• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone

Thomas29

Bluelighter
Okay I have avoided Methadone because I do not want to experience the VERY LONG withdrawals it causes. But if I were to use it for one day instead of my usual oxy and hydromorph or heroin would it make a difference if I had to like cold turkey after that one dose would i be feeling withdrawal A LOT longer compared if I did not take it or would it make no difference? Like is the long asss 30 days of Physical Withdrawals from Methadone only happen when you use it for a long time and the doses accumulate. Like would it not be similar to short-acting benzos vs longer-acting ones?

No, taking methadone just one day is not going to effect your withdrawals.. you'd have to stop using whatever you're currently using, start on the methadone and take it for a while for that to happen.

I have noticed that when actively using if you switch to another opioid for a day or two it sometimes changes some of the symptoms to that of the other opioid...

But it won't put you in full blown methadone withdrawal.....and certainly not have the length of a methadone habit CT withdrawal.

no and it might actually help with the withdrawals the following days from the shorter acting opiates because of it staying in your blood for longer.

I mean, the withdrawals from hydromorphone and heroin aren't going to be gone in a day either, opiate withdrawal is a long, drawn out process no matter which one you're using. Except maybe if you're getting a 5-10 minute long duration fentanyl analog, then that might be a little different.

But you would have to take methadone every day for at least a week to build up the kind of levels that would even begin to render a longer than usual withdrawal; might take a month or even longer.

^right, I mean, that's been my personal experience. However, I wanted to clarify, that were someone without a habit to take methadone for a week (and definitely up to a month) they will likely experience some methadone withdrawals, as even after discontinuation, there is still methadone left in the system (technicall this is the same with many drugs, but with methadone, there's ALOT left over in compared to the dose taken the previous day).

So if I have been on methadone for 2 years..say 60 mg a day..what is the best way to ween myself off..any help is welcomed...I should mention I have chronic pain on top of this.