View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mushrooms and Traumatic brain injury

shakzz

Greenlighter
I'm looking to maybe do mushrooms in a couple months or so but im just concerned on how its going to effect me now that ive had an injury to my brain. Ive done them 7 times before the injury, so I'm familiar with them.

A little background on my injury. On January of 2010 i had a fatal car accident that left me with a traumatic brain injury. I was in a doctor induced coma for 3 days but was in a slight coma for the next 2 weeks. My mind didn't technically wake up till 2 weeks later even though i was partially coherent, able to move and talk (from what i heard from family members at least, i have no recollection of those 2 weeks). Skipping to a year later I have little to no deficits, mostly social issues and processing things at a "normal" rate. (On a side note my vocabulary became immense and i started popping off words that i didn't even know and i used them in the right context. Surprised me and my mother who's a speech therapist). Ive smoked marijuana all the way through my recovery, practically everyday and i feel it has actually helped my brain recover faster and more fully. I think Marijuana doesn't dull brain cells but helps reconnect some cells that i normally wouldn't of used if i hadn't of used it but i digress.

Ultimately what my question is if anybody else with a TBI or maybe know someone that has had a TBI that has done mushrooms and has been able to handle them/ not had any medical issue's while doing them.

^ Nobody will be able to tell you. I'm sure each brain injury is unique from the next so even if someone had gone through a similar ordeal the chances of you injuring the exact same parts of the brain to the exact same degree are tiny if not impossible.

It sounds as though you are ok though? So i wouldn't fret about doing a few mushrooms.

Hi!
I would probably recommend you to start at a smaller dose than before, in case your brain isn't what it used to be.
Just as rickolasnice posted; noone knows how your brain was affected by the accident nor by your previous experiences. Therefor, start slow.

Take care of yourself :)

Take a small dose first, see how you go, then increase the dose for other trips if no probs.

i agree with the above. Start very low, as if you were trying a new substance for the first time. Could you elaborate a little on your injury? Which part(s) of your brain were damaged & how extensively?

Yeah sounds like a smart idea to start off really slow, probably just take a couple caps and stems see how i feel.

Well the damage to my brain was to my left temporal lobe, no hemorrhaging but a lot of scar tissue that's going to probably cause seizures in later years (isn't that great). I haven't had a check up MRI to see how my brain has healed yet but planning to when i have the time.

And i also forgot to say my short term memory is horrible. I forget things that i say right after i say them sometimes. I feel like a 90 year old dementia patient living in a 19 year old's body ha. Think that's going to be a problem when i take the shroom's? Because i know you can get very confused on shrooms very fast.

reply to first question

hi my name is ben and i had a similiar brain injury to my left temporal lobe internel bleeding, bruising, etc.. but i personally had done a 1L''x .25 wide stem of a mushroom about 4-5 weeks after having the accident, and from what i recollect it made my moods swing more then what i was used before hand, although combined with smoking pot and cigs after prob didnt help my moods either but really after that i really havent been the same not to mention prob 8 months after my accident i did a small amount of mushrooms and went on a small trip with a small amount of liqour at first... for the most part some minor bipolar and more just not being about to keep a straight mindset for more then a brief time period... so im not saying dont do them, or do them im simply putting the context out there... any one have questions im open for explanations.

I've had 6 concussions and been knocked out cold 2 times, well before I ever started playing with party favors. .problems me I not haven't noticed.....um wait...no, I kid. What everybody else is saying...try it in a small dose first. Baby steps, better safe than sorry. I've never really had any issues other than the issues I've always had :)

Hey I'm Chelsea. The same thing happened to me and I was wondering the same thing. And I'm the same age, too. Do you live in Georgia?

Did somebody else die in the accident? Anyway yeah who know what will happen maybe something got perm-fucked from it and you wont trip at all or maybe something worse could happen like your brain not being able to handle it and having it shut down and you die. Though your smoking the holy herb so its probably all good, id say do 5g's. You really gotta find out if your brains fine...just take a leap of faith. Hope your alright.

I just dropped off my friends at their place so no one was in the car but me. Crazy night to say the least but thats a story for another time. And chelsea no i dont live in Georgia, I live in Idaho (worst state in America). But what happened in your accident? and what was the extent of your TBI?

Hello, my name is Nick. I had a very horrific car accident, I had several cuts on my brain, and a traumatic injury to my frontal lobe, I was pronounced brain dead on the scene, I have no idea how long I would have stayed in a coma on my own, but I was induced for three weeks, and then in hospital recovering for 45 days, This happened around a year and a half ago and I have healed up amazingly. I was wondering if psilocybin would hurt me if I did it...I have stayed away from most things for the past year and a half and I think it would be a nice time for a trip...

id say do 5g's.

This isn't wise, especially since mushroom potency greatly ranges from batch to batch, I don't think the shrooms themselves would be of great harm, but that dose for a first timer could cause behavior that may result in further injury.

Hello, my name is Nick. I had a very horrific car accident, I had several cuts on my brain, and a traumatic injury to my frontal lobe, I was pronounced brain dead on the scene, I have no idea how long I would have stayed in a coma on my own, but I was induced for three weeks, and then in hospital recovering for 45 days, This happened around a year and a half ago and I have healed up amazingly. I was wondering if psilocybin would hurt me if I did it...I have stayed away from most things for the past year and a half and I think it would be a nice time for a trip...

I would say that nothing has changed since the first response to the the OP on this thread.

^ Nobody will be able to tell you. I'm sure each brain injury is unique from the next so even if someone had gone through a similar ordeal the chances of you injuring the exact same parts of the brain to the exact same degree are tiny if not impossible.

If you do decide to try psilocybin even with this uncertainty, as others have recommended here, start with a very small dose and based on the results determine where to go from there.

i can't imagine those hurting your brain. find out what the local flavor is because i have tripped of of 1g dried before in one city that was just as strong as several g dried from other cities. ask them what "1" dose would be, or what the threshold would be and start small. you can never be too careful