• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc Mirtazapine

Robomarley1

Bluelighter
Is mirtazapine helpful when you have successfully tapered off clonazepam? I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping.

Thank You.

It should help a bit if the mainly withdrawal is over and you are simply having trouble sleeping

After I tapered off of klonopin the only thing that really worked for me for sleep was about 75mg amitryptiline. It'll probably be different for everyone after benzo withdrawal so you might just have to try different things.

It was a life saver for me when going through Diazepam withdrawal. I actually managed a few hours sleep a night, as opposed to none.

Unfortunately are antihistamines not true sedatives, it's just a side effect of central h1 antagonism and in cases of true insomnia their efficacy is limited. Last time I tried mirtazapine due to substance induced insomnia mirtazapine did exactly nothing. But in lighter cases it does work.

Mirtazapine actually knocked me out for the first couple of months that I took it (and I had a very high tolerance to benzos), but I quickly developed a tolerance and now it only works on my depression.

If you have successfully tapered down to nothing it means your withdrawal is gone.

Mirtazapine gets it sedative effects primarily (or only) from antagonizing histamine. It actually is the strongest anti-histamine known to man.

This means it might actually work for you. Keep in mind that more mirtazapine will not equal a more sedating effect. At low doses (up to about 15 mg per night) it functions as a pure anti-histamine.

If you take more than that, it will first (~30 mg) have serotonergic effects and at higher doses (45+) it will also affect norepinephrine, and actually be somewhat stimulating.