Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Mescaline Effects Timeline And Duration

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Mescaline is a fairly misunderstood drug in my opinion. Because of its cacti source and other alkaloids present the overall effects can vary. When I was a kid my dad would tell me the effects last 36+hrs (peyote) and while I one day did find the amazing 36+hr experience it’s not the norm.

My experience last night really solidified in me after years of use what I feel is the overall average peak/duration of Mescaline based on moments with everything from tea to purified mescaline salt.

It’s a strange one and feel needs talking about... I’d also like input from others on their experiences.

When dosing mescaline there’s usually a tingle of something fairly quick but then nothing for the first 45min. Then things slowly begin to come up in a slow and steady fashion at bout an hour. Despite its longer duration than LSD it begins acting sooner.

Now over the next 2-3 hours or so one will gradually come up in waves. Mescaline is a very wavy drug like MDA. You’ll feel like your just going to keep going up and up. On a larger dose it might induce slight panic as it feels never ending with Mescalines ability to elongate time.

Then around 3 1/2 to 4hrs post dosing will be the peak. It’s not a very long peak though, about an hour. And then you begin feeling yourself coming down.

Thing is with Mescaline this “coming down” phase is the bulk of the experience and can sometimes last 24+hrs. It’s characterized as very up and down waves where one feels sober then full tripping again, pupils will dilate the recede. The waves get longer apart and weaker as time goes on.

I’ve had trips where I dosed on 3pm in the afternoon and still feeling slight effects the next night.

On average I’m usually mildly tripping upon waking the next day. (It’s possible to fall asleep tripping on Mesc.)

Curious what others think. With my time away from MDMA I plan on using Mescaline in its place as both a way to heal and have fun, so I’ll be getting more experience in the near future as a push what this substance has to offer.

-GC

Very interesting. It is the one psychedelic which has fascinated me endlessly since the first time I got to know of its use in Native American church ceremonies to induce spiritual experiences as alcoholism rates in Native Americans is off the charts in America. The effects to me sound a bit synergistic with psychedelics and the empayhogens, which is lovely. I am a bit put off by the possible duration (although that would be most welcome if only I could get myself in a warm and surrportive setting). If I do mescaline in the next six months then I am fairly certain to be alone. One of my heroic journeys on LSD-25 lasted well over 18 hours and I was in the city which really made me tired and feeling contempt by the tail-end. I really want to savour the mescaline experience and let it happen in a spiritually significant place for me (like the Teutoberg forest or somewhere else near Innsbrück).

I always say don’t let its long duration hold you back. It’s very unlike other psychedelics and its extremely rare to have an experience one can’t handle. Even then some 8-12hrs after dosing you should be to a point where you can at least function normally, talk with strangers, etc.

I’ll say it’s fascinated me immensely too, such a strange and fascinating drug that straddles empathogen and psych. Every trip feels like it brings this sense of confidence in the direction of my life, as well as an ability to hold space for others and whatever they got going on. I see why San Pedro shamans drink it very often.

-GC

I generally find that the total of the experience is contained within around 20 hours from onset of effects to baseline, only at higher doses or with a re-dose does the comedown really stretch out past the 24 hour mark. I second not letting the duration of the experience scare you off, it's such a friendly headspace that spending days in it wouldn't necessarily be (I should say isn't IME) unpleasant. I would honestly live in that state if it could be established in perpetuity without destroying ones neurochemical balance.

I feel like each time I take it, my mind has had a hard reboot so to speak. All the shit that's been bothering me and weighing on my mind are, while not erased exactly, still toned down to the point where I'm still aware of it but it loses most of it's "substance", becoming things that no longer seem nearly as imposing as they were before. It doesn't cause one to forget their issues, but it stops the rumination on them and really puts everything back in proper perspective.

Even when you're in strong +3 territory, where a wave around the peak might get what someone well versed in psychedelics might find subjectively "intense", it's still remarkably friendly; in addition, you get a bit of a break from the intensity during the valleys between peaks of the waves. Its hard to properly convey how hard you can be tripping while and still entirely functional cognitively and still able to interact with others, under the influence of a psychedelic or not.

Everyone with any interest in the psychedelic experience should put mescaline on their bucket list for sure. Its almost in a class of it's own, even compared to very structurally similar 3,5 dimethoxy substituted phenethylamines. Also, I find cactus to be a "fuller" experience than that of isolated or synthetic mescaline. Part of the magic of the cactus is in all the other phenethylamines and other, less well known constituents. Mescaline sulfate is a great substance, but its lacking a bit of the magic of Tricho cacti.

The peak sounds like a good time to contemplate if not do DMT as well.

By referring to the cactus you mean San Pedro?

The peak sounds like a good time to contemplate if not do DMT as well.

By referring to the cactus you mean San Pedro?
San Pedro and Peruvian Torch, though theres a couple of other species of Tricho cacti I've yet to try. Generally I find Peruvian Torch to be about 20% more potent than San Pedro, but you'll learn very quickly just how much they vary in potency.

The peak is an incredible time to smoke 5-MeO-DMT as well😉

I don't know if I'll ever have that experience, if I do, because growing either of the two is a huge commitment. Synthetic mescaline is easy to get here but it kind of defeats the purpose of doing mescaline methinks. The whole experience should be as organic as possible (like doing Shrooms).

Interesting points made here. I only have experience with cacti but I would agree that the post peak section of the trip is the bulk of the event, where I feel like things are calming down then I take it back and realise im far from being back to earth. I also feel effects in the first 20 mins but chalked that up to other alks in the plants. Such a subtle yet powerful experience!

For me, Bridgessi are zingy and stimulating, Pachanoi are fluffy and somewhat warmer, peruvianus with less additional alks, to me feels like what i'd imagine pure mesc to feel like, then Peyote being most similar to bridgessi but much more potent.

Its a real shame that cacti/mesc isnt used in theraputic sessions for depression/anxiety/addiction in the same way psilocybin and MDMA are. For me the lasting positive effects from cacti are far more substantial and longer lasting than either mushrooms or MDMA. Ive seen some really positive transformations in myself and friends, from hopelessly depressed and abusing alcohol/drugs to being fully sober and connected to the flow of life again.

I myself use San Pedro and Bridgesii. I’ve never gotten what I believe to be a real Torch unfortunately and stopped trying...

I too have found San Pedro a little warmer/easier and Bridgesii more in your face/potent. Over the years I’ve slowly switched to Bridgesii for the reliability but regular old PC Pedro’s is where I started. (Which can be potent if you look around and save cuttings from good batches, then grow yourself.)

In regards to other alkaloids I’ve found a couple to be present..

-In some Pedro’s there’s some sedating alkaloids which often last 4-8 hours, which then if enough Mescaline was consumed the individual kinda comes out of the sedation and can enjoy at the end. This will sometimes put people to sleep and I’ve had to nap during this period a few times.

-Stimulating alkaloids. These are my favorite :) and great for dance/festival settings. I seek out stimulating cacti for this reason. My best guess is maybe hordenine? Idk. But this too doesn’t last as long as the Mescaline but because of Mescalines own stimulating properties there isn’t the same obvious drop off point.

-Empathogenic alkaloids. Mescaline is empathogen as is but I believe there’s alkaloids, particularly in Pedro, which increase the overall empathogenic effect. I’ve seen things like MD-PEA found which may explain this effect. Pedro feels the most “rolly” of what I’ve tried.

-Shorter acting psychedelic alkaloid. 69ron found this one long ago and I’ve found it as well. There appears to be an alkaloid found sometimes which is psychedelic but shorter acting. If you feel yourself tripping 30-60min in fairly hard then you’ve probably stumbled upon it, lasts 3-4hours.

Probably many more which shape the experience but those are the few I know of. Often acacti sit somewhere between the variables I listed above.

I’d love to get my hands on a couple grams pure Mescaline but it ain’t around here, so I stick with cacti and purify how I need to..

-GC

I first became interested in cactus many years ago. During that time, I was able to collect or grow from seed San Pedro, Bridgesii, and a big fat blue peruvanius and some related types. In this area, I put them all in the ground and they grow very fast. Growing them is rewarding all by itself. They respond to micro climates in surprisingly strong ways. They take temperatures down to about 18F in winter here and well over 100 in summer.

I agree with HF123 in that the cactus is very therapeutic, with long lasting benefits.

GC, I did have at least one strong encounter with the fast acting, short duration alkaloid. Quite noticeable and distinct. That was from a San Pedro. Eventually the Mesc took over for a very long enjoyable experience.

Large amounts can be very long lasting. I'm really sensitive to stimulants of any kind, and I find it quite difficult to sleep for at least 16 - 18 hours. That has never stopped me though. Now, it's generally smaller amounts on the weekends. It can be very subtle this way - about 6 hours in, I usually notice that I feel really calm and happy, even without otherwise noticeable effects.

San pedro refers to the blanket term for all active trichos, although when people say San Pedro they usually are referring to Trichocereus Pachanoi in particular.

Pretty much agree with your description of the experience G. The only thing I would add is that dose makes a big difference as well.

Lower doses feel reminiscent of MDMA but stretched out over an 8 hour period instead of 3-4. I’ve had higher dose experiences where the visuals were every bit as all encompassing as higher dose LSD & shroom experiences. Higher doses is where mescaline shines in my opinion.

I would say where mescaline falls on the empathogen/psychedelic scale is a function of dose - lower doses feel more empathogen like and higher doses become very psychedelic in my experience.

I agree with your timetable as well but again the duration is largely a function of dose. I’ve had higher doses that lasted 36+ hours where I went to bed tripping and woke up tripping, strong visuals and all. I can also feel the residual stimulation for a solid week after a higher dose. Stimulation isn’t a perfect descriptor - more like I can feel something above baseline for several days after. It’s basically the best day of your life in a pill/tea.

Of all the drugs I’ve ever tried it has the longest lasting effects, where I feel like the drug is working up to a month after the experience. Phrasing it as a “hard reset” is a great image. Unlike the other classics (acid,shrooms,DMT), I have less conscious insight into why I feel better after, just that something on a brain/soul level has been adjusted and it’s noticeable much longer than anything else I’ve ever tried.

The above is more in reference to pure mescaline - I haven’t read anything in this thread about cactus that I would disagree with even slightly.

I also would not hesitate to take pure mescaline instead of waiting for the right cactus specimen to show up. Cactus is a better experience subjectively, but the pure molecule absolutely contains magic and is worth trying all by itself.

Definitely agree it’s the most misunderstood psychedelic and I would add that it is the most underrated as well.

Great thread on mescaline. If someone were to dig around for good info it is in this thread. I have only done Peruvianus cactus. I never had just mescaline. But the cactus has treated me so well I stick with what works.

I powderize the dried cactus skins. Toss and wash just the powder. within 30-40 minutes and eat some bready stuff to absorb it. Maybe some yogurt. Miraculously enough I never got nauseas. And I have gotten very nauseous from Morning Glory Seeds so always expect that from cactus but never do.

I feel the come up within the first hour. Then I smoke some weed and continue to feel the rise for about 2 1/2 - 4 hours. Then the peak, then a slow come down. It usually lasts me about 12-14 hours. I feel refreshed for a few days afterwards. When it comes to large doses of acid or mescaline it seems mescaline can take the trip beyong 15 hours. But I have to say even with a large dose of acid I still only trip within that 12 hours. Deeply but same time period. I know some people can trip for a few days on larger doses but that is not my experience. Now the afterglow can last me a week. And if I smoke weed at say 20 hours of course it brings it back a little. But if I smoke some a week later it also brings a little back. So to me I never come down. lol :D Like the bumper stickers at Dead shows. Help, I've tripped and I can't come down!.

I agree with a lot of what was said. It can be strong but even peaking I feel I can handle myself if I had someone interrupt me. If I were on acid I would have the dumb look and not be able to speak. Incredible how something can feel so magical yet so transparent. It has a way of making ordinary moments magical. I mean I can get that on other psychedelics but for some reason mescaline has a way of making an insight out of ordinary things, and not in a cheap way like say nitrous oxide. A real way. Hard to explain.
It does have an effects profile ranging from emotional peaks like MDMA but also trip peaks like LSD. Out of the same batch I have had some feel almost exactly like LSD. And then the next time more emotional and empathogenic. It is true, one moment I can think I feel sober and the next moments a wave of emotion and insight hits me and you get to see just how mescaline works. It does have a teacherly vibe. I know why people talk about the spirit of the cactus or the spirit of the mushroom.

Honestly we can talk all we want about mescaline, but until a person visits they will only hear poetic words. :)

Last edited:
Of all the drugs I’ve ever tried it has the longest lasting effects, where I feel like the drug is working up to a month after the experience. Phrasing it as a “hard reset” is a great image. Unlike the other classics (acid,shrooms,DMT), I have less conscious insight into why I feel better after, just that something on a brain/soul level has been adjusted and it’s noticeable much longer than anything else I’ve ever tried.

This! I used to say it gave me a good luck streak for, lack of a better term. I think for me anyway it causes a shift in bassline consciousness (for weeks after) where I become more receptive to the simple beauty of things in life, draining the energy from the negative stuff. It allows me to get out of my own way and trust in life a bit more and this can snowball in a series of healthier life choices, ultimately putting me in a better place. Other psychedelics can achieve this but for me none last as long as a good cactus brew.

I think it depends on how you consume it. Pure mescaline hcl, im back to baseline at 8-10 hours, 12 at the most. Taken in the form of cactus flesh, swallowed over the course of an hour or two, has more prolonged effects.

I think it depends on how you consume it. Pure mescaline hcl, im back to baseline at 8-10 hours, 12 at the most. Taken in the form of cactus flesh, swallowed over the course of an hour or two, has more prolonged effects.

I’ve gotta ask how familiar are you with Mescaline cuz I got the impression based on your other thread not very?..

-GC

I've taken it probably, 15 or 20 times. Just for fun and spiritual exploration though, not PTSD.

Many of those trips were 24 hours long, or more.

Some interesting info here :

Its available to buy as pure mescaline thanks to our friends on the darknet. Of the three i would say its t he gentlest.

I have had pure mescaline powder before, I believe synthesized and not extracted, but not from cactus. It came on within about 30 minutes or so and yeah, the waves I agree with. For a good few hours it was like reaching different "levels" of the trip. It was like a really good song in the club that keeps going back to the bassline and you are floating after taking MDMA and whatever else and you are like "Here we go again!".

I took 500mg that time. I had energy from the mescaline, a sense of adventure and awe. Also the tiny stones/rocks that made the path we were walking on were pronounced and detailed. In that moment I could have explained the intricate detail of every single formation in the surface of the path. All the while everything was as it was supposed to be.

Then we got our cooking equipment out to make some soup, realized we had forgot to bring the cooking pot and so chucked the soup into the kettle and then drank from the kettle our concoction. Or at least I did anyway. My friend was put off.