• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Mixing alcohol with prescription medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue comet

Bluelighter
I have two questions regarding drinking alcohol and taking prescription medications at the same time. The prescription medicines I'm curious about are benzodiazepines, opiates, SSRIs/SNRIs, etc.

1) what is the major risk about combing booze and pills? Is it the respiratory slowdown that it can cause? What would be the most dangerous thing about this mix?

2) is there any long term issues that can arise from doing this?

Yes CNS depression is the main cause for concern. Seconded by increased inhibition.
Besides physical and psychological dependenies and the inevitable wd symptoms they procure, organ damage/failure is the largest long term risk. Followed by imbalanced brain chemistry.

All in all, not a good idea to combine alcohol with prescription medication, or any other cns depressant for that matter.

Yes CNS depression is the main cause for concern. Seconded by increased inhibition.
Besides physical and psychological dependenies and the inevitable wd symptoms they procure, organ damage/failure is the largest long term risk. Followed by imbalanced brain chemistry.

All in all, not a good idea to combine alcohol with prescription medication, or any other cns depressant for that matter.

This
Increased respiratory depression is the biggest risk and it's impossible to give dosage advice, as everyone reacts different and some people might get high, while other people taking the same dosage die. Just visit The Shrine, I think most people there died due to the combination of CNS depressants, mainly alcohol, opioids and benzos
The second risk is decreased inhibition and a black out. Benzos alone are tricky as they tend to fuck you up without you noticing, you could have a black out, while still thinking that you're pretty much sober. throw in some alcohol and you won't remember shit the next day. This can lead to you waking up in a drunk tank or even worse things.
Third, combining benzos and alcohol will fuck up your GABA receptors even more

If I remember correctly you had problems with gabapentine and benzos I think ? If so taking benzos and/or alcohol again will make your symptoms worse

Don't do it, it's not worth it

The reason I asked is because I am currently taking tramadol to treat the symptoms I have from whatever gabapentin did to me (whether permanent damage or severe protracted withdrawal).

It seems to work well but I am currently looking for another opiate to be on long term due to concerns I have about tramadol. But the reason I asked this is that I am finally able to tolerate alcohol again now that I am on tramadol (tramadol controls my nerve pain which alcohol has worsened in the past). So I wanted to know what kind of risks I faced from consuming a few beers.

As for the benzos and alcohol, I guess I was just curious. I have no plan at the moment to start benzo a again.

Sedation of the Central Nervous System is the primary problem with combining depressants. The main issue that usually arises from this "slowing" of the CNS is respiratory depression, which kills through hypoxia. In conservative doses, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Combinations of CNS depressants are often prescribed and in the hands of a trained anesthesiologist, various combinations of Opioids, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines and Volatile Gases are combined to completely numb the body's senses.

So yes, they can be used together, if done so with a certain degree of responsibility. When used compulsively or addictively, it becomes much easier to make mistakes and overdose yourself. One scenario might include someone with limited tolerance taking 5mg of Oxycodone with their nightly dose of say, 1mg of Alprazolam or equivalent. Another scenario might include a Heroin addict, using anywhere from 5 - 20 points/bags per day depending upon ability, haphazardly consuming Xanax bars throughout the day to help them get more mileage out of their limited Opioid supply. The second scenario, as you can probably ascertain, is going to be significantly riskier than the first.

I'm just giving you these situation to illustrate the difference between "responsible" use of these combinations as well as the more reckless. As with everything in life, moderation is the key.

As far as Alcohol is concerned; it's a poison. It's inherently toxic to the body and is destructive to just about every organ or system necessary for life. So, if you're looking to improve your quality of life from the ground up, Alcohol should be excluded. Aside from the well known physical drawbacks of Alcohol consumption, there are a myriad of psychological issues that accompany its use. Depression, anxiogenesis, confusion etc. are all possible sypmtoms of Alcohol abuse.

So, when someone decides that they're going to attempt to improve their overall mood with an SSRI or similar antidepressant, it must be taken into account that Alcohol, which we know to affect all of the body's systems negatively, will almost certainly interfere with the potential benefits of SSRI therapy. To experience and actually notice the subtle effects of an SSRI, one would probably want to start from a point of relative homeostasis i.e. not dependent on drugs, not introducing new drugs into the body etc.

If your body is constantly in a state of flux from Alcohol use, it's unlikely that you'll be receiving the full benefit from your antidepressant. I'm not saying that antidepressant therapy is going to be completely useless to Alcohol users, but iuf you're really looking to make positive changes for yourself, from a logical standpoint, Alcohol should be excluded. There are other recreational experiences which are much safer/healthier and more rewarding anyway. Also, I've already alluded to this, but chronic Alcohol use invariably leads to depression and anxiety.

Just a few things to think about. I'm in no way preaching to you OP, just giving you my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.