Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines [Mescaline Subthread] Long Term Effects

vig259

Bluelighter
Back to main mescaline thread

hey i am considering doing mescaline and have read quite a lot of info about what the trip itself is like but i have not been able to find info on the long term side effects of the drug. could someone please give me some info or links to a site that will help me? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask the Native Americans, they have been using it for thousands of years.

Mescaline is one of the most benign and yet powerful drugs on the planet. Fear not, it will be good :)

The only long term change I've noticed from 12 years of munching mescaline/cacti is that I've really lost all desire to get drunk, or indulge in alcohol at all.

In terms of lasting effects, I don't think thats a bad one at all (apparently, alcoholism is virtually unknown among members of the NAC, and it's thought to be down to peyote use)

I wouldn't be surprised if that's not what started Humphrey Osmond (psychiatrist who came up with the word psychedelic) on the idea of treating alcoholics through psychedelic therapy.

I gave some to a good friend who's been a long term (10+ years) alcoholic, was starting to have trouble with his health through drinking, but couldn't find the willpower to stop (and he really wanted to). Three doses over the space of 8 months (one was a big dose, prob 400mg+), and he doesn't really enjoy drinking anymore. He's the 'star pupil' of the clinic that deals with dependancy problems, but hasn't wanted to confide in the people at the clinic, in case they stop seeing him in such a good light.

I don't like killing cacti, but I'd say the benefit he's got out of mescaline is definitely worth it. (Osmond had something like a 40-50% sucess rate in the late 50's/early 60's, but then psychedelics got a bad name, so any further research was stopped, despite having the best results out of any alcohol rehabilitation therapy - typical short sighted politicians). I would say, because of that particular action, that it should be looked at again, with the possibility of it's use by psychiatrists that specifically deal with alcohol dependance problems.

Psychedelics can be used in a clinical setting to benefit people; some psychiatrists are fully aware of that, but they're not the problem; it's narrow minded, vote whore politicians that need to be convinced of it...

Last edited:
i haven't tried mescaline yet but i would bet the long term affects are similar to those of other psychedelics. possible life changing experiences.

Deformed_Neuron said:
[B
Maybe... I could see the posibility in it producing something along the lines of HPPD... but, that can occur with something like Nitrous or Cannabis alone anyways.
[/B]

sorry offtopic but I must ask: ... HPPD from Nitrous alone?8o

This is a great article:
http://slate.msn.com/id/2082647/
"As evidence, Halpern cites a five-year study he recently completed with a Harvard colleague of members of the Native American Church, who are permitted by U.S. law to consume the mescaline-containing cactus peyote as a sacrament. Church members who had taken peyote at least 100 times showed no adverse neurocognitive effects compared to a control group."

Being that you're interested in long term effects, that means you won't update us for a few decades, right?

The only long term change I've noticed from 12 years of munching mescaline/cacti is that I've really lost all desire to get drunk, or indulge in alcohol at all.

of course this isnt always the case. Mr. Jim Morrison loved both his liquor and his mescaline till the day he died ;)

When I was having my fun, I could get practically anything with a single phone call...

...except mescaline.

It is the drug I most wanted to try, and was never able to find.

^^^ And is 100% legally available via the San Pedro Cactus.

^^
Not 100% legal. Processing the cactus with intent to eat is not legal. And eating it with intent to trip is not legal.

Anyway based on my history of psychedelic use I think that mescaline has got to be one of the more benign chemicals I've put in my body. Deep, mystical stuff too.

I meant to say that the cactus is 100% legal to purchase, and there is mescaline in the cactus.

But yes, any kind of processing of the cacti into a consumable form is illegal.

Why isn't this looked at a little more recently? I would like to add that I think that San Pedro should be very healthy for the body in a few ways. If memory serves, other alkaloids present are very good at killing parasites.