• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

most incompetent professor youve ever had?

burn out

Bluelighter
i once had a professor that just talked and talked about random things and never really taught anything. he talked so much he would talk past the class ending time every day and people would get exasperated and just walk out. also, if you had to ask him a question after class hed start chatting with you about random stuff for about 15 minutes even if there was a line of 10 people behind you waiting to ask him a question (making you feel really awkward for wasting their time). he couldn't count and every test or assignment he handed out was numbered wrong and full of spelling and grammatical errors or even contained questions pertaining to material from his other classes. on every exam day hed show up at least half an hour late claiming to have some problem printing the exam and when it came to the final, he showed up 45 minutes late and still didn't have the exam. he ended up writing some questions on the board for us to answer. even when doing this, he had trouble numbering the questions properly and had to be corrected 3 times.

he never handed back a single assignment and later admitted to never having read or graded any of them. he gave every person a 4.0. i didnt even turn in a paper that was supposed to be worth 20% of my grade and i still got a 4.0. im still wondering how he didn't get fired because so many people complained about him.

also, in high school i had a physics teacher who didn't know physics and had to ask the smart kids for help when he couldn't solve a homework problem someone had a question with.

Sounds like a professor I had, except it was a woman. We never had an actual topic of conversation in class, no real focus, and the chapters in the book had nothing to do with what we talked about. She spent 90% of class time babbling about one thing or another, switching topics at the speed of light.

This class was more than two hours long.

I had a high school math teacher who pretty much let us just hang out or leave. We did "work" about once every two weeks.

prob my GF who was my english prof. she was baning me after the second class and I was living with by mid term she gave me a B-

This woman who's mine now. She's a cow. Revision time! "Sorry class, you'll have to figure this out on your own, I don't know how to do it." Nothing she says is ever clear, and she laughs to herself!

rumpled said:
This woman who's mine now. She's a cow. Revision time! "Sorry class, you'll have to figure this out on your own, I don't know how to do it." Nothing she says is ever clear, and she laughs to herself!

haha thats hilarious would she grade you on that stuff too? i mean if she cant do it how can she penalize you for not being able to?

My Art in Society prof right now. It took her the whole hour to try to explain and get the class started on our first test. Her method failed, and she ended up dictating the questions out of her ass instead.

I seriously think she's senile or something. If you heard her pronounce words and where her emphasizes fall, you would as well.

I'll try and sneak a video recorder in next time.

See the pictures thread and observe how I am almost passed out as this fucking guy goes on and on about bullshit.

Hey, teacher! Leave those kids alone!

My old Organic Chem prof is a GENIUS! Hands down, the smartest man I've ever met. But he would teach to the 2 "above average" students instead of the entire class. If it wasn't for the mega-curve at the end of the year, all but 2 or 3 students would've failed that class. But then there was the funny, quirky things about him. He is SO proper that anytime he'd drop the chalk or throw the eraser by mistake, he'd throw his hands above his head and let out a little yelp and get confused because he lost his train of thought. And if you could ever find him in his office, he was always too busy eating pretzels and oranges to deal with a student's problem. And he would wear shiny royal purple dress shirts with "old man blue pants," y'know, the powder blue kind? And his chalk would always seem to match whatever outfit he wore on any given day.

Then I had the Biology professor who loved plants more than people. Seriously.

Then there's the random 70-year old Philosophy prof., born and raised in Germany, who rambles on about nothing. I think I learned more about Western European history than I did about the philosophy of religion. One of his better quotes, when talking about his relationships with various US Presidents (complete with a HEAVY accent): "Oh, I slept in Richard Nixon's bed, but not with him, ha ha ha!"

I could go on all night, but I'll spare you all. They may not be the most incompetent, but they were all basically a huge wate of time AND money;)

I don't think there are many incompetent profs out there, but there are many profs that are chillz and let students get away with a lot of things. I have one of those profs this semester and I'm so glad I do cause I'm having a mid-life crisis and school is basically secondary.

subopm420 said:
haha thats hilarious would she grade you on that stuff too? i mean if she cant do it how can she penalize you for not being able to?

I have no fucking idea. She once plagiarized exam questions. I just sat for her final and it was a mess. Any more mention of her and I'm going to burst, which is not good, because I'm supposed to be going cold turkey this period.. :X
God I swear she cackles like a witch.

I've been lucky and had very competent professors in college. Hell for the most part, I've loved every single professor to death, theyve been awesome!

But in high school... thats a whole nother story! I once had a new teacher come into our math class and was pissed that none of us had math books (the district was too poor to give us any) and he said we were in high school now and we should bring our books to class (ignoring the fact that we said we never had any books) and when we finally got a shipment of books in class they were to be used in class only. He would assign us homework from the book and we kept saying we couldnt take the books home, and he said "Dont be lazy! they arent that heavy you can bring them home!" He never listened to us for shit!

In high school I had a teacher who was taking an econ class from the community college and then rewriting what he learned and teaching it as my econ teacher. He admitted that 4 years later when I saw him wasted at the bar while back on Spring Break. My spring break that it.