• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone without depndency

Zephyn

Bluelighter
So, I am not thinking of pursuing this right now, but maybe in a year or 3 if I'm still suffering. I have multiple mental illnesses, have been (ab)using drugs for 15 years, but have never been dependent upon anything but nicotine. I've watched others kick methadone in rehab and hope to never be there. Especially because I like to travel and with the way it is in usa, I would only be able to get it from a clinic. But I've got either bipolar or treatment resistant depression mixed with a predisposition towards manic psychosis from stimulants, on top of ocd, anxiety, possible schizoaffective, possible aspergers, etc. I'm just trying to survive. I know bupe would be the better option but it seems to build tolerance so quickly I am sure it would be useless. I KNOW what I'm suggesting is a bad idea and maybe I'm posting for some reminder that it is incase I get this desperate but I'm so miserable and desperate sometimes this seems like a good idea. Would it help with poly drug addiction? Usually when I'm sufficiently high on anything I feel okay,, otherwise I never do.. What about depression and anxiety? In the long term (5-10 years)? I mean, it would treat both depression and any paranoia I have. Do you build a tolerance to these effects? Is this seriously a horrible idea or has it helped some people get their lives together? I've met a few people with treatment resistant diseases like chronic pain that used methadone with success. From the times I've used it I feel perfect on it, how long would this last? Benzos also seem to help in an acute sense, at least with my anxiety and I tend to even be less depressed on them but I save it for a few times a week to avoid dependency. What would be more advisable, submitting myself to benzo or methadone dependency? Healthier and more effective than submitting to a cocaine or heroin addiction?

I am going to try even ECT or maybe an maoi liek segilone before making this radical decision

Methadones primary purpose is harm reduction. It’s viewed largely as a last resort for the heroin addict who will likely die without it and has accepted they need it in there life for stability.

I think you’re playing with fire if you think you can just use it in moderation and even more so if you think you can use it daily and not get addicted.

Undoubtedly any opiate (for me at least) helps treat anxiety and depression in the moment. The problem is is anxiety and depression aren’t just in the moment issues, they’re complex problems much deeper than a chemical solution.

I mean if you can use methadone 2x a week and get the relief you are searching maybe, I just don’t see that highly possible.

You ask long term treatment of depression with it, and that is a great question. In my experience going to a methadone clinic and interacting with many people on it myself included, I think if you asked all of them if they were genuinely happy with there life or being on methadone most would answer no honestly.

But I won’t say it’s all bad, I just don’t think methadone is a good choice for someone not already addicted to opiates. Methadone can be a powerful tool to help someone who needs drugs and wants stability.

Methadone is extremely strong, long lasting and as you said considered one of the most brutal and long lasting detoxes known to man.

I’d search for relief in Vicodin or Percocet before I went out looking for methadone.

So, I am not thinking of pursuing this right now, but maybe in a year or 3 if I'm still suffering. I have multiple mental illnesses, have been (ab)using drugs for 15 years, but have never been dependent upon anything but nicotine. I've watched others kick methadone in rehab and hope to never be there. Especially because I like to travel and with the way it is in usa, I would only be able to get it from a clinic. But I've got either bipolar or treatment resistant depression mixed with a predisposition towards manic psychosis from stimulants, on top of ocd, anxiety, possible schizoaffective, possible aspergers, etc. I'm just trying to survive. I know bupe would be the better option but it seems to build tolerance so quickly I am sure it would be useless. I KNOW what I'm suggesting is a bad idea and maybe I'm posting for some reminder that it is incase I get this desperate but I'm so miserable and desperate sometimes this seems like a good idea. Would it help with poly drug addiction? Usually when I'm sufficiently high on anything I feel okay,, otherwise I never do.. What about depression and anxiety? In the long term (5-10 years)? I mean, it would treat both depression and any paranoia I have. Do you build a tolerance to these effects? Is this seriously a horrible idea or has it helped some people get their lives together? I've met a few people with treatment resistant diseases like chronic pain that used methadone with success. From the times I've used it I feel perfect on it, how long would this last? Benzos also seem to help in an acute sense, at least with my anxiety and I tend to even be less depressed on them but I save it for a few times a week to avoid dependency. What would be more advisable, submitting myself to benzo or methadone dependency? Healthier and more effective than submitting to a cocaine or heroin addiction?

I am going to try even ECT or maybe an maoi liek segilone before making this radical decision
You have lost your fucking mind. I don't usually answer people in that manner but I am now. Methadone for psych issues? It will help for a while and when it won't, then you'll just be addicted, even more depressed, and constipated. They won't increase the dose so you can chase feeling good off it just because you ask nicely, either. Just an incredibly bad idea. There are, as you mention, still other options for depression. Methadone isn't one of them. Soon after you find out it isn't helping anymore, you'll find it's subtly making things worse, then you'll want to quit, then it's hell on wheels. Don't do it. Full stop.

If you want an opioid for psychiatric purposes, go for tramadol or kratom.

I once was on methadone (an ungodly 380mg/day) and have long been off (that dose being a life sentence for many people as people on doses that high rarely get off), but occasionally have a passing desire to go back on it to treat the general discomfort of human existence (despite not being addicted to opioids) .

The truth is opioids aren't great antidepressants. They do possess rapid acting antidepressant properties but this goes away quickly and ends up potentially exacerbating depression.

I sure do enjoy methadone though. It is an antidepressant but not in the long run. For whatever reason, as much as I liked it, I felt the need to make the painful trek down the 380mg mountain of methadone (despite not having to). This should be an indication of its long term value.