• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Mesembrine

dbailey11

Bluelighter
I was reading the new thread started by Remnisant B on Rolipram, and the wiki article mentioned mesembrine as another PDE4 inhibitor. But it also says that mesembrine is an extremely potent SSRI. How come this has never been recommended as a natural alternative for pharmaceutical ADs? Or is this just another case of the pharm industry trying to squash any and all information on something that can't be patented? Anyone know anything more about this compound?

While it's true that drugs like mesembrine can't be patent and therefore there is a lack of interest in them by pharmaceutical companies it shouldn't automatically be concluded it's safe to use on a regular basis like SSRI's as it's clinical trials which help to proove this.

There is also the possibility pharm companies have already researched patentable analogues of mesembrine and never published the findings.

I wouldn't want to say one way or the other if mesembrine would be useful but I definately think ethnobotanists advertising kanna/mesembrine as a NATURAL (I dislike that word a lot) equivalent to SSRI's is just as bad as the spin/altered science pharmaceutical companies have been known to put on certain SSRIs.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Yeah I agree it's just as bad to advertise it as a safe alternative without research. It never occured to me that it might actually be dangerous if used on a regular basis- I guess just because I take an ssri everyday I figured a natural one wouldn't be any more hazardous to your health.

mesembrine is awfully potent for careful dosing. It'd be way to easy to take too much for a long period of time, and who knows what that'd do.

Is it possible to entirely block serotonin reuptake? I'd imagine that'd be pretty uncomfortable.

?

what dosings have you seen effective for mesembrine (pure or known standardization)...as i believe they are likely ~40mg

Last edited:
I was under the impression pure mesembrine was active in the 200ug range.

We just mentioned that there's no research on it's safety, so IVing would be really stupid; I hope you were just being sarcastic.

So what are the implications if it is the case that the SSRI effects of the different mesembrine-related alkaloids in Kanna has been overstated and that it is the PDE4-inhibition that is responsible for its effects? Recreationally and nootropically?