• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Methadone detox question after slow taper?

Jeremythompson0721

Greenlighter
This is my first time here so I appreciate any knowledge you guys have to offer. I've taken a year and a half to taper off 90mgs of methadone. I currently dropped to 1 mg and am starting detox n a few days. In general how long and how severe are withdrawals from that low dosage?
This may seem silly to some at that dose but I suffer from severe fibromyalgia/MECFS and am treated for depression and anxiety. I seem to experience more severe wds, pain flares and stroke level blood pressure with each drop than most people due to my conditions. Wds are less severe than at higher mgs but still uncomfy without supportive meds.
I am prescribed Klonopin 1 mg 3 times daily and Clonodine .2 3 times daily which has been a lifesaver. Clonidine good for every damn thing!! 😁

Thoughts on timeline and symptoms?
Thanks to anyone out there who can respond. -J

Try Kratom for the pain and withdrawal! I got off oxy using Kratom .

This actually worries me a lot when I see it methadone addiction being worse than heroin addiction etc does anyone know the shortest time to take methadone before tolerance grows?

Try Kratom for the pain and withdrawal! I got off oxy using Kratom .
Larimer,
Thank u. I have used kratom n the past and it also helped mitigate withdrawal before my rx of clonodine. My pain is normally under decent control. I found a good physician, im a teacher and read a lot, and I found the narcotics weren't even that helpful on my type of pain but thought it was n my mind. I found Cymbalta and gabapentin and they work great. Just the drops n dosage sometimes causes flares. Both fibro and especially mecfs is so underrated. It's debilitating. People hear fatigue and think tired. No, there r times I can't speak or sit upright. But I'm alive!!!
Most people who detox in jail cold turkey from upwards of 200 mgs or more say it takes the better part of a month for the physical issues to subside. My counselor is saying therefore n her experience tapering slowly to 1 mg should be a week or less and very mild. Certainly controllable by my klonopin and clonodine. I'll buy some kratom too. Lol
Do you think she's in the ballpark with timeframe and severity?

Sorry for novel-English and Theatre professor. Old habits die hard right!? 😁

I've been on the methadone program for over 20 years and have come off it once, unfortunately I relapsed and ended up back on the program but I'm ok with that.

Firstly if it were me I wouldn't bother with the kratom, coming off such a low dose would, in my opinion only complicate matters unnecessarily.

The clonidine will be your best friend and together with the clonazepam should easily cover you, just be aware that benzo's are very addictive themselves so keep the use of the clonazepam as short as possible.

I think one week is a pretty realistic time frame for the main physical symptoms, normally methadone withdrawl is very slow but as you have tapered down to such a low dose over a good period of time you won't have a build up of methadone in your body, it may take a bit longer than one week, from such a low dose though, I don't think it would take much longer than that.

You may find that paws/post acute withdrawl symptoms will continue for a while longer than one week and I will admit that I have not dealt with this side of methadone withdrawl, however if you are prepared mentally to do this that will help a lot.

As soon as you are able make an effort to eat as well as possible, plenty of fruit and vegetables as well as lean protein, also try to start some regular exercise as soon as possible.

I will find a couple of helpful links to post here, to sum up however, after getting through the initial withdrawl period good nutrition and regular exercise will be of great benefit.

I couldn't find the article I wanted to link here so I will just say, as well as simply eating well you could consider supplementation with an essential amino acid mix, you want to help your body to produce dopamine and seratoning naturally again and supplements like l-tyrosine and or l-phenylalanine will help regarding dopamine and 5-htp can help regarding seratonin.

there is some very good information about this sort of thing at.

www.opiateaddictionsupport.com

Also you might consider posting a thread in the sober living section, you will get plenty of support there.

Finally here is a little quote that I find helpful/inspiring when things get rough.

Endurance is the quality that can bare things, not simply with resignation, but with blazing hope.

It is the virtue that will keep a man on his feet with his face to the wind.

The spirit that can transmute the hardest of trials into glory, because beyond the pain, it sees the goal.

Keep your eyes on the prize and you can smash this.

Wishing you all the best.

VC

Last edited:
I've been on the methadone program for over 20 years and have come off it once, unfortunately I relapsed and ended up back on the program but I'm ok with that.

Firstly if it were me I wouldn't bother with the kratom, coming off such a low dose would, in my opinion only complicate matters unnecessarily.

The clonidine will be your best friend and together with the clonazepam should easily cover you, just be aware that benzo's are very addictive themselves so keep the use of the clonazepam as short as possible.

I think one week is a pretty realistic time frame for the main physical symptoms, normally methadone withdrawl is very slow but as you have tapered down to such a low dose over a good period of time you won't have a build up of methadone in your body, it may take a bit longer than one week, from such a low dose though, I don't think it would take much longer than that.

You may find that paws/post acute withdrawl symptoms will continue for a while longer than one week and I will admit that I have not dealt with this side of methadone withdrawl, however if you are prepared mentally to do this that will help a lot.

As soon as you are able make an effort to eat as well as possible, plenty of fruit and vegetables as well as lean protein, also try to start some regular exercise as soon as possible.

I will find a couple of helpful links to post here, to sum up however, after getting through the initial withdrawl period good nutrition and regular exercise will be of great benefit.
I REALLY appreciate your experience and advice. And relapse is a part of life. Some people need substitution therapy for life to abstain and stay alive. I've learned a lot n my time there. My case was a little different than some. As far as the absence of addiction.
I got very sick...unbearable pain, exhaustion so bad I couldn't walk or speak sometimes and had and have issues accessing words n completing sentences. Awkward as an English teacher who loves words.
LONG story LONG, I was with a quack of a Dr who told me it was stress, arthritis, depression and started me on opioids the first visit. Wasnt until I wasn't improving much at all and the strength in mg kept climbing and climbing and breakthrough meds were also prescribed, I realized crap was amiss. You HAVE to be PROACTIVE and EDUCATE yourself on meds and treatment. So I began reason and haven't stopped 5 years later.
I changed Drs and was diagnosed in a matter of days. He started me on the cymbalta, at one time lyrica and gabapentin. There was a 60 percent improvement in the pain part. So naturally I wanted to get off the oxy.
They say opiate wd won't kill u just make u pray for death. Leave it to me though to be the 1 in a few hundred or more that can die. As I cut my pills into tiny slivers my BP would sky rocket with minimal tapering. Landed me in icu for fear of a stroke at 35. Methadone was suggested as smaller exact increments are less troublesome. Still issues though. I never had a desire to abuse my meds, I just wanted out of pain though I can see how easily I could have. Ur happy and feel mentally great even at regular doses. Cant say it wasn't enjoyable. Of course, I know addiction isn't a moral weakness but a disease that leaves many unable to stop on their own. KUDOS FOR STAYING N THE PROGRAM.
Left my teaching career for three years but am being a gunieau pig for every fibro/MECFS trial and new meds that come along. New Netflix documentary "Unrest" has helped with awareness of MECFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome,) though "fatigue" in the name is what has made the disease ridiculed for almost 40 years. Fatigue cannot express how disabling it can be sometimes. Hence the new name: M.E./CFS or Myalgic Encephalomyelitus. 😳 Lord. Both VCU and VaTech are really trting to achieve even a 20 or 30 percent remission so i can get to my career.
Anyway u probably dont care. I ramble and apologize. My cousin who has suffered with addiction of all types told me about this website.
I was hesitant, but I can't tell u how much you've helped me. Hearing it from you who has been in my shoes, is different than a counselor spouting textbook jargon.
Last thing. I've had treatment resistant GAD and panic disorder my entire life and the 7 ssris, snris, beta blockers, vistaril, buspar etc etc etc did nothing. And my life was miserable....all prior to physical issue onset. So I've been on benzos for close to 15 years. First Xanax, didn't like side effects and after 5 years switched to Klonopin and have been on it for almost 10 years. Of course I'm physically dependent I'm sure but I don't abuse them. While on higher mgs of methadone tapered them from 2 mg tablets to .25. Not much anxiety control at that dose. 😖😵 Then at 20 mgs of 'done he upped my KPIN rx back to 1 mg.

Sorry for the blather. I just like people and I'd love to at least try to help or just listen if u ever need a pal. Thanks for being one for me.

God bless and be safe MY friend! -J aka JOHN GRISHAM, long ass winded novelist. 😜

This actually worries me a lot when I see it methadone addiction being worse than heroin addiction etc does anyone know the shortest time to take methadone before tolerance grows?

Uhh, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but my experience with being on methadone was my tolerance to heroin went down not up.

@Jeremythompson0721, no worries mate I don't mind reading a bit of a long post...ha ha.
It sounds like you have gone through a lot mate, it makes such a difference to have a doctor who takes a bit of time to look closely at test results or whatever and they pick up something that others missed.

If not for the good dr in your story you would probably still be on an ever increasing dose of methadone.

I know a bit about pushing on despite things getting a bit hard, back in 2008 I had an accident that left me totally blind, I use a screen reader to navigate the web so I guarantee you I will read every word of your post.
I think the quality of your taper will make things as easy for you as it is possible to do, be prepared to feel a bit uncomfortable but if you have the discipline to complete a taper like you have then you have the discipline to take that final step.

I will follow along here if you want any support or any help at all.

Also if you post a thread in the sobre living section I'll follow it there.

God bless you my friend

Hey man,
I'm sorry I'm just replying. Long story but my uncle passed and it was very unexpected. It has been a cause of great stress, anxiety, and mouring, not only for my Aunt, my cousin, and whole family, but my dad has many compounding health issues. So needless to say the worry of this news also worries my brother, mom, and I for him.
But back to business: I can't tell u how much ur posts including this last one did help reinforce my determination and will to finish up. I have to say that I thank God for how easy it was with everything else taking place.
I did take clonodine daily and my clonazepam so perhaps some symptoms were mitigated. That being said yesterday was the 7th day only. Only during the first two days did I have a couple hot flashes and a few trips to the bathroom. Expecting a bathtub faucet was preparing to erupt from my bowels, I took 2 Imodium a.d. From last Monday until last Thursday I had no other symptoms except I couldn't go to the bathroom. Im a lean guy and I was looking 4 to 5 months pregnant and was hurting so I had to take a dulcolax. Like honestly, who needs a laxative during detox? 😜 By Friday morning early let's just say the laxative did it's job. 😲 This post should have been labeled poop post. I apologize. Gross.
Anyway, Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday the only main issue, which may be more Fibro/CFS muscular pain related is some insomnia which has existed from the get go of detox. Assuming some hyperanalgesia. Not sure if that was the exact term but referring to the fact opioids can cause increases in pain. Maybe a combo.
The insomnia has never been an issue my entire life. I go to sleep but by 2 to 330 I'm wide awake. Oddly, I can sleep like a baby during the day for a few hours, and napping or not the insomnia is the same. I could take more clonodine or Klonopin when I awake but that can just make me short on meds so I can tough that out. Hoping that's part of the acute withdrawal rather than PAWS just because lack of sleep aggravates everything from my anxiety, o2 levels from not wearing my cpap enough (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) for ten years, and that meticulates down to causing more pain and worst of all fatigue and a possible nearly bed bound crash.
I have to say though overall I believe my very slow taper is what was most successful in the end. (No pun intended.) 😁
To anyone out there scared of tapering who feel they are ready, if abuse especially was a factor, my advice is to remember you are in control of your speed, your comfort, and your success. Dont let anyone rush u if possible. And finally I don't know of any physician from a walk in Patient First to a GP with which you've built a relationship of trust, that won't prescribe Clonodine. It isn't a miracle for everyone but it seems nearly. I was given lowest dose .1 mg twice daily PRN during whole taper and took sporadically because some drops can be big and u expect symptoms and have none. Others are small and minor and mild symptoms come through. But with my comorbid occuring illnesses my hypersensitivity made me a unique case. When prepared for detox my doc did up Clonidine to .2 three times daily PRN. Just be careful with it. It can bottom your BP out fast and make u feel terrible or worse could stop your heart.
I want to finish up here, (at least with this issue but would love to talk or be here for support should u EVER need it.) Your story of the accident and subsequent vision issues have truly humbled me and made me aware of how silly I've been over so much. Your attitude and will is obviously unmatched and your perseverance through obstacles only to come out on the other side are inspirational to me. You must be an incredible human being. Thank u again, Happy Holidays, and God bless you my friend. I hope we will speak again.

J

Hey man,
I'm sorry I'm just replying. Long story but my uncle passed and it was very unexpected. It has been a cause of great stress, anxiety, and mouring, not only for my Aunt, my cousin, and whole family, but my dad has many compounding health issues. So needless to say the worry of this news also worries my brother, mom, and I for him.
But back to business: I can't tell u how much ur posts including this last one did help reinforce my determination and will to finish up. I have to say that I thank God for how easy it was with everything else taking place.
I did take clonodine daily and my clonazepam so perhaps some symptoms were mitigated. That being said yesterday was the 7th day only. Only during the first two days did I have a couple hot flashes and a few trips to the bathroom. Expecting a bathtub faucet was preparing to erupt from my bowels, I took 2 Imodium a.d. From last Monday until last Thursday I had no other symptoms except I couldn't go to the bathroom. Im a lean guy and I was looking 4 to 5 months pregnant and was hurting so I had to take a dulcolax. Like honestly, who needs a laxative during detox? 😜 By Friday morning early let's just say the laxative did it's job. 😲 This post should have been labeled poop post. I apologize. Gross.
Anyway, Saturday, Sunday, and yesterday the only main issue, which may be more Fibro/CFS muscular pain related is some insomnia which has existed from the get go of detox. Assuming some hyperanalgesia. Not sure if that was the exact term but referring to the fact opioids can cause increases in pain. Maybe a combo.
The insomnia has never been an issue my entire life. I go to sleep but by 2 to 330 I'm wide awake. Oddly, I can sleep like a baby during the day for a few hours, and napping or not the insomnia is the same. I could take more clonodine or Klonopin when I awake but that can just make me short on meds so I can tough that out. Hoping that's part of the acute withdrawal rather than PAWS just because lack of sleep aggravates everything from my anxiety, o2 levels from not wearing my cpap enough (Obstructive Sleep Apnea) for ten years, and that meticulates down to causing more pain and worst of all fatigue and a possible nearly bed bound crash.
I have to say though overall I believe my very slow taper is what was most successful in the end. (No pun intended.) 😁
To anyone out there scared of tapering who feel they are ready, if abuse especially was a factor, my advice is to remember you are in control of your speed, your comfort, and your success. Dont let anyone rush u if possible. And finally I don't know of any physician from a walk in Patient First to a GP with which you've built a relationship of trust, that won't prescribe Clonodine. It isn't a miracle for everyone but it seems nearly. I was given lowest dose .1 mg twice daily PRN during whole taper and took sporadically because some drops can be big and u expect symptoms and have none. Others are small and minor and mild symptoms come through. But with my comorbid occuring illnesses my hypersensitivity made me a unique case. When prepared for detox my doc did up Clonidine to .2 three times daily PRN. Just be careful with it. It can bottom your BP out fast and make u feel terrible or worse could stop your heart.
I want to finish up here, (at least with this issue but would love to talk or be here for support should u EVER need it.) Your story of the accident and subsequent vision issues have truly humbled me and made me aware of how silly I've been over so much. Your attitude and will is obviously unmatched and your perseverance through obstacles only to come out on the other side are inspirational to me. You must be an incredible human being. Thank u again, Happy Holidays, and God bless you my friend. I hope we will speak again.

J
still going strong? Im currently on a slow taper myself!

Uhh, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but my experience with being on methadone was my tolerance to heroin went down not up.
I was greedy. I was on both. But I wasn't in a program long, maybe 3 months. Since I was at 30mgs, because I wouldn't allow the clinic to raise me...kinda already knew I was out the door. My heroin use

went up. But just for a short while. Then I regulated once the done was out of my system, maybe over a week and a half. Methadone in my opinion def raises opiate/opioid use. Meth can be a bitch to

come off of. Especially at the end, the little bits and pieces. Then add the post acute shit. Not to be a bummer. But I've had friends with maybe a 2 year dope habit end up on Methadone for 8+ years,

because they could not jump.

Given that you're at the end of a long taper I'm going to move this over to H&R. If you want it put back let me know. Lots of us over there have gone through hellish tapers and withdrawals.