• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Models that incorporate unity

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
The statement "We are one" has been a source of contention for millennia. It is one of the most powerful understandings and experiences available to humanity, yet when used as an end all to rational discussion it can be an obnoxious statement. That doesn't absolve the reductionist though. If every time a chemist trying to make a molecule started thinking like a particle physicist and reasoning in terms of subatomic particles, that chemist would never accomplish much. We all know this, yet how stable is that understanding in our mind when addressing the nature of reality? How do we bridge this seeming gap? Hierarchies provided useful intermediate steps for bridging the most reductionistic of models with the most absolute of truths, yet still, unity is a concept that transcends hierarchy and can never be truly bridged by a bottom-up approach.

I hope that sets the stage towards a useful discussion that allows us to share ideas and models that integrate unity with the apparent paradox of separation in a meaningful way. If you think unity is a ridiculous concept, that doesn't exclude you from the conversation but it does place an extra burden towards contributing meaningfully since I've kinda framed it into the discussion.

I'd like to start this discussion by introducing the holonic model as an attempt to bridge this gap. First proposed by Arthur Koestler and championed by Ken Wilber but with special mention to a variant of the holonic model discussed in the Seth Material as channeled by Jane Roberts. The holon represents a fundamental unit of separateness which can't be subdivided without losing it's identity (dominant monad) but is simultaneously one with all. It's often described as a part-whole. How can something be simultaneously separate and the totality of all existence you ask? Well, love it or hate it, quantum mechanics is full of such paradoxes. Is it a particle or a wave? Well, it's more accurate to say it's a superposition of both. The scope of what a holon is does not have to be limited to purely physical reality, though it can be if your understanding precludes other dimensions of existence. In a purely physical description of reality we might start from a sub-atomic particle of some type. Ok, so in that context a holon is a particle that bridges the most reductionistic of models with the totality of existence. To build up everything in between we introduce the holarchies — hierarchies of holons. Whether discussing physical, chemical, biological or social systems each represent a node in a hierarchy that is itself a part-whole.

Here's a more detailed overview:
http://www.integralworld.net/edwards13.html

Well, that's one model. I'm sure there are many different ones. I will raise one final question. Why does our brain seem to highlight the separateness over wholeness? Well, I posit it is wired to do both. I don't have much in terms of proof, but will point out some interesting work coming out of Jeffery Martins lab using EEG's to study the brain of enlightened individuals. Seems this elusive state of enlightenment causes our brains to rewire differently. The research is preliminary but he's undertaken a massive study with 1000's of EEG's from individuals claiming higher states of consciousness. Should be interesting to see what comes out of that

Last edited by a moderator:
I can sense that we're all one underneath, or the God-spark is the same, but the point of this world is kind of to put up an artificial divide and see what we will do. Although that doesn't mean it doesn't feel completely real in this world. In some cases, it can be so real the underlying unity doesn't really matter.

One of the things drugs are used for, at first alcohol, is to level the differences and separation and connect with that reality for a while. Someone who don't normally like each other can get along when drunk, etc.