MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Salary advice: temp or perm?

Let's say you're offered 2 different jobs.

Job 1 is paying $50 per hour plus superannuation. But, there is no holiday pay, sick pay, etc. It is a one year contract. The job, being temp, well, if you don't do your job properly, you are likely to get the flick.

Job 2 is paying a salary of $75K plus superannuation. Permanent. There is sick and holiday pay, and you must get four weeks notice plus pay for this time if you are sacked.

Both jobs have similar skilled roles to fill.

What job would you take and why?

Yeah, so, things have changed.

I have a job working as a project manager now, on a contract as well, but with the opportunity to prove myself and get a full time position in property and construction management. However, there is still this opportunity as a site engineer offering 50 bucks an hour for the government on a contract. I'm tentative, though, for a couple of reasons.

One is that I'm currently working for a private company who doesn't do criminal background checks, so it's all good. However, if I work for the government, regardless of ability, they could ask me to submit to a background check at any moment and rain on my party.

But, if I get paid 50 per hour that's a 6 figure salary. So, why not investigate, huh?!

The other is I'm studying a master's degree that fits in nicely with the work in currently doing. That maybe the same, though, with the government to opportunity, so all guns point to let's try out this government opportunity.

Still weighing up my options, although the full time from the start job, which I originally mentioned, hasn't yet fruited into an offer.

In this day and age, recruitment companies rule and earn their keep, but with opportunities on the horizon included.

Which one pays the most in 5 years time?

Ordinarily I'd say take the permanent job at a lower salary because the extra pay for sick and holiday will even things out. Some times though employers will expect you to show your worth and the room to grow and progress will be worth more over the long term than quick bucks at the beginning

Well … All the contract jobs will pay $0 in 5 years time, because the contracts will have expired. If the current contract turns into fulltime, I can expect a fruitful career and nice salary, judging from what I can see around me at work.

I’m getting great exposure, right now, in my current position. It is a contract, but I feel I’m getting underpaid at $30 per hour, which is less than I was getting paid previously in another government contract at $37 per hour. Yet, the managing director tells me if I live out the initial three month contract (which is more or less a probationary period), then my full time salary would be nothing compared to what I am getting paid now – this tells me that I would likely get a 6 figure salary offer if I live out the three month probationary period.

However, I do have a need to get my life going. $50 per hour, and time and a half+ for any hours over 40 per week are really calling my name. It is just one project, as well, which may be easier to handle, and allow me to slack of during the day a bit and message my girlfriend, who isn’t getting much of a mention in my current job, because I’m so busy.

Once again, the master’s degree I’m doing will tie in well with either opportunity. I think it may coordinate better with my current job, at present, because there are numerous projects to work on, whereas if I took the government contract, it would be one main job.

The government contract is one year, with a view to another one year, plus the opportunity to either go into government full time (which I don’t think I could do due to the background check), or more private organizations in the same field.

I have about a week to make a decision. I would like to negotiate a better rate with my current employer to avoid me having to make a rash decision, but I don’t want to push it too much.

Last edited:
Fuck it, I took the 50 per hour job. You only live once, right? :D Now I'm looking at extravagant apartments that I can afford to throw money away on. Mmm and I'm going to buy a new car...something with some grunt.

Depends on my needs at the time. Both of those jobs would have been suitable for me at one point in my life.

Do they do probation periods where you are? If so, I'd wait until that passes before you increase your rent.

Depends on my needs at the time. Both of those jobs would have been suitable for me at one point in my life.

Do they do probation periods where you are? If so, I'd wait until that passes before you increase your rent.
It's not a probation period per se. In the private company job, it was a three month contract, with a view to a full time job. There was another full time job I applied for with Council that I did not hear back from, but the same recruitment "expert" led me down the path of the most recent contract I have signed - a one year contract, with an optional second year, at $50 per hour and uncapped hours per week. It will be a standard 50 hour work week, from what I can tell so far.

With regard to rent, I just have the desire to live somewhere else. I'm into apartment complexes with pools, spas, and gyms at the least, so that is what I am looking at getting over the next couple of weeks. Something furnished already too, with leather couches and a nice big TV. Possibly two bedroom, and there must be a balcony with a nice view. Domain.com is my friend at the moment, and I am shortlisting some.

I had a look at some cars over this past weekend. I'm looking at the $40 000 - $50 0000 range. I quite like BMW M3, but I would probably have to go for second hand at this stage of my career. I might go for a Japanese import skyline or WRX, though, get a 7 year loan, then perhaps sell it and refinance a few years down the track when my salary increases again, assuming I smash through this job like I am planning.

It's not a probation period per se. In the private company job, it was a three month contract, with a view to a full time job. There was another full time job I applied for with Council that I did not hear back from, but the same recruitment "expert" led me down the path of the most recent contract I have signed - a one year contract, with an optional second year, at $50 per hour and uncapped hours per week. It will be a standard 50 hour work week, from what I can tell so far.

With regard to rent, I just have the desire to live somewhere else. I'm into apartment complexes with pools, spas, and gyms at the least, so that is what I am looking at getting over the next couple of weeks. Something furnished already too, with leather couches and a nice big TV. Possibly two bedroom, and there must be a balcony with a nice view. Domain.com is my friend at the moment, and I am shortlisting some.

I had a look at some cars over this past weekend. I'm looking at the $40 000 - $50 0000 range. I quite like BMW M3, but I would probably have to go for second hand at this stage of my career. I might go for a Japanese import skyline or WRX, though, get a 7 year loan, then perhaps sell it and refinance a few years down the track when my salary increases again, assuming I smash through this job like I am planning.

In Australia, any job (contract or permanent) has a "probation period" of either 3 or 6 months. Your employment can be terminated by either you or the employer for pretty much anything during this period. Once you get past it, though, you can only be dismissed for "fair" reasons.

I think it's the compromise that allows us to have such strong unfair dismissal legislation for people who are out of their probation periods.

In Australia, any job (contract or permanent) has a "probation period" of either 3 or 6 months. Your employment can be terminated by either you or the employer for pretty much anything during this period. Once you get past it, though, you can only be dismissed for "fair" reasons.

I think it's the compromise that allows us to have such strong unfair dismissal legislation for people who are out of their probation periods.
Unfair dismissal only applies to any employee who has worked for a period of 6 months, or 12 months in a small business.

Unfair dismissal laws do not apply to

a. A probationary employee;

b. A Short Term casual employee;

c. An employee engaged for a specific period or task;

d. An employee-
(i) who is not employed under an industrial instrument; and
(ii) who is not a public servant; and
(iii) Who are high wage earners; for instance in Queensland individuals whose annual wages immediately before the dismissal are more than $68,000 or a greater amount stated or worked out in a way prescribed under a regulation

Probationary periods do not mean anything for casual employees, employees engaged for a specific period or tasks, or any other variation of that.

Unfair dismissal laws only take effect after an employee has worked for 6 months or more.

I have no probationary period.

Last edited:
Work history

I am currently looking for a job and it's really hard to get a good job because of my work history. I have worked for a lot of company's but the longest I've kept one Job is two years and was fired. I have so many regrets and can hold down a job. The most part of the blame would be mental health but now I am medicated and am better now but my work history don't look good. Does anyone else have this problem?

^yeah man, I was thinking the exact thing! I am looking for a new job while I am employed at a place where I take care of very disabled dudes, mostly seizure and schizophrenia type shit...it's tough with my shitty resume :) Today I was too depressed to do much good...

Gotta b determined like you are, research. Do some googling. Its not easy to find a good job,its hard as fuck. Its not impossible.

Firstly, let me ask you some questions,

Are u a indoor person or outdoor.

Would you rather get paid by production(amount of work done)outdoors?,Or take an hourly job.

Do you have any education, ged?2-4+yrs college?

Start making a rough draft,i go back 4 years and keep my current job active. Get their number and addy,write your tasks,chores,etc.

Later you can make changes, keep it short and simple.

Now u got something,now come up with a field of study that interests you, me i chose 2do 'line work,mainly because i like throwing things,climbing trees and utility poles, i chose the telephone profession. Feel like I am making a change in peoples life for the good so pulling 2,000ft of fiber optic cable (20) utility poles=happy faces.

Ive also worked amile underground shoveling coal.

So jobs require experience,and where do u get it?

If your looking for just a job then look into the temp services that pay daily(like labor ready and other workforce places ) those places are first come and first serve, get there early.

If you chose a trade school/program think if you are doing 1yr,2 or 4+, ive seen kids as young as 17 making over $100,000 doing construction work.

get into something you like, not dred.

Ill post more later , goodluck!

Hell yeah!! And dont think that you will need some 2year trade certificate to get a good paying job. I've seen people take accelerated 'trade' classes, and get quicker jobs then the folk that are still doing 2years worth of studies.

You don't have to have a college degree to get a good job. People think construction workers don't make any money..well you gotta start somewhere! And its usually at the bottom of the totem pole.

Stick with it,learn how to do the work, you can always re purchase hand tools, u learn the skill then tools will be provided!

Look into your states 'vocational rehabilitation' programs, those people will get you a free buss pass, or cut you a $35 check to cash for gas$ (to get to and from work). They also offer workforce classes.

Yeah, this sounds good. This neck injury has limited my choices drastically. If I was OK, I would try for a trade too :) One day I hope to get disability, that is my dream!

One day I hope to get disability, that is my dream!

That mailbox check is nice yo, what if you were able to get more then one check a month? Some trade programs are easier then you think.

Not all 'jobs' are physical, some require more logic thinking.

My dad is a retired chemistry(environmental toxicology) professor, he's on disability now.. He's worked hard to receive Tenure(teachers retirement) along with his retirement check from his job with safe state.

--

Whatever you decide to do, just know that your life is worth more then your job, so always think safe.

^Thanks! Good point, 2 checks is better. And safe is better. I always end up injuring myself at work. Maybe I should take that point off my resume,lol jk

Your experiences with self-employment

Hello BL.

I'm entertaining the idea of becoming my own boss - since, you know, taking orders and fixed working hours kinda suck and all... So I ask you to share your experiences if you've got any (or maybe you know someone who's self-employed), the good, the bad and the ugly ones. Why did/do you do it? How did/do you do it? Are/were you successful, if yes, why? If no, why not? Would you recommend it to someone else? Are you happy or is it a burden? What does it take to be independent? Any recommentations on how to do it? What are the things I need to know/study/learn?

I'm aware that different countries have different regulations, hence my questions are rather general ones (I'm from Germany, if you're too, then details are much appreciated).

I was thinking of maybe some kind of online shop (I know, there are millions...) or some form of counseling maybe. I don't want to get rich (though it would be a nice bonus), I'd be happy with just enough to live on, maybe being able to support a family in the future (big difference, I know).

Any insight, help, idea, tip, warning, story etc. is most welcome.

Thank you and have a nice day everyone!

bnm

Resume | Resume Software program | Any feedback, please? | ResumeMaker Professional?

I was hoping others would be able to assist me, please? :D

I will be searching for jobs shortly, I would like to purchase a Resume Software program.

Do you have any particular favorites or suggestions?

I found these recommendations:
2015 Best Resume Writing Software Review

It seems that ResumeMaker Professional is getting THE BEST reviews.

Can you possibly give me some helpful feedback or suggestions on the most effective software to create various resume formats?

Thank you.
(Also, do you recommend a good site for resume writing?)