• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Multi-drug addiction but trying to kick Xanax

some cunt

Greenlighter
Hey all, I need some help/advice.

I'm primarily just an alcoholic/pothead (for many, many years,) but have been using phenibut daily for about a year, and Xanax for about 2 months. I'd like to eventually kick everything, but since I'm still new to the xanax, let's start there.

Like I said, it's only been 2 months, so I don't think withdrawal will be terrible (hopefully??) For the first 6 weeks I was doing about 4 mg/day, and the last 2 weeks I've cut that down to about 2 mg/day. I've currently got only 4 mg left in my supply (but can re-up.) Do you think I should just take maybe 1 mg/day for the next four days and then jump off? Or will I need a much longer more drawn out taper? I know a long term benzo addict would need a much slower taper, but since I've only been on 2 months, I dont want to draw this out and let the addiction grip harder. Any idea how bad an experience I'm in for? Would you recommend buying more pills and trying to get down to .5mg/day? Or would it be better to just suck it up now and get it over with?

I typically consume about a 1/2 liter of vodka/day, 2mg phenibut, and a few thc gummies everyday on top of that, do I need to cut any of that out to help my xanax W/D or is it better to just ease off the xanax one thing at a time?

Also, for the record, I have no idea if I'm actually even consuming true alprazolam and not some research chemical or even fentanyl. Because I've been getting from sketchy dude who buys off the dark net. But for the purposes of this thread, lets just assume I'm taking plain old xanax.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice. I'm an old poster from like 10 years ago, who forgot his name and password...

In 6 weeks of 2+mg a day, you may in fact be looking at withdrawals. In fact I would be really surprised if you didn't have withdrawals, the question is more how bad will they be? 2mg per day is not a small dose of alprazolam, and 4mg per day is pretty hefty.

The alcohol will definitely help with the symptoms, being addicted to two gabaergics at once (three actually, phenibut is as well) makes it a little murkier when it comes to what each drug is doing. You need to NOT try to cut the alcohol or phenibut out right now, in fact I would say keep right on going with everything else while you kick xanax, because one thing at a time is hard enough. Personally I find that weed greatly exacerbates my anxiety when I'm anxious and I wouldn't even consider smoking during benzo withdrawal, but then some people find weed to be anxiety-reducing so I guess if it helps you, go for it, but if you're really struggling with anxiety, you might try not smoking weed and see if it helps.

Xorkoth, thanks for your helpful reply.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with short term benzo addiction? As I said it's only been two months, so I'm still unsure as to whether I should suck it up and jump off now, or get more and taper slowly (and possibly make the addiction grip me worse?)

Your user title is astoundingly beautiful. Very poetic and floral. Sorry anyway.

Short-term benzo addiction is a much better place to be than long-term benzo addiction. I would be pretty confident that your use would definitely not cause seizures, or "brain zaps" (horrifying glitch in the brain as if a movie just skipped an entire scene). Brain zaps are intensely disturbing because they imply that one is about to seize out potentially. You're likely to experience rebound anxiety, and not only from your xanax use but also everything before it. Rebound anxiety can be bad enough to cause you to feel held hostage by your benzo use. You might want to relapse but it does go away in time, trust me.

However, I'm willing to bet that you have prevalent anxiety and that dictated your drug of choices. I don't know how to alleviate anxiety without the drugs, but benzos put a bandaid on something that can be fixed to begin with. No matter how you go about it, the anxiety you face may cause you to continuously rotate drugs unless something can be done to 'cure it.' I wish I knew what that "something" was.. but depression is my major issue (not anxiety). I think that you're in a good place though at the moment. It can definitely be so much worse trust me! Good luck :)

Edit: I never recommend withdrawing from multiple substance at once. Many have done such a thing, but I would never put myself through that. One at a time is my method of doing it.. or else people around me might get punched in the face for no reason lol.