• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Movie: Sherrybaby

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
It is the story of a girl, Sherry Swanson, a grade A, run of the mill, textbook New Jersey Junkie.

She has a 4 year old daughter who she barely knows becuz she spend the past 3 years in state prison on a robbery rap.

Now shes out....And life...Well....I guess life just kinda went on without her.

The movie follows the week or two after she gets outta lockdown.

I aint gonna say too much here becuz its just worth seeing on its own.

Maybe its just so good to me, becuz i KNOW her....not necessarily that girl in the movie, but a million just like her. fucking up. making mistakes. living in this fucked up shitty state with the fuckin shit just around the corner 24/7, where you cant be anywhere in the whole state thats more than 1 hour away from top grade heroin and coke and weed and.........

The shit was raw and real as fuck, and i usually dont like drama movies that aint about laughing, becuz usually i see movies to chill out and be entertained not get some heavy shit layed down on my shoulders for a hour and a half. but this was a different story.

Some snooty critics played the "Its cliched, whoo hoo, a girl is addicted to drugs, never seen that one before!" But they maybe aint realize that to them its just another movie, but to someone from here, who been thru that thing, man, its as real as it gets. and it dont matter if its a cliche, because LIFE is a cliche, and that character is a cliche, but not becuz they need her to be for the movie, but because shes just living her life and shes REAL. and thats the sadness of it.

If you like non preaching drug movies...Ones that actually dont try and make any "point" at all but just serve as a window into another persons life, with no drama, no crazy cinematography tricks, not cutting edge or mysterious or fast paced or thrilling, not shocking or controversial or upbeat or anything but just a real live witness of another persons life......Well then i think this is a movie you would love to watch.

I never seen a movie related to drugs like this that dont glamorize, or demonize drugs. it dont hype them up or play them down. a film where they aint the fun of the rockstars, they are the struggle of the average person that is walking past you in the supermarket that you dont even notice. and the best part of the movie is kind of how it shows how , when youre going thru it, how REAL and LIVE it is to you, becuz its your life, and how the rest of the world just dont seem to notice the urgentness of whats going on with you, how it just keeps moving along like it dont even matter. how to you its a huge tidal wave, and the ones around you cant possibly see inside, they just feel the little earth shake from 3,000 miles away.
Well, ill stop talkin to myself about it til someone else responds.
Anyone else see it? What do yall think?

Yea dude. thats why i liked it too. Shit was just real, thas all. no nothin, no bullshit just like if you videotaped your dopehead neighbors life for a week or something.

Glad some peoples finally responded! :)

and Danny Trejo is in it?

I think I'm going to make you send it to me!

Yea man Danny's character is actualy my favorite in the film. his name is Dean in the movie. but i like him for alot of reasons and i think one of em is that as many faults as he might have hes mad real and got a mad good heart.

this why i come to this forum, i wouldnt of known about this flick if it wasnt for this thread, so thx lacey for the heads up.

excellent movie on some real shit, like lacey was sayin the great thing about the movie is how real/raw it is.

sherrybaby.jpg

Danny trejo is so sick in this movie hes always the "bad guy" or "tough guy" and it was sick to see him in a role thats actualy one of the best hearted people in the film.

Really want to see this film, actually. I heard that many critics are angry that Gyllenhaal wasn't nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards.

trejo was a kick ass choice for that role. when i saw him i felt like i met that dude at past NA meetings.
i dig the realness of his character helping out sherry. and you cant blame homie for hittin that :) on some real shit.

*Bump*

This opened in London last week and I'm off to see it tomorrow. Report back.

this is premiering on film4 in the UK soon, next week i think, or maybe this weekend. I have chosen not to read the thread incase of spoilers. I will definitely be watching it though, i love maggie gyllenhall and her brother (im not gay, hes just a great actor(donnie darko my fav film))

Maybe there should be a poll on this thread, I would like to vote after ive watched it.

I've had this on DVD for ages and I still haven't seen it.

Maybe tomorrow night.

I <3 Maggie too. :)

tribal girl said:
*Bump*

This opened in London last week and I'm off to see it tomorrow. Report back.

what happened to that plan then=D

Maggie G. has an awesome body. I wanna fuck her on a washing machine in a sober-house, too.

Flick was good, too.

Last edited:
Saw this a couple months ago and I too was really drawn in by it. Maggie is such a believable recovering addict it's unreal. No glamorizing or Hollywooding life through the lens of drug abuse. Excellent.