• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methamphetamines neurotoxicity reduction

miros

Greenlighter
Meth is nice, but there are so many downsides to it.

Methamphetamine / crystal meth is known to be neurotoxic to dopamine neurons. It can increase the risk of Parkinson's disease and there are evidence of neurodegeneration.

Unlike MDMA, even though meth is very popular in the media, very few research has been done on this, so I've had a hard time finding information on neurotoxicity reduction.

Someone here said that a combination of selenium, L-carnitine, melatonin and victamin-C could potentially decrease neurotoxicity a bit.

Does someone else have any other reliable source ?

Also, if I take meth responsibly, that is once every 3-4 months and take the supplements above, can meth be considered safe, or will I still get the neuronal adverse effects on the long term? Or are these adverse effects only associated with drug abuse? Because the molecule itself is also commonly prescribed for treating ADHD and obesity.

It's so hard to materialize the extent at which any of the known neuroprotective supplements could provide in reducing the damage done by meth because the studies are still limited IMO. THC, one of the active cannabinoids in marijuana, has shown to reduce methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity. I've read about ascorbic acid's role in the weakening of meth's neurotoxicity. I feel that would stem from it's role in dealing with the excessive oxidative stress that comes from dopamine overexcitation.

It's not so much the meth that is neurotoxic to dopamine, but it's what it causes that creates a favorable condition for neurological destruction. And dopamine is only a small a part of what's being destroyed. The mere nature of excessive dopamine release eventually degrades the axons that produce serotonin.

There is no such thing really as taking meth responsibly. I used to think the same way, too.

Here is the THC one I read a while back - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4028295/

Last edited:
In addition to above, have a read of threads in the NPD forum. I know we've discussed a variety of potential neuroprotectants before - mostly anti-oxidants or ATP/mitochondrial boosting agents, and there are references in there as well.

As said by grymreefer though, the idea of responsible usage is often an illusion (or delusion) for most people.

Thanks for the insight! I was secretly hoping for a more positive answer though! But I'll be extra careful with this drug

the idea of responsible usage is often an illusion (or delusion) for most people.
Does this only apply to meth, or to other neurotoxic drugs like mdma ?

In addition to above, have a read of threads in the NPD forum. I know we've discussed a variety of potential neuroprotectants before - mostly anti-oxidants or ATP/mitochondrial boosting agents, and there are references in there as well.

As said by grymreefer though, the idea of responsible usage is often an illusion (or delusion) for most people.

What is your definition of responsible usage?