Career Advice MEGA - Courses and Careers related to Drugs

Whatever you decide to do, pick something you are passionate about so that it fills the void that your d.o.c. left.

Kudos for aspiring to a clean life doing something you love. Keep pushing, anything is possible.

Try something that benefits humanity instead of pushing more and more anti-depressents on an overmedicated society.

LinkedIn is a good start.

If you have a couple of years of device sales, it shouldn't be difficult to get into pharma. They'll hire just about anyone to carry a bag at an entry level that has decent track record in sales, no matter what industry you come from.

doesn't hurt if you're a smoking hot chick, either.

it becomes more difficult to change from device to pharma or vice versa the higher you get. but if you're looking at entry level stuff, it shouldn't be too difficult to break into pharma. it's cut throat and shitty in the beginning, but if you can make it for a few years in the trenches it can turn into an incredibly lucrative career path.

LinkedIn is a good start.

If you have a couple of years of device sales, it shouldn't be difficult to get into pharma. They'll hire just about anyone to carry a bag at an entry level that has decent track record in sales, no matter what industry you come from.

doesn't hurt if you're a smoking hot chick, either.

it becomes more difficult to change from device to pharma or vice versa the higher you get. but if you're looking at entry level stuff, it shouldn't be too difficult to break into pharma. it's cut throat and shitty in the beginning, but if you can make it for a few years in the trenches it can turn into an incredibly lucrative career path.

I'll just say it. Former cheerleader friends of mine get hired for this shit all the time because they've been trained from a young age to be ENTHUSIASTIC and HAPPY about... LOTS OF THINGS!

Even unethical pill pushing can put a SMILE on their faces!

I have two years experience in medical device sales but I'm just not passionate about machines and gadgets. I have a genuine interest in how drugs affect people (and not just psychopharmacological drugs).

if you have a *genuine* interest in biochemistry and physiology, pharm repping is the last thing you want to do. there is a very good reason that hot chicks land these jobs and its because there is not a shred of sales, marketing or thought provoking work involved in pharma sales. your job is to drive around, deliver food to doctor's offices and hand out free samples. you will not be intelligently convincing MDs that your particular drug is better than another- or having meaningful conversations with them at all.

sorry for the negativity, but the truth behind these kinds of jobs isnt represented well enough (probably cause people in those jobs dont want to admit they hate it lol)

Are you attractive? This is key in being a successful rep. I have been in medicine for 14+ years.
My brother in law said he was thinking about doing this at a family dinner. I told him I love you but you are not good looking enough for that job.

Worked in healthcare for a bit. Only thing i ever saw drug reps do was buy lunch! Are you good at ordering take out?

The rep buys lunch for the staff in order for them to appreciate their presence which truly is a disruption in schedule but may perhaps be beneficial about learning about new drugs to help patients and/or possibly getting a % of how much the doctor prescribes the drug.

If you are a rep, go big with lunch. Fuck the sandwiches. Bring in hot items and a loaded salad. Perhaps a decadent dessert. Bitches love decadence.

What is a good place to start to learn about clinical pharmacology?

I have frequented this site and opiophile.org for over a year now. During the countless hours I've spent browsing through threads I have learned quite a bit about pharmacology, but only very basic information. I am currently going to school for BS in Computer Information Technology, however pharmacology has always fascinated me. I was wondering if any of the pharmacists who browse this site, or any other pharmacology students, or even individuals with a background in pharmacology could provide me any links, books, etc. so I can inform myself about the subject of pharmacology. The primary reason being to learn more about harm reduction - which if I understand correctly is the primary objective of this community.

P.S. Anything about introductory chemistry would also be appreciated. For example, when I google something like 2-fa on Google the wikipedia page for it sounds like a foreign language to me. I would like to further my education with an additional knowledge of pharmacology. My philosophy is - you can never learn enough. Educating yourself on a wide spectrum of various subjects is what I am all about.

Thanks for anyone who can provide information as to where to start to learn pharmacology by myself - not in a classroom as I can barely afford the IT classes I am already taking. :)

Cheers,
MF4M

Coursera

Try taking some of the pharmacology and neuroscience courses they have there (it's free). You'll learn a ton.

Homeless -> Education & Careers

get a copy of the pharmacological basis of therapeutics by goodman & gilman

read it

Few people have the DISCIPLINE to learn such a hard topic on their own
Even if you have the books, without deadlines and professors and grades how will you keep it up>
Props if you pull it off tho

Few people have the DISCIPLINE to learn such a hard topic on their own
Even if you have the books, without deadlines and professors and grades how will you keep it up>
Props if you pull it off tho
While this is true, it isn't a topic I intend to master. I just would like additional stuff to do during my sober time and educating myself on pharmacology is one of them.
I'm weird like that lol.

Research chemist

With legal highs as popular as they are; the drug-makers must be making a fortune!
My question is : how would one become a research chemist?
I'm just wondering because I have no clue.

Like Bob said, go to university and get a degree in chem.

psychopharmacology jobs?

Although I'm kinda young, I'm sure that's what I want to study in college. What jobs do people with psychopharmacology degrees usually get ? What are the differences between PP and psychiatry ?
Thanks

While I don't know much about psychopharmacology, the first thing I would do is google psychopharmacology careers.

A shot in the dark is that PP involves the making of the medications while the psychiatrist is the one who prescribes them out. Once again, google or wikipedia will prolly yield the quickest answers to your questions.

Why the interest in psychopharmacology?