MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

Your school should have some sort of counseling center where you can go and talk to someone for free. It's not a big deal to go there, as they usually deal with stuff from people having test anxiety to breakup issues to homesickness. They can probably give you some pointers on what might help you get over these feelings, as they are most likely temporary. Just off the top of my head I'd suggest exercise and generally just getting outside some. Are you working anywhere? Getting a part-time job could help you meet others outside of the people you go to school with. I always liked my mall jobs because I got to be part of this whole little world of people that weren't all at my school and weren't all my age.

I have trouble sleeping at night because so much noise throughout the hallway and the guy who lives next to me has his TV ridiculously loud.. ( i'm a very light sleeper)

Try soft foam ear plugs.. they're pretty good at cutting out background noise, without blocking out your alarm clock.

^^^
Here's what I've beein doing this term so far, seems to work. Go to class during the day and study till about 8 or 9. Then hit the campus bar or any other bar, drink,socialize till it closes then get up and repeat again. Of course I don't live on campus, but give it time and you'll adjust meet some new/interesting people and everything will fall into place.

thanks for the kind words and the advice guys.. every reply on this thread has been very helpful..

keeping my door propped open is a great idea, think i'll do that tonight.. hopefully will lead to hanging out with some people on my floor, maybe find a party or something.. i jus need to get out more.. ill let you guys know how it all works out.

College Dorms are a great place to make friends man, trust me. Just take the first step, keep your door open, talk to people on your floor, do whatever. If you have a nice front entrance to your dorm you'll probably find theres often a crowd of people out there at night.

Be friendly and people will be friendly back. A few casual greetings and smiles at people you see in your dorm can go along way to meeting people and making friends.

im 19 and started college in sept. college imo aint that great but its . all u really need is like 5 friends and u r set. I usually chill with the same crew every night and its still fun.

I was in your same situation in first semester. Decided to move back home and haven't been happier. All my friends close by, and I find myself able to study 100 times better because of this.

Just my experience. Give it some time but remember college isn't for everyone. My problem was bascially that I am generally shy and my university is full of stuck up pricks.

Peace.

Dorm life on a big campus can be tough. The good news is that there are probably a lot of people who are just as anxious as you. Although it can be exhausting, you just gotta push yourself a little to communicate with people. Ask them questions. Talk to them about sports. Talk to them about class. It might seem like more work given everything else you have going on, but at the end of the day it will feel good to open up to people and learn something about your dormmates. You'd be surprised at just how far a smile and a conversation can go.

From personal experience, I can tell you that transferring to a new university is a big move. Give it some time, and I guarantee you that things will get better as you get used to the new surroundings. :)

hang in there man i promise you many fun times ahead, like banquo said everyone else is in about the saame boat as you there and talk to people, force yourself, i know how hard it is i am extremely introverted, but in the end you will have a much better time

i have experienced the same troubles with college at a big university.... remember that you do always have the option to leave and go home (which is a very lucky option to have).... so it is your choice to be at the university. now that you are there, try it out.... see if you will find activities and people that you enjoy there. but if you end up not enjoying much about the college after feeling it out, then leave.
i have found that remembering that it is my choice to be there and that i have a choice to leave makes me feel less of a victim to the situation.
also, my experience has been that being a loner at a place with a cliquish type social scene is rarely a good time. but perhaps there are people that are also not into the conformity of cliques who you will find.

Need help studying; exams coming up

i have highschool Exams coming up, i really need to do well on these to maintain my 3.5 GPA... if i were to get all A's on all the exams in every subject, i'd have a 4.0 GPA :) :D

Yeah, so how do you guys study for big exams. The exams start on Wednesday...

these are the classes i'm going to study for.

- Algebra

- Biology

- Spanish

I'm most worried about Algebra, and Biology... i want to do well in Spanish also though. English should be pretty easy... hopefully

So any tips on studying effectively? Alot of people have different methods, and normally studying ( besides list ) doesn't help much for me... but maybe someone here knows a good way to study=D

Well, I don't know how well you'll do on your exams since you can't even place this thread in the right forum. :p

Transferring... :D

hah...

you may not want to listen to me because I don't really put this into practice (I actually didn't really study much at all), but a lot of psychological research shows that conceptual elaboration or linking facts or words you have to learn with images aids in recall. So don't just repeat facts or vocabulary or whatever by rote...try to elaborate upon each item you're trying to memorize as you go over it.

ebola

Repetition is the most important.

Then find novel ways of linking the information to other things you already know.

Then repeat some more.

And make sure you aren't just memorizing words/pictures. Actually understand the concepts (especially biology).

Spaced studying beats studying all at once. You'll remember more if you study 20 minutes/day for three days than one hour the night before.

Also, REM sleep helps solidify things you're learning, so make sure you're getting adequate sleep, especially the night before the exams.

>>Repetition is the most important.>>

most studies have found simple repetition to be highly ineffective.

ebola

Fuzzygirl has it right, study for at least 3 or 4 days before the exam. Doesn't have to be much, maybe an hour or two a night. It goes a lot farther if you give your brain time to digest it.

wow
i took a math final today, i felt really good about it. i had that feeling with pretty much every problem i answered, that i was correct. i'm not sure how i did in biology, but in spanish i think i did reasonable. nothing special though... i'll go check my grades tommorow hopefully.

Studying.

Seriously, all you hear is "Yeah you should study."

But some people don't know how.

My personal way is to rewrite notes. Theres something about me taking in the information, processing it, then putting it back down on paper.

How about you guys?