• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Meth Meth feminizing hormones extreme dizziness

manpanther

Greenlighter
I do meth on weekends sometimes and since I've started taking estrogen and spironalactone I sometimes get pretty severe dizziness for a few days afterwards. Standing up can feel dangerous. Is the HRT causing this? Is there anything I can do to make this stop aside from quitting? It's seriously effecting my ability to work.
(Pronouns: she/her)

It's concerning to hear about the difficulties you're experiencing with dizziness, especially in relation to meth use and hormone replacement therapy (HRT) with estrogen and spironolactone. While I'm not a doctor, I can share some information that might help you understand the potential interactions and the importance of addressing this issue.

Methamphetamine (meth) is a powerful stimulant that affects the central nervous system and can have a wide range of physical and psychological effects. On the other hand, estrogen and spironolactone, a common component of feminizing hormone therapy for transgender women and transfeminine individuals, can have significant effects on your hormonal balance and cardiovascular health.

Potential Interactions:

1. Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Risks: Both methamphetamine and spironolactone can influence blood pressure and cardiovascular function but in opposite ways. Meth can increase blood pressure and heart rate, while spironolactone can lower blood pressure (it's a diuretic used to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention). When combined, these substances might lead to unpredictable and potentially dangerous changes in blood pressure, possibly explaining the severe dizziness you've been experiencing.
  2. Dehydration and Electrolyte Imbalance: Methamphetamine use can lead to dehydration, while spironolactone, being a diuretic, can also increase the risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, which could contribute to dizziness and feeling faint, especially upon standing (a condition known as orthostatic hypotension).
  3. Hormonal Fluctuations: HRT involves carefully balancing hormones, and introducing substances like methamphetamine can disrupt this balance, potentially leading to a variety of side effects, including those affecting your cardiovascular system.
Addressing the Issue:

• Consult a Healthcare Provider: It's crucial to speak with a healthcare professional who is knowledgeable about both HRT and substance use. They can provide advice tailored to your specific situation, including adjusting your HRT regimen or providing guidance on managing the effects of substance use.
  • Consider Harm Reduction Strategies: If quitting meth use outright isn't something you're ready for, harm reduction strategies can help mitigate risks. This includes staying hydrated, avoiding use when alone, and monitoring your health closely for adverse reactions.
  • Support Resources: Engaging with community support groups, either for substance use or for transgender health, can provide additional advice and support from those with similar experiences.
It's important to address these symptoms seriously, as they can affect not only your ability to work but also your overall health and well-being. A healthcare professional can help you navigate these complex interactions between methamphetamine use and HRT, ensuring that your health is monitored and managed with care. Remember, your safety and health are paramount, and there are resources available to support you through this.