Perhaps a result of the combination of psychedelics and head-wounds.
If my intended message was not clear, I am truly sorry.

To somewhat clarify; When I said, "It would be great if taking mushrooms or something similar would help me. . . ", I meant
it in a context recognizing that simply taking a drug probably isn't going to adequately solve the problem, ie. "wishful thinking".
What I said after the above should be understood as a warning acknowledging that if you do take some mushrooms, you may
find something compelling in the experience and want to take them again. I was warning that with a brain-injury, you might be more
susceptible to finding yourself taking mushrooms casually and compulsively after good initial results.

Of course, if the warning to use greater verbal discretion was not in fact meant for me, and my message was
understood as intended. . . "Rock on!". Well, Hey! "Rock on!" anyways.

A note- Some of my earlier posts make me sound a little rough. If getting mistakenly pulverized by a couple of cops makes someone tough, then
tough I am. "Unbelievable." is the only way to describe the chain of events that ushered tragic and violent events into my life. I don't have any
felonies, and when I say above that I am, "actively exploring such possibilities", vis-a-vis using psychedelics for healing, I have to say that is somewhat open to debate and if I am in fact heading down a path that will culminate in my taking a trip, I am doing so with utmost caution. Before I would take a psychedelic drug in the hope of healing, I would be sure I was physically, mentally, and spiritually prepared through diet, exercise, and meditation. Currently, I do pay attention to my diet and I exercise, and I meditate. Maybe at some time in the future I will feel compelled to take a psychedelic drug as I will feel
confident in a positive outcome.

Well. . . Be well. "Talk amongst yourselves!"

I don't mean to high-jack your thread with this focus on me.
So, Good-bye and Good-luck!

I was in a car accident last July and received a pretty sever concussion. I was tripping on 'cid before my wounds were even completely healed. Didn't seem to have any lasting effect on me, but as others have said before, start out low and work your way up.

What about if you've endured a brain injury 11 years ago?

If you can't think straight because of your TBI I wouldn't recommend mushrooms. It will probably be really uncomfortable no matter what you do.

Usually you can't really tell if you're thinking straight or not with brain disorders.

Even if your still on medications for the brain injury?

I have a friend who suffered a similar experience. He had to learn how to walk and talk again, very traumatic and many props and congrats to you for sticking through it. As far as mushrooms go, we did mushrooms together after his recovery and he had an excellent time. As far as setting back his recovery, it did no such thing. Wether his experience was any different from previous experiences, I have no idea because I am not him lol. Also, on a side note, like a poster above me has stated, every brain injury is unique. If you are worried, I would recommend starting with a low dose and seeing how you feel. Trip safe and I'm very glad you have made it to recovery!

My accident Happend in Aug 12' As with Skatzz' symptoms, Mine mirrored his, front lobe damage an skull fracture 4-5 places from the front to the back. I was out 3-4 weeks, remember nothing, short term is still messed up, I have came a long way with good recovery, after a stint of 5 months on Zyprexa which turned out to be horrific, Just this Oct 14' did I start Limotrigine, a neurological med. My racing thoughts have become manageable. My perspective and keen hearing has been interesting to say the least. I also went to a much larger vocabulary, and using words as described by Skatzz. I thought I was getting smarter as a result of the accident, But I am merely just using more capacity or different sections of my brain. This is my synopsis, is it correct? No one can tell us these things.
I stopped cold turkey the zyprexa and started Mary Jane. That was probably the best thing I could have done. I am now going to give the shrooms a chance, I am looking forward to a trip, as if the last three years hasn't been trip enough. I am looking for the alternative life changing or thought process changes.
My TBI has brought about some concerns I had before the accident and has heightened those issues, OCD, PTSD, manic depression. I jeel as though God has put me on a journey to find myself haha at the age of 45, I feel like a kid again.
Can anyone direct me to a specific shroom strain, as this will be my first experience. Has anyone brought this up to your doctor? Thanks

I'm looking to maybe do mushrooms in a couple months or so but im just concerned on how its going to effect me now that ive had an injury to my brain. Ive done them 7 times before the injury, so I'm familiar with them.

A little background on my injury. On January of 2010 i had a fatal car accident that left me with a traumatic brain injury. I was in a doctor induced coma for 3 days but was in a slight coma for the next 2 weeks. My mind didn't technically wake up till 2 weeks later even though i was partially coherent, able to move and talk (from what i heard from family members at least, i have no recollection of those 2 weeks). Skipping to a year later I have little to no deficits, mostly social issues and processing things at a "normal" rate. (On a side note my vocabulary became immense and i started popping off words that i didn't even know and i used them in the right context. Surprised me and my mother who's a speech therapist). Ive smoked marijuana all the way through my recovery, practically everyday and i feel it has actually helped my brain recover faster and more fully. I think Marijuana doesn't dull brain cells but helps reconnect some cells that i normally wouldn't of used if i hadn't of used it but i digress.

Ultimately what my question is if anybody else with a TBI or maybe know someone that has had a TBI that has done mushrooms and has been able to handle them/ not had any medical issue's while doing them.