• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Mono and what to expect?

BlueBull

Moderator: MDMA
I don't know if this is the right place for a thread like this but couldn't find a better fitting one.

So I've just been diagnosed with mono, 28yo male. I started an inexplicable feverstarting 2 weeks ago, which in the beginning was just a bit annoying day 4-5 started rising really high in the evenings, like bed soaking wet high. By that point I had already gone to the doctor, who told me my infected throat was causing the fever, gave me antibiotics, put me on medical leave for a week and sent me home (lol). Fast forward a week to monday, emergency at work and medical leave is over anyways so very sick and not eaten in 4 days I drive to work, get some necessary equipment, drive to a client and start fixing the situation there. I was sitting at a computer and next thing I know I wake up slouched in the chair, fainted. Happened again a minute after that. This is when I looked out the window and saw a hospital so I thought what the heck and drove myself into emergency. Apparently had a 41°C fever (105,8°F) and a blood test diagnosed me with mono

That was 2 days ago. Now I'm at home reading stories about this virus. My fever has dropped a good part, it's around 38.1°C/100,6°F now. Throat is a little less sore but not much. I have a few questions and would be very grateful if someone could share their experience

1) I know this can take months worst case scenario, but what happens in most of the cases? Is it realistic to hope a month max and apart from some exhaustion it's gone?
2) Can I at least expect the swelling in my throat to go down soon so I can eat solid food? Only things I've eaten, which was extremely painful as well, were those liquid meals you can get in the pharmacy. Swelling started about a week ago, a week after the fever
3) Is it true that any exertion can cause recovery to lengthen substantially?
4) Any other pieces of advice, insights, experiences,.... you might have I would be very interested in hearing

Thanks in advance bluelight!

Everyone differs, but most recover within a month. I recovered faster and the lethargy went quickly. My brother's lasted a little longer, including the lethargy, and he had a few mild recurrences years later. Just rest, try to eat as best you can, and you'll probably recover more quickly than if you push on while still unwell.

I had it the first time in high school and was out three anf a half weeks on antibiotics, corticosteroids, a brief hospitalization and then bedrest. I thought it was tonsillitis or the flu and it took me nearly fainting during a concert to go to the hospital and get diagnosed. The main concern once the sore throat/tonsilitis/neck pain goes away is how easily you can damage your spleen. There was actually a small epidemic of it at school and several of us were out together. My doc gave me maguc mouthwash to gargle with until my tonsils went down. It numbed my throat so i could drink boost, have popsicles, and stay hydrated. I had to take it easy still when even when I went back to school for two weeks. One of the students insisted on not missing more than two-three days because of a big game she didnt want to miss, of course she ended up rupturing her spleen during cheerleading practice. It's recurred a few times over the years, but hasn't lasted or been as bad as the first time.