• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Drug/Legal issues impacting school/job

Become a doctor and come to lebanon. Learn arabic and start working. Doctors here make at the very least 50/appointment. They usually have 2-4 appointments an hour. So if you work 5 hours a day, 20 days a month, you're looking at 10-20k per month. Nobody does drug tests here.

The minor annoyance of learning functional Arabic as a pot head aside....
It's all money and good times with brown women until someone gets kidnapped and then forced to praise Allah at gunpoint on national TV as the Ma always said.
I have a feeling they're willing to pay that much more for the insurance risk of working in a country like Lebanon than for any other reason. Drug testing under such conditions seems a tad unnecessary.

What type of careers are available that do not drug test? I'm a college student right now with great grades, so I can pretty much go into whatever field I want. I'm not really interested in any career, but I know I want to earn a nice about of money, no less than $50,000 a year. I love drugs and would not give them up for a job, unless I was earning $80,000+ a year, and I would only do that for a few years to save up and get ahead. I'm definitely not addicted to anything and can easily refrain from drugs for any amount of time, but I find that using them responsibly really enhances my quality of life and I would not give up that part of my life for a career. Passing a drug test to get a job is no problem. So what types of careers do you guys know of that do not drug test regularly? Your answers will greatly help by providing direction. I need to know what kinds of careers to investigate. Thanks. ;)

It's highly advisable not to have the word "drugs" play any part in your major life choices unless you are going into the pharmaceutical business. It's hard to imagine you have any chance of knowing what you want "to do" if you primarily "do" drugs.
You say you're not willing to give up "that part of my life" for a career, but it seems like you don't even know what kind of lives are possible if you get into the right career. Are you sure it'd be such a sacrifice to go clean for as long as necessary to land the job you REALLY want? Are you sure whatever decision you're making under such parameters is really in your best interests, or is it simply in the interest of carrying on in habitual self indulgence?

Not judging, I'm stoned right now and I was lucky enough not to be tested working for a university. Just food for thought. I am willing to go clean for years if necessary, in order to make the most out of it later. There is always time for drugs later on down the line. You never want to be unwilling to give something like that up IMO.

TL;DR

fake piss

Stockpile.

Last edited:
The warehouse I work at tests randomly. I've been tested a few times. My hire was contingent on passing a drug test. I recently got hired at another place and my hire was also contingent on a clean drug test. I had to take it within 48 hours of my interview at a place they designated or I wouldn't get the job, either.

Try a different country lolz. Fucking US. If I do my job, and do it well then what concern of yours is it what I do otherwise? Can't stand that sort of breach.

The warehouse I work at tests randomly. I've been tested a few times. My hire was contingent on passing a drug test. I recently got hired at another place and my hire was also contingent on a clean drug test. I had to take it within 48 hours of my interview at a place they designated or I wouldn't get the job, either.

very similar experience in banking. had 48 hours from the time i was given a formal written offer, although my current employer (a major american bank) has since ceased its drug testing program.

it's a shitty reality, but it's easy to handle if you know what to expect. as i mentioned above, positive tests have gone down despite drug use going up. make of that what you will....

One thing that you don’t want to do is poke your nose around ANY forum on the Internet. You don’t know if these people are uneducated or unemployed. They are nameless and faceless. Depression and anger is what becomes of many people who are unemployed. If they see that a felon is successful or attempts to be successful when they are not, embarrassment may cause them to lash out on you. ANYONE that has a career (felon or clean record) is more likely to be a positive thinker and to have job skills.

One good thing to do that has benefitted me is to find real people who have been convicted of felonies and who have careers. I have two mentors (one felon is an accountant, the other felon is in IT) that took me years to find. You might not even need someone to talk to. Just find real life stories on Google of people that have a felony and a career. Do research on these people and you might be shocked at what you have learned. The inspiration from these real life stories should give you the positive self esteem boost that you need. When you go to bed every night, you have to believe in your heart that you will have a better life some day.

Many felons who don’t have mental tenacity tend to post on different forums. This leads many to despair, depression, anger, and general emotional instability, all of which will severely limit your job prospects.

I hate to sound upsetting (but, I’m sure you’ve been told already), it is a VERY difficult road, but not close to impossible. If a regular person has to go through 4 interviews before getting a job, you will have to go through 20. However, if you’re smart, you can have an edge on these people. Job search information can cut this number in half. I recommend Job Interviews for Dummies. You must develop patience, but also, face these challenges head on.

As far as skills—You must outwork everyone else. I graduated at the top of my class, with 2 internships, 2 student organization leadership positions, and volunteer work. Can you top that? I didn’t think I could even get into a 4 year college, let alone achieve what I had. Get competitive… You will need a competitive attitude.

Do you know what occupation you would like to have? What is the competition like for that occupation? Is it a fast growing occupation? Are there more applicants compared to job openings? If, through research, you find out that the competition is too high, you would have to select a different position. You can always become a nurse. I know of many nurses who are felons. The more nurses there are, the less risk of infection and less risk of accidental death to patients. So, health care organizations will overlook a felony. I went into IT. Our colleges are only producing half the number of computer science graduates needed to fill computer software positions.

Focus on smaller companies where you can almost directly talk to who is in charge of hiring. Larger companies are almost impossible to work for because of their blanket policies.

EVERYONE is having a difficult time right now in this economy. You will have to take a lower salary. Tell your employer about the $2,500 tax credit for hiring a felon. And tell them about bonding insurance.

Remember that ANYONE can be a felon. More than 50% of Americans tried marijuana. They had to pass the joint back, right? That would qualify as distribution and it is a felony. Mere possession of marijuana in some states is a felony. 75% of Americans drove under the influence. In some states that is a felony. If they accidentally hit someone, they would have been charged with a felony. Don’t let hypocrites get you down.

The laws are slowly changing. Write your politicians to support Ban the Box and to limit conviction searches to a certain date. Keep reading about Ban the Box in Google News. It will keep your spirits up.

I am certain in my mind that if you keep trying and keep staying positive, you will prevail.

I noticed you listed a few statistics ("More than 50% of Americans have tried marijuana"). Could you list your sources, please?

More than 50% of Americans tried marijuana.
75% of Americans drove under the influence.
if only 50% of americans have tried it, how can 75% of americans have possibly driven under the influence?

can you provide sources for these wild claims or do i assume they're just fabricated?

alasdair

I noticed you listed a few statistics ("More than 50% of Americans have tried marijuana"). Could you list your sources, please?

if only 50% of americans have tried it, how can 75% of americans have possibly driven under the influence?

can you provide sources for these wild claims or do i assume they're just fabricated?

alasdair

Jesus....did y'all bother reading the rest of the post? :D

IMHO he offers a message of hope and some solid advice drawn from his own experiences to back that up.

While I'm not a convicted felon, I have met a few in my line of work. They are also discriminated against while searching for apartments. I'm sure a convicted felon is better off renting from a smaller outfit rather than a large corporate-owned property with blanket policies against renting to convicted felons.

Besides, when he was talking about driving under the influence, I think he meant alcohol.

^ i read the whole thing and he made some interesting points.

that shouldn't preclude me for asking him to substantiate some of his quantitative claims, should it?

alasdair

I am not a felon, but I have 2 DUI's, multiple drug crimes, and juvenile convictions under my belt; this would be all well an fine if I were still able to function as a Pastry Chef but due to health issues I'll most likely never be able to function in that capacity again in my life. I'm awaiting a Vocational Rehab evaluation that offers career training, possible university scholarships, and job placement but I need to find a job in the mean time in order to keep a roof over my head.
Any suggestions? There is no promise that I will get that career rehabilitation services and a contingency plan is always necessary in life.
Ali- You seem like quite a successful man, any ideas?

Given that I am a convicted felon for crack cocaine, I live in Florida,I just graduated with an undergrad, I am applying to phd programs and I work with autistic children, I feel I have something to add in this subject.

First off, lets get it all out of the way. Yes, its bullshit that non-violent offenders have to deal with the double standards imposed by a system that systematically tosses folks into the trash. Yes, it an outrage that engaging in behavior that two of our former presidents have admitted to engaging in can haunt you for the rest of your life. It's unfair, it's an abortion of freedom and so on and so forth. Now get off the pity pot and make some plans. Recognize the injustice for what it is and move on.

I got into the position I am in by not getting my feelings hurt and refusing to take the inevitable torrent of rejection personally. I wrote letters, volunteered, worked unbelievably shitty jobs all while getting letters of recommendation from EVERYONE along the way. After enough experience explaining myself to people that I wanted something from I was able to craft my story into a narrative of triumph and personal progression. I also got organized and have every document regarding my past ready to forward in a moments notice. Having all of these otherwise deleterious documents handy will impress potential employers and show that you are not hiding your past and are ready to confront it. I also have a paper trail of PROOF of my recovery that consists of an accordion file stuffed with Dean's list letters, letters of recommendations, certification from every bullshit employment program out there, etc.

In short, you need to recognize the limitations that are now sure to follow you everywhere and be determined in discovering strategies needed to circumvent these limitations. Don't listen to people who tell you that what your trying to do is impossible ( there will be plenty), don't get discouraged and understand that setbacks are all part of moving forward and essential to you learning how to succeed.

Good luck

Jesus....did y'all bother reading the rest of the post? :D

IMHO he offers a message of hope and some solid advice drawn from his own experiences to back that up.

While I'm not a convicted felon, I have met a few in my line of work. They are also discriminated against while searching for apartments. I'm sure a convicted felon is better off renting from a smaller outfit rather than a large corporate-owned property with blanket policies against renting to convicted felons.

Besides, when he was talking about driving under the influence, I think he meant alcohol.

LOL I wasn't dissenting with the poster, I was just asking to see where those sources came from. I like numbers :D

I am not a felon, but I have 2 DUI's, multiple drug crimes, and juvenile convictions under my belt; this would be all well an fine if I were still able to function as a Pastry Chef but due to health issues I'll most likely never be able to function in that capacity again in my life. I'm awaiting a Vocational Rehab evaluation that offers career training, possible university scholarships, and job placement but I need to find a job in the mean time in order to keep a roof over my head.
Any suggestions? There is no promise that I will get that career rehabilitation services and a contingency plan is always necessary in life.
Ali- You seem like quite a successful man, any ideas?

Maybe you could work odd jobs, like a handyman's assistant or something? Sorry I can't think of anything else lol!

Given that I am a convicted felon for crack cocaine, I live in Florida,I just graduated with an undergrad, I am applying to phd programs and I work with autistic children, I feel I have something to add in this subject.

First off, lets get it all out of the way. Yes, its bullshit that non-violent offenders have to deal with the double standards imposed by a system that systematically tosses folks into the trash. Yes, it an outrage that engaging in behavior that two of our former presidents have admitted to engaging in can haunt you for the rest of your life. It's unfair, it's an abortion of freedom and so on and so forth. Now get off the pity pot and make some plans. Recognize the injustice for what it is and move on.

I got into the position I am in by not getting my feelings hurt and refusing to take the inevitable torrent of rejection personally. I wrote letters, volunteered, worked unbelievably shitty jobs all while getting letters of recommendation from EVERYONE along the way. After enough experience explaining myself to people that I wanted something from I was able to craft my story into a narrative of triumph and personal progression. I also got organized and have every document regarding my past ready to forward in a moments notice. Having all of these otherwise deleterious documents handy will impress potential employers and show that you are not hiding your past and are ready to confront it. I also have a paper trail of PROOF of my recovery that consists of an accordion file stuffed with Dean's list letters, letters of recommendations, certification from every bullshit employment program out there, etc.

In short, you need to recognize the limitations that are now sure to follow you everywhere and be determined in discovering strategies needed to circumvent these limitations. Don't listen to people who tell you that what your trying to do is impossible ( there will be plenty), don't get discouraged and understand that setbacks are all part of moving forward and essential to you learning how to succeed.

Good luck

Now THAT'S a story of hope!

Some jobs offer a bonus to employers in whom hire ex-cons. Im not sure if it is applicable in your state, or even if Im right because I only seen it in an episode of "The Office." It was a pretty good episode.

^ i read the whole thing and he made some interesting points.

That's ^ all you had to say the first time :)

It was not your critique that bothered me, it was that you offered no positive statements for a post that deserved some.

that shouldn't preclude me for asking him to substantiate some of his quantitative claims, should it?

alasdair

Tude did a good job of that and you have every right to echo her or anyone else's sentiments. Alasdair, you are an honest person and I respect your bluntness. I enjoy reading your posts because you have a way of saying things where nobody has to guess what you are thinking. All I'm really asking is for you to take it easy on the newbie posters. Even Mary Poppins said a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

^Cool cool.

So I signed up for an extra shift at my new job. After it allowed me to sign up, I noticed the wording for the job description doesn't quite match mine. Now I'm not sure what I'll be doing, so I'm going to have to back out. Dang it, I would've loved the extra money!

It can be done; all depends on what types of companies you are after and what type of work you want to do.

I didnt read this whole post but I've always been in the corporate world; I go in through third party staffing agencies who should be running the background check on me and I tell them upfront what to expect and they let it pass; I have drug trafficking and a DUI that SHOULD be gone now since I wrapped up the program; plus, my trafficking was from 04 so that will be getting wiped anyway; lastly, most places only go back 7 years, so not sure how old your conviction is but there are ways around.

I hate those who use this as an excuse not to work. same goes for addiction. I was a working heroin junkie w/ a ripping habit and a bad background. hell, if I did it then anyone on this planet can do it.

Most companies only look back 7 years.

A lot of people in here don't support lying, because it can bite you in the ass, but you're more likely to get the job in the first place if you do lie.

By the time I finish school, my felonies will be close to 10 years old, and I will not be mentioning them on applications. I know some one who just got a job in a security field for over 100 a year, by neglecting to mention his older felonies. That said, he DID mention his newer ones.

Make yourself hireable. Increase you worth with an education and work history.

I don't know whether or not to lie or say "will explain" or something on applications. I was charged with a felony, am currently on probation and my last job they didn't say anything when they background checked me. The job I currently hired me on the spot so they didn't even check.

But would yall recommend putting "will explain" or something on an application? Technically I won't be convicted if I finish my probation, but it still shows up on background checks. My brother had a felony drug possession close to 10 years ago and he was working for a bank for several months but then got fired when they found out, slow process to check I guess.

I did one of those random background checks off the internet that you pay 5$ or so for and all my arrests came back but very little info on them. Even the ones that were dismissed. It really sucks because there is no central background check database companies use so even if you get it expunged or dismissed it still can show up.