• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

mescaline extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

artisian

Greenlighter
So I just got done watching this video and had a couple of questions about the process

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2164471661630252647&q=mescaline+extraction

Ill list all the steps talked about in the video and ask questions as they come up.

STEP 1: Add 400g of cacti to blender and turn into powder
STEP 2: Add 400g of sodium hydroxide to 4 liters of water.
QUESTION: In the video they use a glass container could a plastic one be substituted?
STEP 3: Add cacti to sodium hydroxide solution then shake.
STEP 4: Split solution evenly into two containers.
STEP 5: Repeat step 2 then split between both cacti solutions and mix.
STEP 6: add 1 liter of xylene to one of the cactus solutions then mix well.
QUESTION; Through the rest of the video the second conteiner isn't really mentioned do you repeat the rest of the precess on this container too?
NOTE TAKEN: The clear solvant solution should then turn green or yellow.
NOTE TAKEN: If an emulsion forms add more sodium hydroxide solution. If not wait for solvant to settle.
QUESTION: I do not really understan what an emulsion is. Anyone care to explain?
STEP 7: Seperate the green solvant from the cacti solution by pouring as much of the solvant off in another container. Then simply remove any cacti sludge that came with it.
STEP 8: Now add a small amount of Hcl acid to water then add green solvant to water.
NOTE TAKEN: What appeared to be a cap full of acid was added to about a half full bottle of soda.
STEP 9: After a good shake you can seperate the solvant from the water.
STEP 10: Now store the collected water and then reuse the solvant for other extractions.
QUESTION: How many more extractions can the same solvant be used for before a new one should be prepared?
STEP 11: Then repeat the extraction 3 times on each batch of sludge.
QUESTION: Does that mean that you would simply repeat step 8 three more times on the same solvent? Or from which step would you need to start over from again?
STEP: 12 After all extractions have been completed evaporate all the water remembering to use an enamal pan as the acid in the water will destroy metal pans and cause a contam problem.
Question: Does the water need to be evaporated at a certain temperature or does it not matter?
STEP 13: Final product should be finely powdered and then placed on a radiator. This will evaporate any Hcl that may be there.
QUESTION: Is there anything substitute that I can substitute for a radiator like and electric heater? Also would the final product be smokable?

Last edited:
For the love of all things holy...don't use plastic for chemistry, especially if organic solvents (Xylene) are being used. Lord knows what polymers etc. are going to gakk up your product.

It takes a great deal of work to obtain pure mescaline from cacti. This extractor yields a very crude product that looks like coffee and consuming it would bee foolish. They could have at least washed it with acetone. Also, this person is using way too much NaOH, which will contaminate the mescaline with it and NaCl etc. Making the sulfate is highly recommended since it allows for easy ReX from boiling/ice cold dH2O and EtOH. The freebase should really be distilled prior to precipitation. A vacuum that pulls 10 torr works fine... one as deep as Shulgin uses is not necessary.

Last edited:
I didnt want to start a new thread so heres my related question.

Im in Australia and just went to the hardware store and cant get xylene.
The guy said they dont use it in much, these days.

I can get acetone, does anyone know where a faq is using acetone?

Last edited:
I have never done a mescaline extraction before but im pretty sure you are not going to want to smoke any of the final results and I have read that it is not nessessary to heat the product to evaporate but rather just leave by a window and let naturaly dry.

For sure! i dont want to stink out my kitchen with a pot full of solvent on the stove.

I found this faq

Mescaline

Take a fresh cactus cutting and put it through a centrifuge juicer. After this, add lemon or lime juice to the pulp and run it through a second time. Strain through a paper towel (or cheesecloth) and a coffee filter. Put solution in a large jar and add a non-polar solvent. Add enough lemon juice to acidify the solution to pH 5. Add (about 1/4 the amount of solution) a non-polar solvent, agitate the jar, and after 3 days siphon off the top layer. Discard what you siphon off and basify the solution with a pre-prepared lye solution (Below) to pH 9 or 10. Add a non-polar solvent (about 1/5 the amount of solution) and extract the non-polar solvent layers 4 times (once a week). Combine extractions and evaporate in a pyrex baking dish. As I mentioned previously, mescaline has an exception to the general rule of alkaloid solubility; that exception is diethyl ether. If you can obtain it, use it to wash the biomass. This is, from what I have heard, truly magical.

The lye must be prepared seperatly - put some lye in a jar, add water, and wait for it to stop bubbling.

Hot or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.