• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Mild serotonin syndrome or meth induced psychosis??

WishfulThinkin

Bluelighter
Wednesday morning (I pulled an all nighter so I was just heading to bed) , I took my normal dose of Seroquel (50mg) to sleep. I went ahead and took my antidepressant Lexapro (30mg) for the day as well. I was having trouble sleeping because my neck and back were hurting due to my being in a car accident last week so I took a muscle relaxer Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine/5mg) that was given to me by a neighbor after the accident. When I woke up that afternoon, I was still sore so I took another Flexeril. Then I started doing lines of meth — it’s my drug of choice and I normally just do small lines throughout the day. Sometimes I’ll use the pipe but I couldn’t find it that day.

I don’t know when exactly my symptoms began but I remember my boyfriend was asking me to help him with something online and I was getting super agitated, like over the smallest stuff. When I was using the computer I noticed my hands and fingers were super shaky. I just couldn’t focus on anything well enough to finish. My anxiety was extremely high. I called my mom and talked to her a little which distracted me a little but when we were done, I started feeling worse.

It was like the strangest sensation of feeling too restless to sit still but my muscles were so stiff and rigid that I didn’t want to move. I had this horrible mental fog. Normally I would’ve gotten up and began cleaning and getting myself together but that day I just kinda sat around feeling weird.

Eventually I got around to doing some laundry and as I head to the laundry room, I walk past a guy getting off the elevator. He made what I thought was a weird face and suddenly I began panicking and wondering why he made that face. Did I smell bad or something? I’m went to the laundry room and started sniffing myself trying to make sure I didn’t but I couldn’t tell. So I go back to my apartment but once I’m in the hallway, I started thinking I smelled something out there too.

From there on out, I was fully convinced that I was smelling bad due to my meth use. But I also was aware that I had been through this feeling before after several days of no sleep (stimulant induced psychosis). In my mind, it couldn’t have been that because even though I didn’t go to bed until that morning, I slept a good 6-7 hours.

Paranoia began setting in and I was convinced that I could hear all of the conversations in the next apartment (my boyfriend’s friend’s apartment). I thought I heard everyone talking to my boyfriend telling them that I was stinky and disgusting and how he needed to let me know. At this point, I felt like I had this strong odor and that it was somehow permeating through the whole building. Anytime I heard something in the hallway, I “heard” people saying how bad it smelled out there.

When my boyfriend came back, I thought he was acting weird. I thought he was avoiding me and didn’t want to be near me. He saw that I was under distress so he asked what was wrong and if I’d like to go out or something. I was convinced that he did indeed think I was disgusting and I was angry that he’d even suggest that! When he lit his cigarette, I thought it was attempt to mask my odor. I just didn’t understand why he wouldn’t tell me I was smelly. When he left again, I ran a bath but i was so distracted that the tub nearly overflowed. I scrubbed and scrubbed but I could still hear people talking about me. I tried to call my boyfriend and even though he told me he had gone to the store, I still felt like I heard his friends talking to him about me.

At that point, I said fuck it and I just texted him asking if I had been smelling bad and if he smelled a “meth-y, nasty, chemical smell”. He said no. So I told him that if I ever did, he needed to let me know because I was self conscious. He said I was overreacting and that I needed to make myself a drink.

I knew my boyfriend wouldn’t lie to me so i felt a little better after that. I didn’t think I had the odor anymore but I still had the stiff sore muscles and I was still in a mental fog. I would keep forgetting to get the clothes out of the washer and dryer. I wouldn’t be able to remember if I had clothes down there or not. I was still shaky and nervous, yet also physically tense and just distracted. It took me all night just to do a few loads. I checked my temperature and it had gotten up to 99.5F but I attributed it to the meth. I’d go from feeling hot to feeling cold throughout the evening.

Once I ate and had my drink, I felt a lot better. I had a friend come over and she mentioned how nice it smelled in my room and how she could tell I had been cleaning. After that, I just continued my night as normal....lines of meth here and there, smoked a blunt with my boyfriend, ate some more, then we went to bed. He told me how cold my legs felt against him in bed.

The next day (yesterday), I felt fine with the exception of all of the muscles in legs, back, arms, neck, etc being sore from being so tense the previous day. I did my normal amount of meth as well as took my prescribed medicines when I was supposed to. Didn’t touch the Flexeril though. I actually think I tossed the rest I had out.

So now I’m wondering what happened. Once I looked at my symptoms, I thought it may have been SS. However I know it also could’ve been stimulant induced psychosis. But the fact that I had gotten sleep and still felt so shitty puzzled me.

Any thoughts? And sorry for the long read. This was just such a weird experience!

Not sure what happened but it doesn't sound like serotonin syndrome to me.

The car accident could be triggering/exacerbating some of your symptoms (incluiding the psychological ones). For instance, it's not uncommon to experience a lot of anxiety after a traumatic event.

The following does sound like psychosis though... If you've had it before you're likely to have it again.
From there on out, I was fully convinced that I was smelling bad due to my meth use. But I also was aware that I had been through this feeling before after several days of no sleep (stimulant induced psychosis). In my mind, it couldn’t have been that because even though I didn’t go to bed until that morning, I slept a good 6-7 hours...

Paranoia began setting in and I was convinced that I could hear all of the conversations in the next apartment (my boyfriend’s friend’s apartment)... “heard” people saying how bad it smelled out there.

... I scrubbed and scrubbed but I could still hear people talking about me. I tried to call my boyfriend and even though he told me he had gone to the store, I still felt like I heard his friends talking to him about me...

Oh and just in case, if your muscle pain is accompanied by dark urine and general weakness you may want to get checked out, just to make sure it's not rhabdomyolysis.

Cyclobenzaprine is horrible when combined with pretty much any other drug. I'd recommend not taking it when you are getting high etc

I always heard voices of people talking specifically about me from other rooms of the house or behind my back. I stopped doing meth for over a year now and those voices have stopped. I was prescribed anti-psychotics for a short term to help stop the voices.

Last edited:
Hearing in thé wind is quite normal Often, people know what you may expérience just by ressenti and it's explainable that maybe you are just very active thinker while you sleep (not while you Dream but unconsciously).lots of people may expérience what we call résonnance in suisse-allemand. It's suite impressive if you are very cultivated because it is fascinating to listen to people who know a lot and are very bright.

... ... . .. .. ... .. . .... .. . ... ... .. ..... ... ... ... .. . ... ... . ... .. . .. . . .... . . .. .c.c...c.c.