• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

methodone is the best way to got off of opiates

mustangcobra401

Greenlighter
i tried so hard to get clean through subs even taking a week vacation time at work i waited 42 hours took the subs went into precipitated withdrawl every single time i took subs. i couldnt wait any longer the pain hurt so bad couldnt even sit still with restless legs and the horrible symptoms . i tried using subs multiple times couldnt not go into withdrawl using them. i went to a methadone clinic started at 70 mg started coming off them after the first week going down 2 mg a week which took around 7 months to go to 0mg . no bad side affects at all no going into withdrawl taking the methadone and when i got to 0 mg had zero side affects no anxiety after getting off no post withdrawl symptoms . i know tons of people who are heavy users that cant take subs because of the long wait to use them. its a useless drug unless you are using a small amount .

If it took 70mg of methadone to cover your habit then most likely you weren't going in to precipitated withdrawal it's just that the ceiling dose of bupe wasn't enough to cover your using. In my country most drug services won't allow you to switch from methadone to bupe until you get down to 30mg methadone because it's believed that the ceiling dose of bupe won't cover more than that.

So yes if your habit is of a certain size then it's not going to help, but below that I would always recommend people go for bupe over methadone personally. You seem to have been pretty lucky with your meth detox, most people don't find it that easy and from my experience tend to find the bupe detox much easier than methadone. It's also harder to use on top of bupe which is a good thing. Really I would encourage people to avoid methadone unless it's absolutely necessary, for me the detox was way worse from methadone than it was from bupe.

This just goes to show how subjective something like choice of medication is though.

So im trying to get off methadone, im having about 30 mg every 24 hours but i dont know how to slowly stop taking it without feeling shivers and whatnot... besides it tastes horrible

You need to be stable on a dose (i.e. EXACTLY 30mg daily, not 'about') and then start a tapering process where you reduce your dose slowly. A normal schedule would be to come down by maybe 2mg a week as in the OP, you can make bigger jumps if the dose is higher. The nature of a taper is that you're always going to be a little bit short of complete comfort, for me the last few hours of each 24 hour period were always a bit rough, that basically means I would wake up feeling some mild withdrawal every day.

Methadone is a great way to get off heroin because you stay high all the damn time lol. You don't have to give anything up....of course its the easiest.

But If it works and helps, then it works and helps. (y)

edit: Imo The biggest ally you had was actually following your dosing schedule and completleting the program. Good on you!

If it took 70mg of methadone to cover your habit then most likely you weren't going in to precipitated withdrawal it's just that the ceiling dose of bupe wasn't enough to cover your using. In my country most drug services won't allow you to switch from methadone to bupe until you get down to 30mg methadone because it's believed that the ceiling dose of bupe won't cover more than that.

So yes if your habit is of a certain size then it's not going to help, but below that I would always recommend people go for bupe over methadone personally. You seem to have been pretty lucky with your meth detox, most people don't find it that easy and from my experience tend to find the bupe detox much easier than methadone. It's also harder to use on top of bupe which is a good thing. Really I would encourage people to avoid methadone unless it's absolutely necessary, for me the detox was way worse from methadone than it was from bupe.

This just goes to show how subjective something like choice of medication is though.
i def was going into precipitated withdrawl i took narcan before its the same feeling when i took the subs. its hard waiting two days before taking subs . my body felt horrible . before i took the methadone i did cut down on usage rate two weeks before i cut down to doing 2 bags every 12 hours . then started at 30 mg of methadone and went up 10 mg until at 70 mg. with methadone there is no wait time i can use and right away use methadone . i used subs at a 30 day inpatient rehab and it was hell coming off of subs the doctor gave me a sub 4 hours after i just used , that was before i knew you had to wait to take subs. i went into pre withdrawl , even after i tampered down off of subs for 3 days i was so sick couldnt sit still and had bad anxiety . with the methadone i had zero side affects while on the methadone and zero when i came off . with the methadone i was able to slowly come down at a rate of 2mg a week instead of at rehab detoxing in 2 weeks . methadone saved my life subs ruined my life made me relapse due to the feeling after coming off of them. i was just warning people who have the same trouble waiting to take subs to show them methadone is a good way if you cant wait the 2 days to use subs.

Methadone is a great way to get off heroin because you stay high all the damn time lol. You don't have to give anything up....of course its the easiest.

But If it works and helps, then it works and helps. (y)

edit: Imo The biggest ally you had was actually following your dosing schedule and completleting the program. Good on you!
thats what i like about methadone . with subs the doctor will just give you a 30 day script and most people sell them and use dope with them . with methadone you have to go there every day before work to dose so you have to take it in front of them. they also drug test you to make sure your not still using and will kick you out if you keep failing drug tests . the structure is what saved my life . had i just been handed a bottle of methadone i prob would continue to get high and just use the methadone to stop withdrawls .

True that man. It wasn't for me where I live but were glad it massively helped! Its easier to keep going when you notice the positive things in your life, that you could lose if you give the program up. Stack those positives up!

thats what i like about methadone . with subs the doctor will just give you a 30 day script and most people sell them and use dope with them . with methadone you have to go there every day before work to dose so you have to take it in front of them. they also drug test you to make sure your not still using and will kick you out if you keep failing drug tests . the structure is what saved my life . had i just been handed a bottle of methadone i prob would continue to get high and just use the methadone to stop withdrawls .

This all depends on where you're getting your methadone.

I've been too a free clinic, and apart from the fact that I failed every drug test for like a year and they never kicked me off, it was just like you said. Monthly random drug tests. No takeaways.

But today I'm on a privately prescribed program. I just go into a pharmacy to get me dose for 3 days, then get 4 take aways for the next 4 days. Haven't been drug tested once in the two years I've been doing it.

Frankly I did a lot better privately than on the public program. The public program refused to ever put me up on the methadone fast enough so I kept getting sick so I kept needing heroin so I had to get money for heroin. So that caused me to miss my dose and caused my methadone to never get increased.

But hey, what's important is the results. I'm glad it worked for you. :)

Anyone know if it's true that you can have your arm or leg amputated if you nod out in a bad position and cut off blood to your arm or leg for more than 6 hours you know when you have sat on it for a few to many minutes and it goes numb for a few mins if you nodded out and sat on it for hours can it really cause that much damage??

Anyone know if it's true that you can have your arm or leg amputated if you nod out in a bad position and cut off blood to your arm or leg for more than 6 hours you know when you have sat on it for a few to many minutes and it goes numb for a few mins if you nodded out and sat on it for hours can it really cause that much damage??

Well I've definitely also heard the rumor that it can happen. I've never actually heard of it happening in real life or read a definitive account of it happening.

I dunno, it doesn't seem all that likely to me. I mean you can definitely pass out on the nod, and opioids can definitely mask discomfort.

But still, it seems hard to believe you could be putting so much pressure on it and be asleep for so long as to cause so much damage as to need to amputate.

I've woken up before to find id been lying on my arm wrong and it had lost sensation and I was unable to move it. It was a little freaky. But it went back to normal within 10 minutes of waking up.

EDIT: so I Googled and found the above phenomenon is just from having the nerve compressed while asleep. Blood still flows so your arm isn't gonna die or anything.

So yeah. I dunno but I'm a little skeptical.

I don't know about amputation, but I personally knew and observed a girl that was left with really bad nerve damage from nodding out and leaning all her weight on her arm while twisted in a weird position. She was left with limited motion in her entire arm for months, and even after that it was never back to 100%.

I don't know about amputation, but I personally knew and observed a girl that was left with really bad nerve damage from nodding out and leaning all her weight on her arm while twisted in a weird position. She was left with limited motion in her entire arm for months, and even after that it was never back to 100%.

This happened to me, it's called radial nerve palsy. My hand was paralysed for about 3 months afterwards and I had literally just about given up hope of ever getting the movement back when it begun to get better. Back to completely normal now which is lucky.

I know a very unfortunate boy who nodded out with his arm tied the first time he tried dope, now years after he has very limited movement on that arm and honestly i do not doubt that amputation could also happen

I know a very unfortunate boy who nodded out with his arm tied the first time he tried dope, now years after he has very limited movement on that arm and honestly i do not doubt that amputation could also happen

Another reason not to shoot up while a tourniquets still tied.

Sometimes i leave it on because im afraid to lose the vein... why is it bad?

If a tourniquets compressing your arm it'll also be compressing the vein you're shooting into, makes it more likely to damage it.

When I was still using I rarely used a tourniquet at all. And I have small hard to see girl veins. It's doable. Actually I'd say most of the people I knew rarely used a tourniquet either. Not because of this concern, I guess just because at some point it stopped seeming necessary.

I'd also sometimes use a tourniquet to help find a vein by touch to start with, but then I'd remove it and shoot there without it.

If you haven't given it much practice it might be worth trying without a tourniquet, cause you're right it's pretty easy to lose the vein when you release it, even when using some tricks to ensure you don't have to let go of the needle.

But hey, I'm sure a lot of us do a lot of dangerous things to get our drug. I've certainly done a lot of shit way more dangerous than this piles of time.

It's just that if you feel you can get by without doing it, you probably should.

i mean i've gone from absurd amounts of fent dependency to subs many times. surei felt like shit for a week straight when switching but its better than cold turkey, and you end up on a drug that less addicting in the end.

methadone is far more physically addicting than fent or subs, so it just always turned me off for that reason as a maintenance drug. Loved to abuse it though when i could get it.

i mean i've gone from absurd amounts of fent dependency to subs many times. surei felt like shit for a week straight when switching but its better than cold turkey, and you end up on a drug that less addicting in the end.

methadone is far more physically addicting than fent or subs, so it just always turned me off for that reason as a maintenance drug. Loved to abuse it though when i could get it.

Never understood the point of abusing it, i feel nothing with it, all it does to me is make me sweat and heat waves oh and it makes me extremely tired