Muscular Necks

she phoenix

Bluelighter
Can you help me, I need help to improve the muscles around my neck.
My body is buff as hell, but my neck is so scrawny - it looks like a potato on a cocktail stick.
Anyone got any tips to help my neck keep up with the rest of my body?

Even better, do you have a picture of your own muscular neck to give me some motivation?

Cheers homies
<3

Do you do shrugs? I find intense dumbbell shrugs to be the best way to develop completely underdeveloped neck muscles. You haven't developed them at all yet so simple dumbbell shrugs ought to work great.

Shrugs and cleans all the way. Although shrugs are absolute killers on your neck I always throw in cleans as they are shuch a great compound movment.

When you do deadlifts you can always try yanking the bar a little (like you were trying to do a clean- but not getting anywhere near enough power behind it) its like an explosive shrug and always seems to leave me a bit stiff the next day.

my traps are huge...thanks to lots of pulling movements

new004.jpg

wow man you really have built it up around the neck its beautiful :)

i was thinking of working more shrugs into my routine to get that all rounded finish

^^^
We should work out together, takerefuge. :)
Then we could kick arse together!

yeah that sounds wicked id really like a training partner man
:)

nah we dont LCS what is it?

Try neck bridges...it's what wrestlers do to build up their neck size/strength. I do them on an exercise ball...painfull but work well

I have one of these I use at home. In addition to all the other things suggested in this thread, these focus just on the neck thickness in itself. I'll also just hold my head up off the ground and nod 30 times, then shake my head(side to side) 30 times.

sxncld.jpg

We've all seen the guy in the gym with the HUGE arms and a tiny, pencil neck. :\

Last edited:
^plus you look super cool doing it. :)

Neck exercises give me nasty DOMS... :(

Try Judo. Or get someone to strangle you. Resisting strangles definitely strengthened my neck. I don't mean traps though, my actual neck.

yeah i seem to have this problem also. my shoulders and traps really seem to be underdeveloped, doing my head in!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I totally forgot I even made this thread hence my not replying for ages.
I've started a new routine now, with some of your advice worked in, should have a nice chunky hunky neck in no time...
But god damn it hurts!!!

I find my neck just builds up with compound exercises, don't really need to target it specifically