Mental Health Most powerful Mood Boosting anti depressants?

belfort

Bluelighter
I have a fried that was prescribed citalopram and wasn't to optimistic going in but he said the first day he feels the effects..he said a feels a rush of sorts, like his mind is being kickstarted.he said it resembles a very low level mdma..no euphoria but he feels more alive..

I've taken Paxil and Zoloft and both made me into an even more apathetic, lazy guy yet one thing they both did was help me feel content overall, no matter if I laid in bed all day or whatever, I was locked in this ssri bubble ..I didn't even care that I was sleeping the days away, or that I gained 30 pounds and that I had no drive or ability

Welbutrin and Selegiline I've tried, they are somewhat motivating but no mood change..

Selegiline combined with Pea is extremely effective for boosting mood, desire to socialize, interest in life etc but not sustainable..

Any new anti depressants or older ones that are effective at boosting mood and interest in life?if so, tell me about them!

I've been prescribed so many antidepressants over the years and can't remember them all. Recently, I started Zoloft again and it made me a real slumped feeling and stomach ache. I definitely got a speedy effect from Prozac, maybe it's because they were always raising the dosage. Not so much with citalopram or escitalapram. Have you tried brintellix? (now they re-named it trintellix) That's a newer one. It helped with my mood but it messed with my sleep. It seems SSRI's have their pros and cons. I'm going to move this to Mental Health so you might get some more responses.

This one is a bit tricky mostly because there is no definitive answer. Problem is that psychiatric medications interact with human biology in such a complex way that it's hard to say any of them will be THE most powerful for everyone. Granted there is most certainly a good number of those meds that are nothing more than overcooked, refried horse hockey but, really, it just comes down to how it interacts with your system.

Like, for example, I'm on Paxil right now, it does great for the waking hours, keeps my mood really stable. I go to sleep and it's a living hell due to my PTSD. For me Paxil is the second strongest psychiatric med I've ever been on and I've been on far too many to even count at this point. First strongest for me was lithium but it messed with my crohn's disease in a dangerous way.

So, yeah, it really, in the end, comes down to how the medications interact with YOUR body because you can give two people the exact same med at the exact same dosage and, barring any allergic reactions since those tend to be a wild card situation, I can tell you, even if they had the same diagnosis there is a very good chance that one would feel it stronger than the other and the effects would feel a little different for each of them. Just due to our mental chemistry, which is what causes our disorders, not being out of sorts in the exact amounts of imbalance.

Footnote: If I seem a bit rambly, it's because I've been up for 36 hours due to what I call "painsomnia" so, basically, it hurts too much to lay down thanks to both fibromyalgia and arthritis acting up on me. Just hope you can understand what I'm trying to say!

The effect you're describing from citalopram sounds like hypomania. SSRIs are known to produce that effect for people with bipolar, if there isn't already a mood-stabilizer in the picture. But you're saying this isn't the same person who tried those other SSRIs? Because Paxil and Zoloft aren't terribly different.

Yeah, selegiline and PEA is not only quite dangerous, but it's quite addictive. There are anecdotes around the internet of people struggling horribly after taking that combination for over a few weeks. I did it for like five days, and even that was difficult to stop. Tolerance builds to much of the desired effect, too.

Effexor and Mirtazapine have downstream opioidergic activation, effexor being an SNRI, and mirtazapine a funky, multi-mechanism drug (mixed agonist-antagonist). But to be clear, it's not like being prescribed morphine or true opioids. Also, I think mirtazapine is less likely to activate mania. Effexor and bipolar disorder is an explosive combination (not in a good way).

The trouble with CBD is finding a reputable source, and determining optimal dosage.

Exercise, diet, and yoga/meditation go a long way. Waking up in the morning, and going to sleep at a reasonable time, is important for everyone's mental health. There are those of us who need only five hours of sleep per night, but they are a minority. Try to ensure going to sleep at the same time every night, and waking up at the same time in the morning. The last main activity would be helping other people out. Being directly useful to others. They will usually respond well, and help you in turn at some time in the future. If not, and/or if they're a stranger, you have full clearance to feel better about yourself! And finally, depending on what makes you feel fulfilled, spend your time constructively! Work on projects that accomplish something of substance!

Perhaps see how fish oil treats you. If it makes things significantly better, you might have bipolar on your hands.

A few cups of coffee can help, green tea for anxiety.

Zinc and magnesium can be useful supplements.

I'd recommend getting blood-work to see if you're deficient in any vitamins.

Ask your doctor what other supplement/activities, if any, he/she recommends.

I do wonder whether you'd find greatest benefit on a mood stabilizer, one that significantly treats depression, like lithium or lamotrigine.

I think seroquel is licensed to treat bipolar depression too, and possibly abilify. They're antipsychotics, but weaker ones, and doses would be much lower than that given to a schizophrenic.

MAOIs treat atypical depression and treatment-resistant depression pretty well, but they're used if you can't tolerate all other classes of antidepressants