MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

google search for "free open office resume templates" produces around 670,000 results. none of them work for you?

if this is how hard you work just to create a resume, any employer is going to be lucky to hire you :)

alasdair

I got mine from the Student Success Center at my University. You could try walking into any of them and asking for templates. All they asked me was my major and if the resume was going to be academic based or work experience based. That had several different templates that I was able to take home with me. They only asked me for my student ID number after I got all of it, and it was just for documentation purposes. If I made something up it would be too late for them to do anything about it. Even if you were honest and told them that you were not a student there but really needed help they would probably at least give you a few templates and send you on your way.

Also, I think that most public libraries have free workshops on resume building, so you should probably check that out. The library probably has Microsoft Word on the computers there, so you can make it there if you feel more comfortable using Word instead of Office. Most libraries have you sign in with an ID number they register you with which makes it so that if you save something on the computer, it will be there when you sign back on under your specific log in info for the library computers.

I would bring a flash drive to save it to also, and another thing you can do is email your resume to yourself via an attachment. This way if your home computer is not compatible with the program your resume is saved to at the library, you can just forward the email with your resume attached when you are applying for jobs, and just remove 'fwd' from the subject and erase the old text so that it would be like writing a new email, but with the resume attached already. If the job is for a company that requires you to upload your resume onto their website then you can try to upload it by choosing the file from your flash drive, otherwise you would have to go back to the library to upload it from your specific log in there. Just make sure that you remember where you saved it to, although you can just open it from the flash drive if you can't find it on the hard drive.

just curious, what kind of job are you trying to get?

I wouldnt spend too much time on a resume if its not really a college degree kind of job.

Its really just about your prior work history for most jobs, and if they see you have done similiar jobs in the past, theyll bring you in for an interview, which is way more important than the resume.

of course if it is a serious job then a resume is even more important but id imagine someone applying for that would know how to use word processing software.

^ i find that having a resume - even if you're not distributing it in the traditional manner - is a worthwhile exercise.

compiling a resume ensures that you have a reference copy of dates, names, etc. of previous positions which you'll invariably need when applying for a job and have to fill out an application. once it's created, keeping a resume up to date is a simple task which will save you time and frustration in the future.

further, it's a worthwhile exercise because it also helps you to consider what you're good at and requires you communicate that in a succinct manner. it's good for confidence in general and particularly useful if you ever get a chance encounter which could lead to employment. you'll be able to talk with authority about your experience and skills at short notice.

alasdair

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite templates.

You might have to recreate it from scratch from Powerpoint or Framemaker, but it's very eye-catching.

^ i find that having a resume - even if you're not distributing it in the traditional manner - is a worthwhile exercise.

compiling a resume ensures that you have a reference copy of dates, names, etc. of previous positions which you'll invariably need when applying for a job and have to fill out an application. once it's created, keeping a resume up to date is a simple task which will save you time and frustration in the future.

further, it's a worthwhile exercise because it also you to consider what you're good and requires you to communicate that in a succinct manner. it's good for confidence in general and particularly useful if you ever get a chance encounter which could lead to employment. you'll be able to talk with authority about your experience and skills at short notice.

alasdair

Agreed. A resume is basically a self-audit of what you have to offer society.

This is one of my favorite templates.

You might have to recreate it from scratch from Powerpoint or Framemaker, but it's very eye-catching.
that is slightly unusual. it's not clear to me what the difference is between "areas of strength" and "summary of qualifications". to me, most of his qualifications are not qualifications.

also, "further information available upon request" (and any phrase like it) is completely redundant. what, if there's something else they need to know they shouldn't contact you unless your resume explicitly includes this?

alasdair

I was speaking more of the design. You could easily fill in those spots with different things (volunteer work, etc) or expand on other areas.

Offered another job - How to tell new boss?

So here's the facts:

I was just offered a job halfway across the country at a great national firm and I basically need to take it for both my career's sake and personal financial responsibilities. I really didn't think I would get the job so I accepted a much lower paying job in my current State prior to receiving an offer for this new position. I've only been working at my new job for 2 weeks and, honestly, this boss NEEDS someone to be working my position. He's a sole practitioner so I'm the only other person in the office (and he's gone most of the time). The new job starts in January and I know I need to tell my current boss that I will be leaving. The combined facts that he's kinda an asshole and that I told him I was looking for a long-haul position (which I was for both jobs but was 95% sure the other job was not going to happen) is why I suspect I'm going to be berated and humiliated by him when I tell him about my decision.

Anyway, what's the best way to handle this? I don't want this to blow up and cause him to basically scream at me for an hour before I run out in tears. Has anybody been in this situation? Any advise would be great from an employer OR employee perspective.

If you don't need a reference from him and he is no longer any use to you, then just leave without him knowing and then send him an Email saying:

Dear Mr Boss,

Because you are well known as a swaggering bully and a thug whose communication skills are equal to that of a silverback gorilla, and due to the inevitability of your resorting to intimidation and aggression to express your displeasure because your decimal pointed IQ renders you unable to tackle anyone on an intellectual level I have been forced to employ subterfuge in leaving my position. I am sure you will twist this so it looks like I am the one in the wrong but the fact that I felt unable to approach you on this matter due to your reputation for sadistically humiliating people in order to further inflate your already mistakenly swollen ego reflects far worse on you than it does on me. Feel free to berate me to my former colleagues once I am gone but we all know that your macho posturing is merely overcompensation. Overcompensation for your insipid little micro penis. Overcompensation for the guilt you feel for experimenting with your sexuality in college and overcompensation for being unable to satisy your wife in bed. I hope that this eventually drives home to you how important it is that you reassess your character both at work and at home. You are a font of misplaced rage and a prime candidate for a frontal lobotomy. I hope you either change completely and immediately, apologising to everyone you have ever unduly hurt, ot that you get run over by drunk midget in a Bigfoot Truck when you cross the street,

Fuck off and Die,

AmroRoark.

And clear your desk and sneak out when he isn't looking.

So here's the facts:

I was just offered a job halfway across the country at a great national firm and I basically need to take it for both my career's sake and personal financial responsibilities. I really didn't think I would get the job so I accepted a much lower paying job in my current State prior to receiving an offer for this new position. I've only been working at my new job for 2 weeks and, honestly, this boss NEEDS someone to be working my position. He's a sole practitioner so I'm the only other person in the office (and he's gone most of the time). The new job starts in January and I know I need to tell my current boss that I will be leaving. The combined facts that he's kinda an asshole and that I told him I was looking for a long-haul position (which I was for both jobs but was 95% sure the other job was not going to happen) is why I suspect I'm going to be berated and humiliated by him when I tell him about my decision.

Anyway, what's the best way to handle this? I don't want this to blow up and cause him to basically scream at me for an hour before I run out in tears. Has anybody been in this situation? Any advise would be great from an employer OR employee perspective.

This is a tough situation. Most of the times I have left jobs I have given notice in writing. I think it is the professional thing to do. Whether or not you choose to deliver this letter to him in person is completely up to you.

^yeah, just be a grown up and give your two weeks notice. if he talks any shit, you're free to simply walk out - you've only been there two weeks, and you've got another job, so you don't need him for a reference. but it's poor form to be unnecessarily rude to people you're involved with professionally, no matter how briefly. you never know when something's going to come back and bite you in the ass.

two weeks notice

If she has only been there two weeks then a full two week notice may not be necessary. When I posted about written notice, I really meant a resignation. Like you said, she's only been there two weeks, has another job, and doesn't need him as a reference.

If I was in the OP's shoes and my boss was an asshole, I don't think I'd want to spend two more weeks with him. Now if he was a genuinely good person, I may offer to work until he found a replecement. But the way it sounds, the faster and easier the OP can get out of there the better off she will be.

Go sober. Eye contact. Be yourself. Well be a lil more than yourself. Be confident not cocky. You got this!

Familiarise yourself with the restaurant’s menu

this advice (in some form or another) is really the key to almost any interview. research the company where you are interviewing, and get to know as much you can about the specific position you are being considered for. the purpose of an interview (for you) is to assert your contention that you can do the job well, and back it up with as much evidence as possible. the more you know about the job, the better able you'll be to understand and communicate how your past experience and general skill set have prepared you to do that job well.

Last edited:
Don't fall asleep during the interview.

The last job interview I went on, there was a guy there who fucking fell asleep during the interview. The supervisor turned to the biggest lady and he's giving her this glare and she goes "...WTF I'm awake!!!" and points to the guy that's sleeping. I thought that was funny.

But yeah, you don't have a fucking chance in hell if you fall asleep during the interview.

^ you were in an interview in which more than one person was being interviewed at the same time? what was the position?

alasdair

it is not uncommon for bulk recruitment processes to take place when there are entire new teams to establish or a number of varying roles available. they gauge how people get along in groups through direct observation.

but we are talking about entry level roles or slightly higher.

^ you were in an interview in which more than one person was being interviewed at the same time? what was the position?

i was part of a group interview for a consulting position at a top tier financial services firm. most portions of the interview were one-on-one (we all did the same rotation, but in different orders), but we were together for a breakfast/orientation, lunch and a wrap-up. it's definitely a very different experience when you get to meet your competition.