• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Miserable in Milwaukee

marsnd

Bluelighter
Anyone do meetings in the area. Need ideas for a rehab in the area, someone might have better info then swim sees on their websites .

What is your drug of choice, how long have you used, what is your age...? If you give us more information we can help you find what you need a little easier.

I'm 36, male, that lives outside of Milwaukee. I was addicted like many other to pain pills after an accident. Won the super cash, and then my addiction took off. Relapse after relapse. Until I found suboxone. I still struggle with addiction. Benzos in particular. I don't smoke, drink, or use or sell anything. I just take my subs, twice a day. My benzos for anxiety, and sleep. However I did abuse the benzos, and have used suboxone for a crutch too long as well. Not sure what the next step in my life is. Work is great, 4 pets, amazing wife, and the best family a guy could ask for. I had 2 years of clean time, around 12 years ago. Other then that, I don't remember when I had control last time.

so you want to get off the suboxone? why do that if it keeps you clean? Ive been on subs for 4 years now and I absolutely love being on them, without them id be dead for sure... i wouldn't recommend trying to get off subs UNLESS you are absolutely 100% done with wanting to get high.

^^^^^
excellent question. If you aren't having complications, why do you want to get off Subs? Would gradually tapering your dose help?

If something is helping you achieve a standard of living that you are comfortable with, then why change it?

I think your problem is you are not working on the soul sickness aspect of addiction. You may need to do some talk therapy. Getting to the root of why you use, and why after you have experienced negative consequences you continued is extremely important to understanding oneself and healing.

Abstinence is not sobriety. Abstinence is just not using. Sobriety is a state of mind in which you can accept/ participate in life.

Suboxone may be what keeps you sober.

Marsnd, I'm about an hour north of you and will be doing a 30 day treatment out in Madison. If you're interested on what I think of it when I get back, send me a PM and I'll let you know.

I would love to connect with you and here about your experience. Why get off the "Subs", seems to be the main question directed towards me. I'm not sure how much longer my doctor will be active, he close to retirement. Not only that, it's a little usual for an addict to be on Suboxone for over a decade, like me. I'm sure there's many of you that are, but my state doesn't offer long term treatment type doctors. I concur, they have helped me from rock bottom, to achieving a purpose, career, and belief system. I didn't know that there was many people on suboxone, for as long as I have. I do as agree, it might lead back to a dangerous path, once off them. Especially because of all the surgeries I've had since college /sports.

If something is helping you achieve a standard of living that you are comfortable with, then why change it?

I think your problem is you are not working on the soul sickness aspect of addiction. You may need to do some talk therapy. Getting to the root of why you use, and why after you have experienced negative consequences you continued is extremely important to understanding oneself and healing.

Abstinence is not sobriety. Abstinence is just not using. Sobriety is a state of mind in which you can accept/ participate in life.

Suboxone may be what keeps you sober.[or not, who knows, but it is a mother fucking important question you and ONLY YOU can answer, and apparently it's a question you must answer rather soon now I imagine]

I second this advice. But take my advice with a grain of salt, as MMT was much, much more effective for me than treatment with Suboxone and IOP alone. Everyone's different though. Can't know until you try it, but curiosity can kill the kitty at times, so be safe and careful in you doings!

^^true that. Running out at a high dosage would be a recipe for long term intense misery, or relapse.

I am beginning to notice how often I contradict myself at times :)

Any kind of ORT is similar to most other courses of long term medications. It is one of the safer ones in most regards, but it definitely can fuck your socialization up big time. Or provide you with a foundation for change. It's all how you take care of yourself.

Look after yourself, that is what I need to be telling myself right now.

I am beginning to notice how often I contradict myself at times :)

Any kind of ORT is similar to most other courses of long term medications. It is one of the safer ones in most regards, but it definitely can fuck your socialization up big time. Or provide you with a foundation for change. It's all how you take care of yourself.

Look after yourself, that is what I need to be telling myself right now.

This is so true. I couldn't make it on maintenance. I would always end up using.