• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Motivation issues on Suboxone?

downfallin

Bluelighter
I’ve been on Suboxone for about 2 years now and it’s been the only thing to keep me off of Heroin for this long. I’ve tried going on Vivitrol as well as just going full abstinence but this is all that has kept me past a year “clean” if you would call it that on matinence.
So I am grateful for it, but there are definitely side effects. The constipation was always bad and I have switched to a fully vegetarian diet to help combat this. This new diet has seemed to worsen another side effect. De motivation.

I am having trouble staying focused on my college courses and am towards the end of a Software Engineering degree but it is getting really difficult and I am getting overwhelmed easily and can’t seem to find the motivation to put in the work I need to at this level. I also feel like I sleep too much. When I was clean from everything I used to get up at 5 to go to the gym before work. I can never motivate myself out of bed early on Suboxone for some reason.
The main thing is I need to find the willpower to finish college because I’m already way in debt and I’ve gambled a lot on taking this path and can’t pull out now. Any advice to get myself motivated and focused? Btw I’ve also been diagnosed with ADD since I was 16 and I’m sure that’s at play as well.
Does anyone know anything to help with this issue?

Good luck bro, I also have/had motivation issues as well as over-sleeping issues in the morning. I also could not get motivated at all till after I had my first strip. I've been on subs 7 months, for the first 5 months 16-24mg and 2 months on 12mg but I just jumped cold turkey 4 days ago! Wish me luck as well bud. I know where your coming from about it keeping you "clean" for a year but I also know where your coming from when you say how motivated you were when you were truly clean. Me too bro, I want that feeling back that suboxone takes away. I got a thread up if you wanna follow my journey and I will forsure be checking on you. Stay strong bro and do what you need to for what's best for your situation, you ultimately know the right choices best, making them is what's hard.

Good luck bro, I also have/had motivation issues as well as over-sleeping issues in the morning. I also could not get motivated at all till after I had my first strip. I've been on subs 7 months, for the first 5 months 16-24mg and 2 months on 12mg but I just jumped cold turkey 4 days ago! Wish me luck as well bud. I know where your coming from about it keeping you "clean" for a year but I also know where your coming from when you say how motivated you were when you were truly clean. Me too bro, I want that feeling back that suboxone takes away. I got a thread up if you wanna follow my journey and I will forsure be checking on you. Stay strong bro and do what you need to for what's best for your situation, you ultimately know the right choices best, making them is what's hard.
Thanks man, sounds like you made the decision I will probably have to make as well. It`s probably the obvious answer to our issues, but we all know how hard it is. Wow! Jumping off from 12 mgs is a high dive into a shallow pool! I`m on 6 mgs a day now and still struggling, though I`ve been on them multiple years now at higher doses. Was on 16 mgs at first. Good job man! 4 days is nothing to scoff at, I know subs can be hard to quit just like anything else.

I`m sure you probably know these things being on this forum, but gabapentin, clonidine and trazadone (or some sleep aid) can be very helpful to withdrawal. Sub withdrawls would ramp up at days 5-7 for me because of the long ass half life. Hopefully you`re out of the woods though, a lot of people are done with acute withdrawls faster than I was. Also try to stay active, but don`t overdo it! I tried crossfit and lifting 7 days a week when I was about a week out of kicking last time and injured my knees and hips pretty bad because my joints just werent healthy enough yet for the intense load change, but I needed the endorphins from exercise to keep going. Just remember if you relapse it`s always better to go back to subs where you were stable and you can just jump off again. It will be WAY easier and not really much of a setback especially compared to if you go out and actually relapse on what we really want to relapse on. Good luck!

I’m curious do you guys take generic or brand name? I’m having lots of troubles with the genetics that I never had with brand name, trying to figure out if it’s just me or not.

-GC

I’m curious do you guys take generic or brand name? I’m having lots of troubles with the genetics that I never had with brand name, trying to figure out if it’s just me or not.

-GC
I take the brand name Suboxone 4mg strips. For some reason my insurance doesn`t cover generic bupe. even though that would be cheaper for them. They must have some sort of deal. The one that worked best for me was Subutex because it didn`t have the naloxone and just seemed to work so much better for some reason, but this doctor has never offered that one or similar options.

Damn lucky, I can only get covered on the generics and I’m running lower every day on my brand name stash :( Weird. You don’t have to be too specific or answer this at all, but are you in the states? I’ve never heard of 4mg strips either, only 2 and 8.

-GC

You guys remember when i told you about that spirit that follows me around. Well i found the perfect song it. And added lyrics just incase some people have a hearing disorder. I'm high as giraffe titties, but here you go.. a taboo dedication to a special entity in my life.

its not fucking schizophrenia

Damn lucky, I can only get covered on the generics and I’m running lower every day on my brand name stash :( Weird. You don’t have to be too specific or answer this at all, but are you in the states? I’ve never heard of 4mg strips either, only 2 and 8.

-GC
Yeah I’m in the states. My doc prescribed 8mgs a day so 4 in the am and 4 in the pm but I’ve tapered to 6. She offered switching to the 2s for tapering but I don’t like them because they are so huge and it’s a lot more nasty orange taste in your mouth for the same amount of mgs. I’ve gotten the generic before when the pharmacy ran out of brand name and I don’t remember too much of a difference. What is the difference you think?

So for me they just don’t seem to do quite what the brand name do, every generic I’ve tried I go into WD’s even though they still give me this fucked up lethargic feeling. I like Suboxone cuz it gives me energy, and allows me to function. This shit does neither. I’ve taken over 2x the amount of my normal dose and still felt in WD.

On top of that I get very bad migraine headaches from them too, so bad to the point where I wonder if I could even handle taking them long term.

If you look through my threads I just posted on regarding this issue with a link to a case study that highlights the issue. Doctors and patients all over and feeling this issue and complaining.

I’m tempted to start calling all around to pharmacies in my area to see if I can find brand name.

-GC

So for me they just don’t seem to do quite what the brand name do, every generic I’ve tried I go into WD’s even though they still give me this fucked up lethargic feeling. I like Suboxone cuz it gives me energy, and allows me to function. This shit does neither. I’ve taken over 2x the amount of my normal dose and still felt in WD.

On top of that I get very bad migraine headaches from them too, so bad to the point where I wonder if I could even handle taking them long term.

If you look through my threads I just posted on regarding this issue with a link to a case study that highlights the issue. Doctors and patients all over and feeling this issue and complaining.

I’m tempted to start calling all around to pharmacies in my area to see if I can find brand name.

-GC
Thats interesting, I`ve heard other people say that. Is it when you are transitioning onto them that it has this effect? Ive heard they are harder to switch to maybe its just because I`ve been taking just the subs that I didnt notice the difference as much. I remember I had the same issue and Subutex was the one that I could transition to easily.