• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Morning (sober) rituals

lucifersam666

Bluelight Crew
hey to all,
I have been 100% sober for about 4 days, and my mentality is starting to disintegrate. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, So I was looking around online for ways to stay hyped/positive. I stumbled upon a few methods that I am going to try, but I was just wondering if any of you have morning rituals that do not consist of drug use. Maybe like some mind games to trick the mind into staying focused or yoga, etc.? What is your morning ritual?
Thanks,
LS

I don't necessarily am able to do it every day, but I love starting the day by waking up at or just before 5am.

I'll have some coffee and some cereal or a banana or something, smoke part of a cigarette, drink some water and while it's still dark out (around 5:30-45am) I'll turn all the lights off so it's totally dark, light a candle and meditate silently closed eye (usually metta-vipassana) for about 50 minutes. It's really quite spectacular once your eyes adjust and you can "watch" the candle flame through closed eyelids. When the meditation ends around 6:20-30am the sun has just begun poking it's light into the no longer dark room.

Sometimes I just lay in bed proper up on pillows or flat with an arm raised in the air at the elbow if I'm tired if that feels right and meditate for 30 minutes. Or I'll sit for 45 minutes later in the morning. It all depends on the mood and what's going on. But getting up super early and meditating closed eye to the candle flame (you're not meditating on the flame per se, it's more just an interesting, cool stimuli to practice with - you're still primarily anchored in breath and body) and opening your eyes to a freshly lit room is a pretty awesome way to starting the day :)

TBH some days I like to start the day with a short hike and a little cannabis. That's pretty good too sometimes. Actually starting the day with a walk or hike is an awesome way to start the day period.

Getting up super early, between 4-5am and driving out to the highest or most scenic viewpoint around to watch the sunrise with coffee. Then going out and getting a little food on the way home.

Getting up and biking to the donut shop is also fun, although it depends on the donut shop. Cafes, coffee shops and other restaurants are also good destinations.

Spending time by a large body of water in the early morning can be pretty damn nice too.

Making something special for yourself in the morning like crepes or whatever you like can be good, although it depends on the day.

Waking up and making love can be either an awesome or shitty way to wake up depending.

Trying to see if you can remember whether you were inhaling or exhaling when you first opened your eyes in the morning is an interesting game.

I'm sure there's more. Some people like to start their day by going to the gym, for instance. Like you said, there is yoga, tai chi and qigong. Or spending some time writing.

Oh and how could I forget! Starting the day with a regular bowel movement has made my life a lot easier. Sometimes the whole opioid tolerance things was literally a PITA.

Hell yeah TPD. Today I woke up, drank 2 cups of coffee which induced a nice morning shit, drank some Kefir (no appetite) and took my dog on a 2 mile walk. While that was nice n I feel better but also tired, I still have to go into work at 4:30. meh.. I will dose nicely with kratom before hand though, roughly around 6 grams. That'll help with smiling and acting enjoyable. I think i'll try meditation tomorrow. I really enjoy hiking and scenic views by the lake (lake travis), but i am straight up city livin, with concrete walls. That'd be perfect for a nice day off. honestly, I will probably just get some methadones lol but we'll see how tomorrow plays out. Life is crazy but for now i'm just taking it day by day. slowly gonna win. Thanks TPD

Definitely keep up the walking in nature. That has been empirically shown to be restorative. I imagine kratom will be a nice part of your morning. Not necessarily the best long term habit, but nothing wrong with it right now. I'd suggest taking it after you meditate (meditating on opioids or opioid like stuff can be distracting as hell unless the dose is just right).

honestly thank you man. it's weird how little things like this have such an impact. I love bluelight for this, and i value the feedback/advice i receive! Kratom has been a nice part of my chaotic routine, almost the best part lol. and nature is definitely the best remedy. I am so drunk right now about to chug some water n eat a sammich. probably gonna dream about opiates and wake up sad agaiN.. oh well...

I hope you had fun last night! I never could stand drinking while I was detoxing or in withdrawal. Things got much easier when I just realized how much less uncomfortable it was simply avoiding alcohol for a while until my body got more straightened out.

Before I climb out of bed each day I take a very informal inventory of what's on the agenda and how I'm feeling about it. If I notice dread or feeling overwhelmed I try to do think about why and how I can make things easier on myself. Like I say, it's all very informal. But I find that it does help, especially on those days I'm dreading.

And of course there's always a nice dog walk.

I think that counts, although it might depend on what kind of news medium you consume ;)

The time I wake up depends on if I have my daughter (weekends when I dont I sleep in - yay 7 am haha) but if I do I like to get up for 3, do yoga then meditation and a nice breakfast before getting to some school work and chores before waking my daughter up (however that doesnt always happen, but after skipping it for a bit I realized just how benefitial it was for me)... Then I try to do some healthful things (yoga meditation exercise or diary) with my daughter before school but that doesnt always work out either - especially lately haha. Then after shes on the bus Ill go for a run followed by exercise (strength or yoga) then Im finally ready to start my day. Thank goodness I dont have a job (just school).

Before I climb out of bed each day I take a very informal inventory of what's on the agenda and how I'm feeling about it. If I notice dread or feeling overwhelmed I try to do think about why and how I can make things easier on myself. Like I say, it's all very informal. But I find that it does help, especially on those days I'm dreading.

Yea this helps out. Kinda like pregaming for the day, making a mental check list to take over the world. lol

During the weekdays this is my morning schedule:

6:00 am - wakeup, immediately take a dump
6:30 am - eat breakfast while watching TV (eggs, toast or banana, multi vit, fish oil)
7:00 am - arrive at gym
8:00 am - leave gym, drink protein/creatine shake
8:15 am - shower, shave, make Kratom shake
8:30 am - walk to work

wake up and listen to music and then shower while still listening to music.....music really helps put me in a good mood.

Wake up.. Hit snooze hit snooze hit snooze.. Monster, yogurt, dip, multi vite fish oil vit D, monster, dress.. Head to grab doughnuts, coffee, music, check email etc.. Drop in on BL, coffee, shower, head to work or gym.

Would you please share this recipe?
It's not really a shake, more like it's in a shaker bottle. I use one of those bottles with the coiled up metal ball which mixes the Kratom really well in water. Also, drinking out of it minimizes the smell which in turn makes it taste a little better.

Now that is kinda ingenious! It does sound more effective than stirring with a spoon. I used to just shake it up in a plastic or metal water bottle, but without the wire ball thing. Even shaking it often got clumpy and gross, so I can see how the ball would help.