• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadones rep for the nastiest WD. Ive never gone above 5 mg per day.

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
We've all heard how methadone is the hardest WD of any opioid, lasting a month or more sometimes.

These are all stories of people that were dependent in 80 to 200 mg of methadone for long periods of time. Many tapered down to 5 or 10 mg then went cold.turkey and still had it very rough even with the taper.

Would the fact that I never had a dependency greater than 5 mg per day make the kick an easier for me? Most of the time I've even been able to sustain on 1 or 2 mg per day...5mg was just the most dependent I was for short periods.

In summary....would the fact that I never went to a very high dosage, and I was not dependent on any opioid before the methadone, make it easier on me to kick than someone that was on 100mg per day for years? Or am I still fucked?

I also have bupe and norco I can switch to at the end for a few weeks when I get down very low. When I taper I go down to like specs of a pill usually before I go cold turkey. But I've never been on methadone. I've been on this low dose for a year.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Any opioid taken for any period of time on a daily basis, regardless of the milligram dose , will produce WD when we quit taking it. The lower the dose the easier the WD.

Getting off of 5 mgs will be noticeable but not nearly as severe as say...20 milligrams. The longer we take it and the higher we dose will determine how we feel when we cease taking it. You have been on it for a year so your body ( and brain ) will notice that you have quit taking it but you will have a much easier time as you weren't on a high dose.

The biggest mistake with methadone therapy is trying to quit too soon. Then that shit hits you hard.

You have to take it slowly. Once you get down to 1mg/day and maintain on that for a few weeks, you shouldn't have any problems.

However, this has to be combined with the right mindset. If you're not ready to come off, then nothing will help.

The biggest mistake with methadone therapy is trying to quit too soon. Then that shit hits you hard.

You have to take it slowly. Once you get down to 1mg/day and maintain on that for a few weeks, you shouldn't have any problems.

However, this has to be combined with the right mindset. If you're not ready to come off, then nothing will help.
Oh I'm always ready to stop. Fuck this shit. Opioids have been a decade or more of hell for me. I just have chronic pain condition that will subside then reflair and ill start taking the shit again because of the pain.

My dream is to kick and the pain won't come back. Lol. Fuckimg pipe dream I might as well just stay well on 1 mg while not in pain and wait for the next pain episode.

What's the point of going through a full withdrawal if the pain will drag me right back. I just Hate opioids so much now I wanna stop amd just try even though it will likely fail due to pain returning

I had a hardcore friend years ago (RIP) that went on methadone. He had quit alcohol and switched to heroin (and his life got more clear, focused and just a lot better than when he was drinking) and then on methadone. Came off methadone SLOWLY. He was at 75 mgs a day at one point. But went down 2 mgs every few weeks and then stayed on one milligram, .5 and then stopped. This guy was sort of a baby when it came to things like this but he said he did not suffer but a few nights of chills when he stopped his .5 So to me that was a testament to how successful it can be if someone goes slowly and keeps the will to do it.