• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks that helps I think Im going to be trying to get into a clinic pretty soon. Im going to give the place a call I'm sure they can answer my other questions...my only problem is that I work at 7:30 in the morning every day so going there every morning to get a dose might be hard. I have an appointment with my regular doctor tomorrow (he knows about my addiction problems), so I might talk to him about it as well. I actually have one other question somebody might be able to help me with: I get off probation at the end of this month and I don't have to see my probation officer anymore so I wont be getting drug tested anymore, but would it just be smarter to wait until the end of the month when I'm officially off of probation, or will it not really matter?

No one follow this. Unless you are a very tolerant opioid dependant person, this will almost certainly kill you.

You wanted to know about using Methadone to taper down to detox off of a 1 balloon a day habit. You weren't asking how to get high with Methadone.

For people who are going into Methadone Maintanence, you start at 20mg, 30mg or 40mg, and go up in 5mg or 10mg increments to the 80-120mg range (on average). To stop all withdrawal symptoms, prevent cravings, and provide high enough cross-tolerance to prevent other opioids from causing euphoria.

For people who are using Methadone to taper and detox from an opioid habit, you do not want to be 100% comfortable and nodding- Even with the first dose. A Methadone detox taper is supposed to last 9-21 days depending on the habit and the person.

The first day the addict needs to start small and increase the dose by 5mg every 2 hours until they feel almost normal: not nodding, not high, not sedated.

Then on the second day, take the total dose from the day before either all at once or in two doses (half in the morning half at night). Then starting on day 3 start reducing the dosage incrementally. When one starts to reduce the daily dosage, in the beginning of the taper you generally reduce by larger amounts. As you get closer to the end of the taper the amount you are reducing the dosage by will get smaller and smaller.

Sample taper w/ 150mg Methadone total:

-Day 1: 20mg
-Day 2: 20mg
-Day 3: 15mg
-Day 4: 15mg
-Day 5: 12.5mg
-Day 6: 12.5mg
-Day 7: 10mg
-Day 8: 10mg
-Day 9: 7.5mg
-Day 10: 7.5mg
-Day 11: 5mg
-Day 12: 5mg
-Day 13: 5mg
-Day 14: 2.5mg
-Day 15: 2.5mg

Don't be so wreckless; re-dosing with high doses of Methadone is how people die. It happens very, very often. Many people on this forum and in this thread have OD'd from doing what you say you are doing to do- take more Methadone than you need one day, then the next day take more.

Methadone has a very long half-life. That means that a big percentage of the Methadone you take today is still going to be in your system tomorrow. Taking another large dose could easily put you over the edge.

I posted a story in DiTM a month or two ago about a guy who lied about how much Heroin he was using in an MMT dispensing rehab facility in the UK. He received 90mg Methadone over the course of a day and a half (which is basically what you are proposing to do): the nurses found him dead the next morning.

Hey man, thanks so much for the advice. Just wanted to let you know that I am no longer trying to get "fucked up" with these methadones. As per my first post, I only wanted one last crazy night before I left "the nod" for good. Now I know that I should only do that with actual H, not dones. Anyways, your taper plan sounds good except I can survive off even less. I was thinking about doing 5 mg a day right before bed. I haven't really tried this yet so I'm not sure how hard it will be. I might do 10mg the first couple nights but I really don't have enough to do that much. Do you think a 20 day taper, coming off at about 1mg (I'll break the pill up really small) would make me come off withdraw-free? Or will I still have insomnia for awhile (which I would hate cause I have school)? Again though, thanks for the concern.

Last edited:
There's really no such thing as detoxing without withdrawal symptoms, or residual discomfort. Even UROD patients report at least residual crappiness (fatigue, depression, anxiety, insomnia) and some report full blown withdrawal syndrome when they wake up.

The purpose of the taper isn't to remove the withdrawal syndrome, it's to make it more bearable for you, so it is less difficult to overcome.

If you can, I'd recommend having symptom management medications at your disposal (Clonidine, Benzodiazepines, Meclizine or Compazine, Loperamide, Ibuprofen, etc).

tums and methadone? If I'm understanding this right...tums as in an antacid wont effect methadone and vice-versa. But get another opinion if this is some kinda new lingo for some drug I have not heard of...

Methadone is very very potent as everyone has said. Methadone is very deadly and highly addictive. Everyone reacts to drugs differently and I would advise to take no more than 10mg if you have no opiate tolerance. And wait wait wait...nothing is more important than waiting to see what happens. I love this thing i see on here that says you can take more but you cant take out what you've put in.

I've been on methadone maintenance from a clinic and I'm now taking it now for pain (and a personal high) from a family physician. Methadone withdrawals suck but its the price you pay for a long all day high that wakes you up feeling "well". Or in my current case I get all day pain relief and don't have to carry around an extra dose "just in case".

In my opinion liquid hits me faster and harder than the pills and yes methadone does take awhile to feel its full effect but if you are on as much as I am you feel it rather quickly...
Of course this is how the drug effects me...When I first started using methadone recreationally 40mg tore my head off and I puked alot. Now I prefer to have a couple hundred milligrams to get where I want to be.

I am one of those who suboxone does nothing for...not even taking its ceiling dose of 32mg.
I wish I was not this way cause I've heard great things about it. Some people can use or abuse suboxone and some can use or abuse methadone...I happen to have a severe addiction to methadone now from taking it for so long and I'm scared to death to feel those withdrawals again for 3 to 6 months (high dose of 240mg). And I sure wish I could use suboxone cause I honestly like methadone way too much for it to work for detox.

I now prefer it to my ex love of heroin...I would now rather wait an hour or so to feel high all day and well when I wake up then to wait 10 seconds to feel very high for a few hours. But of course I'll pay for that when I decide to quit..which should have happened 3 months or so ago.

Be safe and use your head when playing with methadone...You wouldn't eat a handful of mescaline without researching it so why play games with pills just cause they come from a well lit,clean looking pharmacy!?

I didn't see a lot of posts about using Methadone to taper off a moderate OC addiction/habit so I thought I'd post my experiences.

Up until a little over a week ago I was doing about 160-200 mg of OC a day. I've quit cold turkey before, but this time around I had access to 10 10mg Methadone. I began my taper as such:

Day 1: 30mg
Day 2: 30mg
Day 3: 20mg
Day 4: 10mg
Day 5: 10mg

I'm sure I could've spread it out more effectively, but 30mg held me pretty nicely, and as I tapered lower and lower I began to notice discomfort, but it was bearable.

It's been over 48 hours since I took my last 5mg dose and I've been experiencing a bit of uneasiness and discomfort, but I have been able to function quite well.

Hopefully in the next day or two the discomfort and uneasiness will disappear, but I suppose it's the price I have to pay for the mistakes of my past.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

I didn't see a lot of posts about using Methadone to taper off a moderate OC addiction/habit so I thought I'd post my experiences.

Up until a little over a week ago I was doing about 160-200 mg of OC a day. I've quit cold turkey before, but this time around I had access to 10 10mg Methadone. I began my taper as such:

Day 1: 30mg
Day 2: 30mg
Day 3: 20mg
Day 4: 10mg
Day 5: 10mg

I'm sure I could've spread it out more effectively, but 30mg held me pretty nicely, and as I tapered lower and lower I began to notice discomfort, but it was bearable.

It's been over 48 hours since I took my last 5mg dose and I've been experiencing a bit of uneasiness and discomfort, but I have been able to function quite well.

Hopefully in the next day or two the discomfort and uneasiness will disappear, but I suppose it's the price I have to pay for the mistakes of my past.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask

How long had you been using OC? That is a pretty short taper to come off with just a little uneasiness. I'm glad to hear it, though. My taper with methadone didn't work out cause I found some cheap H and couldn't help myself. I plan to taper with the H since I don't have the money to continue using.

How long had you been using OC? That is a pretty short taper to come off with just a little uneasiness. I'm glad to hear it, though. My taper with methadone didn't work out cause I found some cheap H and couldn't help myself. I plan to taper with the H since I don't have the money to continue using.

I had been using OC for close to a year. I had been doing between 160-200mg for about 4-5 months.

30mg of Methadone held me pretty well ... there was still some discomfort, but it was nothing too bad.

My supply was limited too 100mg of Methadone total with no way of getting any more.

The taper was short, but effective ... when I came off my last methadone dose there was a bit of discomfort the next day, but I was able to function and even able to hold it together for a family gathering.

It's been 3 days since my last 5mg dose (I spaced 10mg between two doses) and there is still some discomfort, but it pales in comparison to the discomfort I'd be feeling if I hadn't detox'd with the Methadone.

quote:
What are the withdrawals like?

The withdrawals from methadone are similar to every other opiate, although they have been reported to be much more severe if the dose is too high when the patient cuts off usage. Physical symptoms include nausea, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, sweats, chills, joint pain, elevated blood pressure, fever, runny nose, and increased tear production.

The psychological symptoms can include depression, anxiety, paranoia, panic disorders, delusions, decreased sex drive, prolonged insomnia, and fatigue or exhaustion.
....end quote

Ok,
I disagree, I have been through methadone withdrawl and it doesnt even come close to the withdrawl of other opiates. After being on 85 mgs for 2 years and being stepped down over a few weeks, I began to feel as if I was in hell. There are no words to describe the utter agony that you go through withdrawling from this awful drugs. I spent a month not sleeping more than 5 minutes here and there. There is nites I laid in bed crying because the withdrawl was so severe I was contemplating suicide. I was hallucinating, smelling things that other people didnt smell (like everything smelt like burnt plastic for some reason), you cant get comfortable or lay down or anyhting.. I remeber laying down for 30 seconds then sitting up in my bed then laying back down over and over for maybe a week. I was way to sick to leave the house to even go get a bag to get off sick. My stupid ass got on methadone again this april (2009) and I have never been so depressed that I made such a terrible decision knowing the circumstances. I am now once again a prisoner to the clinic (and a severe benzo addict but thats a different story, I mentioned it because alot of people become benzo addicts to make their meth stronger). So currently there is this out patient detox called AMBULATORY detox. If you tell them you are addicted to benzos and opiates, they give you a packet of detox meds everymorning. They have been giving me: lunesta, seroquel, catapres, librium (chlordiazepoxide), lamotil (diphenoxylate [opiod similar to meperidine], and atropine), gabentin, hydroxyzine, phenergen (promethazine). This is a better care package than any inpatient detox has ever provided and Ive been to my fair share of them. For example, my first day getting meds they gave me 24 25mg chlordiazepoxides. That is ALOT of librium. And the cool thing is almost every thing they are giving me potentiates methadone alot :D. Im still on methadone and socking away the meds so I dont have to travel downtown withdrawling my ass off when I finally get kicked off the clinic (and I will because I take upwards of 20mgs of clonazepam and alprazolam a day), I will have a huge stash of detox meds and be able to medicate myself. Most doctors at inpatient detoxes dont know how to detox. They think that after 3 days you should be well again. pff this is another story. But ya, back on subject, methadone doesnt compare to any opiate withdrawl. Its like comparing withdrawling from heroin (the methadone), or apap (any other opiate). If anyone is on methadone I suggest you prepare for the crash because its terrible. Try to get some benzos prescribed/ Dont be empty handed when you are off the meth. Good luck!

sp0r

just looking out for you

ONE QUICK THING

I dont like to tell people what to do so dont take it that way. But for anyone considering getting on methadone, I would seriously reconsider. It is a terrible vortex do be sucked into. I can list a thousand resaons. You are prisoner to the clinic. Methadone is liquid handcuffs, you have to go EVERY DAY!!! You might think you can miss your dose for a day. But even one day is bad. I compare missing a dose to having a 3 bag a day habbit and going through withdrawl from it. Also methadone stops getting you high after while. And YES, you will find a way to get high again off of it. And all of the things you will do to get high are so bad for you. Most of what you will here is about "POtentiators", and most potentiators are liver enzyme inhibitors. Playing games with your liver is eventually going to harm you for good. Also you will try to mix it with a myriad of different pills. I have become a MAJOR pill addict (basically any pill that will make me drowsy or enhance my buzz). Im primarily addicted to benzos now (clonazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam, chlordiazepoxide) and from what Ive heard millions of times, mixing benzos with methadone is almost a death sentence. However us drug addicts believe we are invincible and will live through anything. This shit doesnt happit to us, it happens to some other guy who didnt know what he was doing.. Thats how twisted it makes our minds. Also, you will become involved with a whole CROWD of people that will do nothing that bring you down. If you want to go to the clinic everymorning and be surrounded by drug dealers, benzo dealers, etc then more power to you. But that fucks with my head. I have my own benzos but when I run out and for instance someone has a green bar of xanax (made by DAVA), I cant turn it down. Getting on methadone makes you worse not better. Im not trying to be hypocritical but Im trying to get the balls to get off of it again. Im am so deathly afraid to go through that nightmare again. The only thing Ive seen successfully keep people clean is suboxone. If you want afford it, you can always go to detox to get off your pharms or dope or whatever, and If you are really dedicated you can ask your doctor to put you on Revia (naltrexone) which blocks opiates. Its not the easiest thing to do but you wills stay clean.. Some people swear NA meetings are the only way, although I tend to disagree, but hey if it works for you more power to ya. Alright enough preaching, I just consider us all brothers and sisters and Im just trying to look out for my family.

Ez,
sp0r<3

:\:\

i usually take 2mgs of buprenoprhine a day... and will usually go through a gram of H in 2 or 3 days..

any ideas what a good methadone dose would be? I just took 15mgs and i feel much relief from withdrawal i was in ..

my friend has a bottle of 60mgs that he bought off of a person. one time i bought some liquid methadone and me and a friend split it. we didnt feel anything and we left a little in the bottle. a few days later i drank the rest of the bottle and was really high.

for some reason the methadone doesnt like to stay suspended in the liquid, so whats the best way to split the 60mgs so its as close to 30=30mg as possible within reason/

the methadone syrup has suspension agents in it so it should be consistent through out the bottle but if your having doubts then simply take a tooth pic and stir it up real good to make sure. be safe..

and the best way to measure the doses or split it is to use a baby medicin syringe. the ones with the bulb on the back and is marked in ml. you can get em at the dollar store or anywere with a pharmacy such as the grocery.

Last edited:
Done has saved me

spOr, I constantly see you saying methadone is a horrible drug and will send you into a vortex of blah.........maybe you have had bad experiences but 130 mg for the past 5 years has saved my life.Went from 2grams a day of detroits finest to a clean dope free life with my wife and kids.Still on methadone mind you but very happy. I have no need to try and potentiate my dose because im stable at 130 and my cravings are taken care of. I have seen many peoples lives saved by this medicine and despise the term liquid handcuffs. Anyone with a serious opiate addiction should give it a try it could change your life. With clean UA's you only attend the clinic 1x a week 2x a month or 1x a month depending on your state regs.

how many days can you take methadone without any bad withdrawal a week?

I usually only use methadone after an oxy binge and dont go on it for longer than a few days straight... also do you think 48 hours is long enough after my last methadone dose to take suboxone?

switchin over

Im not sure how to answer the first ? But about 3 yrs ago I tried going from 35mgs. done to sub. I waited about 60hrs. felt awfully sick and still had horrible precipitated WD- wait as long as possible.

I heard it only blocks at doses higher than 60mgs...

I dont think its quite as similar s bupe

NEED HELP - dun know if I will have W/D from fentanyl 2 weeks use??/?

Hi, i have a question , if someone who may know the answer helps me out i will greatly appreciate it. Question is , if i have been on 100mcg duragesic patches for a period of 2 weeks and on top of that having 85mg methadone . Now due to Australian stupid scheduled drug laws, only 1 dr is allowed to have a permit to prescribe narcotics ie. fentantl . morph and etc. So now i only have 2 patches left which are 100mcg by Jenssen Cilag, which are non gel ones of course, and I would like to know if U THINK I WILL BE IN A DEEP WITHDRAWAL due to being on duragesic for 2 weeks , as DR who prescribed duragesic to me and thus was her initiative to prescribe told me that I wont have any withdrawals from being on 100mcg for 2 weeks and before that i was on 25mcg for 1 week. Generally its about 3 weeks of using fentanyl though only 2 weeks at 100mcg , changing every 3 days. I also will tell u that i can increase my m'done dose anytime i want. and I dont have a limit of how much my doc can prescribe to me. I can be on 300mg if i choose to, but that will only allow me 1 take away as dose too high. not the point here though. I need to know if i can expect something , or will i be allright?

THX ALL , WHO SPENDS SOME TIME HELPING . 8o

No ones knows there is a high chance you will w/d since on top of your 3 week fent you used methadone. But everyone is different people can take opioid's daily for a couple weeks without having w/d.

it's entirely possibly that you will have some withdrawals, though i bet they will be pretty mild at best. fentanyl withdrawl is generall pretty short due to the short duration of the drug, and methadone's w/d is generally pretty long because of its long duration, so i imagine the withdrawal length will be in the middle, though mild at best. you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.