• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

melatonin nightly for sleep?

I use melatonin for sleep every night. I have used it for about a year now and it works great. Usually I take 3 mg, sometimes 1,5 mg if I'm really tired. I've had no side effects whatsoever from melatonin.

Before I used mirtazapine and then quetiapine (Seroquel) for sleep. Seroquel is extremely effective, it doesn't matter if I would have taken huge amounts of stimulants or whatever, it would knock me out. I used Seroquel for several years (100 mg) for sleep but said to my psychiatrist that I don't want to take it anymore. It is extremely sedating even the next day, and my nose get totally stuffed from it (quetiapine is an extremely strong anti-histamine, hence the stuffy nose). Besides it's really nasty drug.

Then I suggested trying melatonin, because I can't sleep normally anymore after all years of Seroquel. To my surprise such a "mild" substance worked great. Now I don't need anything else to get sleep, only if I have to "kill" a trip or have taken stimulants I need Seroquel. With melatonin I don't feel like a walking zombie the next day.

I do wake 3-4 times (at least) every night though, this is problem I've had even before I ever used drugs. But at least I fall asleep wery well with melatonin. The only problem is, I doubt I could sleep without it anymore.

How is melatonin's pharmacology questionable? (thought it was a pretty str8-forward hormone?)
And yeah, much of the 'herbal solutions' are garbage unfortunately

I worded this wrong. Not necessarily questionable pharmacology; but the dosage range is elusive, and the part I read in the first link suggesting GABA activity seemed surprising.