• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Cocaine merk index is right. Le Junk is wrong

TheChemicals

Greenlighter
There was a post on the cocaine purification forum where i believe le junk said that the merk index was wrong and Cocaine HCL does not ever dissolve in acetone. I couldn't post this onto that page for some reason but i just wanted everyone to know the merk index refers to the free base of cocaine not the HCL salt. The free base dissolves very well in acetone. Try for yourself

i see it's your first post so i doubt you've read the rules so please do, welcome to BL by the way.
Thank you for taking that last line outta your post.

Yeah i got carried away i don't like people being so confident in saying things that are wrong because they don't know what they are talking about

i understand, trust me.. i have gotten in countless fights on this site resulting in me being banned for certain amounts of time and infractions and shit.. i get carried away all the time then i rethink it and erase a whole post that would otherwise start a fight lol.
But the person you are referring to hasn't been around in a while, so i don't think it would do any good to call them out.
Enjoy BL.. OD is a great group of people. (so is the rest of BL, but i stay in OD lol)
%)

but i don't understand? le-junk's purifying guide has always been reguarding powder'd cocaine, aka hcl, aka the kind you snort.

I've never seen him talk about crack or "freebase", so why would it matter if base cocaine dissolves in acetone, since he is only referring to HCL?

I suspect that the type of acetone being used may be the issue.

You are supposed to be using anhydrous acetone when washing cocaine (or other substances). Using regular acetone will result in the dissolution of the cocaine.

I suspect that the type of acetone being used may be the issue.

You are supposed to be using anhydrous acetone when washing cocaine (or other substances). Using regular acetone will result in the dissolution of the cocaine.

This is exactly what I was going to write, until I read the other replies.
@OP what form of acetone did you use? If it contains even the slightest impurities (like water) your whole acetone wash will be fucked up.
I know this because back in the day I would always wonder what was going wrong when I'd ace-wash cocaine or methamphetamine, and then my buddy the chemist who was manufacturing the methamphetamine asked me what solvent I was using, I showed him and he LOL'd at me. He taught me what tommyboy just taught you.

Since then my acetone washes have been nothing short of excellent.

I use dry acetone. if it is dry the salt will not dissolve but the free base will. the free base is also different than crack which is usually around 2/3 baking soda. you can easily purify the free base to have no baking soda in it, this ends up being more of a clear crystal than the off white rock that crack is. and as le junk said it was a bold statement to say the merk index is wrong but he was just using the salt when they refer to the freebase. freebase refers the the pure chemical not complexed with anything like HCL , sulfate or nitrate groups that cause it to form a salt or in other words "free of any base"

Last edited:
freebase refers the the pure chemical not complexed with anything like HCL , sulfate or nitrate groups that cause it to form a salt or in other words "free of any base"
I'm pretty sure "freebase" refers to the chemical process of "freeing" the "base" form from the salts. It is a method of converting the cocaine salts to it's base form by neutralizing the compounding salt (and the term "freebase" also used to describe the cocaine processed with this method or to describe using this cocaine). Base means the basic form, which is alkaline, as opposed to acidic. Freebase is the base, it is not "free of any base".

i have heard it explained both ways. since most alkaloids are unstable in their basic form when they are complexd with something that makes them more stable so you could say they have a base. i believe that it makes more sense because they wouldn't have the word free in front if it was just referring to the fact that its the basic form of an amine, it would just be called the base.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to do this process? I cant find it, everywhere I check it says its no longer available