⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Mob City (L.A Noir)

bit_pattern

Ex-Bluelighter
Holy shit!

Anyone else seen this yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mob_City

It's based on a book that documented stories from LAPD cops in the 1940s and the machinations of the Bugsy Seigel and Micky Cohen gang - it's all shot as a neo-noir classic, a beautifully sumptuous aesthetic. Can't rate it highly enough.

My only gripe: 6 episodes. Why make something so goddamn good so goddam short? :!

^Especially when it's on TNT, which has quite the dearth of quality programming.
I haven't watched it yet, but I definitely mean to. Frank Darabount and Shane from TWD. Would have a hard time believing it's anything but really good.
Imma see if I can catch it this weekend.

It kind of under-delivered. Jon Bernthal is too limited an actor to serve as protagonist. The dialogue is also a bit stilted.

It does pick up towards the end though.

I assume there'll be a second season. They left a lot of questions open.

TV in the US was generally pretty shitty in late 2013. I want shows that will catalyze the populace into upheaval, but most of what I see is formulaic fluff.

It kind of under-delivered. Jon Bernthal is too limited an actor to serve as protagonist. The dialogue is also a bit stilted.

It does pick up towards the end though.

I assume there'll be a second season. They left a lot of questions open.

TV in the US was generally pretty shitty in late 2013. I want shows that will catalyze the populace into upheaval, but most of what I see is formulaic fluff.

1. Agree on the criticisms, though for me the pitch perfect neo-noir delivery more than made up for it. Though, I tended to feel that in a way the stiltedness and slight cheesiness kind of add to the whole experience, in the same shows like Justified play up the trashy, pulp-fiction side of its script to great effect. I kind of saw it as recreating the stilted style of 1940s noir genre - but maybe I was just making excuses because I loved the cinematography :p

2. Yes, season two is on the cards - that's actually how I found it, I was looking for series' being released in 2014 and the list I found referred to season 2.